shape
carat
color
clarity

same diamond listed by different sites?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ssharma1121

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a diamond again, so I have been searching by price comparison. How can you tell if the same stone is listed by different vendors? I was thinking of looking at the stone''s measurements, since they don''t always list the report. I think some of the diamonds I have found are actually the same diamond with the same measurements since many of the vendors use a database. Am I correct? I do not want to make any wrong assumptions!

Thanks in advance!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
That's correct - in instances where the diamond is sourced through the virtual list, it may be available through many vendors.

The downside of that is it might not be available when called for; it might already be out on memo or spoken for.

The upside is that, if available, you can source the diamond through the vendor you'd prefer to deal (i.e. whoever offers the policies and services that best suit your individual needs.)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The only way to be really certain is to match the report number. That said, it’s very unusual for two stones to be identical in terms of weight, clarity, color, all major dimensions, table size, fluorescence and lab. Since these things are all usually included in the online advertisements, it’s a pretty good clue that you’re talking about the same stone.

I wrote an article about this in that’s in the journal section.

As Allison mentioned, just because a dealer advertises a particular stone for a particular price doesn’t necessarily mean they can get it. That's one of the annoying things about the big 'virtual' lists.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results