shape
carat
color
clarity

salton jewelry spa is awesome for cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Headlight.....You are my kind of woman...LMAO

If I love something, I must have MULTIPLES....just in case
9.gif

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, where do you get this Salton cleaner? Libster, where did you get yours? Yay! A new toy!
Luv
1.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have quite a few customers who ask me about this cleaning solution. I may be willing to buy a bucket and put it into reasonable size packages if people are interested in it. What''s a good size? I"m thinking 4 oz. bottles of the powder. Opinions?

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/5/2004 11:20:36 AM
Author: denverappraiser
I have quite a few customers who ask me about this cleaning solution. I may be willing to buy a bucket and put it into reasonable size packages if people are interested in it. What''s a good size? I''m thinking 4 oz. bottles of the powder. Opinions?

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Neil -- how do your customers even know about this cleaning powder? Are you referring to the Gem Sparkle or to the powder that comes in the Salton Jewelry Spa that is produced by a company called Oakite Chemtall???

If you could get your hands on this powder (I stated the ingredients in an earlier post on this thread) I would DEFINITELY want it. The size that comes with the unit is a 3.5 ounce. I think something LARGER would be BETTER! Like a 12-15 or even 20 ounce.

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Headlight, bless you, you make me laugh! Thanks for doing all the reserach for us
36.gif

I would like some of that powder too Neil!! I''m going to order the Salton today!!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Headlight,

It''s the 50 pound bucket of powder that I''m asking about. You mentioned that you had found a vendor for it. People have bought the Salton unit and also the Speedbrite unit and like them but the powder seems to be better than the liquid. As you point out, it''s difficult to find.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered from the website DMART2000.com They appeared to have the best price. You guys have me so excited to clean my jewelry
36.gif
...LOL

http://www.dmart2.com/sajwjespa.html

Oh, and count me in on the cleaning powder too....Headlight has sold me!!! Headlight do you work in Advertising or Marketing? If not, you should
9.gif

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
This thread has created a monster!
emdgust.gif

The things we do to keep our rings sparkling!
emteeth.gif

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Headlight, abbot,Neil, Ninasstar, quick question before I order…does the salton clean noticeably better than just regular dawn/ammonia? I usually clean daily with dawn and it does make my rings really sparkle..but if it’s even better, well, can’t resist that!!
9.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Headlight,

The manufacturer isn't nearly as cooperative with me as they were with you.

".... However, I worked with their technical person and she recommended another powder, basically the same, just a little more powerful so instead of using two scoops she advised one. This powder came in a 50 lb. pail (the size of a paint pail). So, I ordered it figuring I'd store it in the garage and have a lifetime supply of jewelry cleaner!!! They get back to me after I place the order saying that they cannot deliver "chemicals" to residences, only businesses"

Was this offer made by the Oakite people? Any idea what the product was?

Neil Beaty, GG ISA

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Neil,
The "alternative" powder suggested was the Oakite 90 (as opposed to the Oakite 295). This was priced to me as $2.88/lb -- 48 lb. bucket is $138.24.

I don''t have enough science background to know what this means, but they told me that the 295 is a direct current and the 90 is a reverse current. I have the material data sheets -- if you want me to fax them to you, pm me!

Slammie,
As I said, this is the best cleaner I have encountered. Ammonia does "a little" for me, but nothing to write home about, and dish washing liquid seems to leave a residue, in my eyes.

Like I said earlier, my stone is not a "superb" stone, and so it isn''t so "forgiving" if there is a film or something -- that''s why I''m so picky!!!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
My god I totally understand Headlight! my stone CONSTANTLY has residue, even though I clean it Every single morning and a few times a day, depending on the severity of my neurosis that day... Plus my setting sucks and collects junk on the pavillion that I can wash off. Soap always leaves grit and junk.

32.gif
Lord, on my sad little student budget, I just bought it, and MAN am I excited...
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I think I am going to explode!
emkulou.gif

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
out a bit with the technical side of what is going on in these cleaners (and how much marketiing confused the issue).

Ionic...

Electro...

Ultrasonic...

Crankydave has presented some good general information, although he slightly misstated how Untrasonic cleaners work. Ultrasonic cleaners work largly by shaking the water so that it "scrubs" the objects inside of it. At the higher powers Ultrasonic cleaners will also create "micro-bubbles" (the water will form microscopic steam bubbles) that then collaps creating water-hammer type shock waves. However, it is hard to scrub oil from diamonds based on water motion alone.

Cranky dave also presented a technicaly accurate descripion for Ionic Cleaners: "Ionic cleaners work by attaching "ions" to the dirt and reducing the surface tension of the liquid."

The reason this works is that almost all materials (including dirt and grease) have electric charges that attract the oposite charge. Add the right oposite charged particle (or sufficient number of lessor charged particles) and the original charged particle can be electrically nuetraliized - or even opositely changed as it forms a large composit particle. Thus the larger particle has less "surface tension" (it no longer tightly binds) and easily moves away from what it was electrically binding to.

However, please understand that marketing has taken over this term to make it sound "special" In comon day language "ionic" cleaning is "washing with soap, or detergent"

A very cheap "ionic" solution could be made with dishwashing liquid, ammonia, shampoo, etc. I am not saying that such solutions are the best to clean diamonds or jewelery with - but I would be tempted to try them first when I make the plung and buy the ring (especially as ammonia keeps popping up on this forum).

I also suspect that any Ultrasonic cleaner wil work much better with a touch of "ionic / soap" solution - especially one that is known to break up oil based deposits.

Electro cleaners work by attacting ions to their electrodes. Electric current in liquids are passed by ions (electrically charged particles, and it does not take much acid or base in a water to provide pleanty of OH- or O+ ions). So if you just have dirt on a diamond that is only attached to the diamond by the electrical charge attraction - then the right electrical voltage charge (or ions in solution) would make the particle jump off the diamond and move to the electrode.

One form of "simple" elctro cleaning (not used) would involve attaching the ring directly to an electrode and letting the resulting current transmit away the surface contamination; however you would also atract ions of the opposite charge. (doing this wrong could transmit away base materials and damage your jewwlry - which is why you do not see jewelry cleaners set up this way). In fact, electroplating works in reverse - by introducing an electric charge that attracts oposite ions of materials to plate out on the base material.

The other form of electro cleaning involves the use of "ionic" solutions and an electic current (field) between two electrodes in the tank - which then attract the "dirt particle" ions to the electrodes.

I will note that oil type substances tightly electrically binds to diamonds (is attracted). The oil then holds other dirt and dust. However, the metals used in rings does not nearly so well bind with oil.

Thus, the best soap solutions will be a good mix of different chemicals that can clean the different metals and jewels found in most common jewelry (for the jewels that can be cleaned safely). Even common soap and deteregents are a mix of chemicals.

So the more effective cleaning would occur if the jewelry is immersed into the right soap or detergent solution, either wash the jewelry with water motion or attract the ions with electical charges.

Then because all of these solutions will leave a film, you then need to wash or rinse that film away.

What is the best one? You would need someone with a lot more chemistry than I have as the possible mixes are endless (and often marketing way overstates the differences of these mixes). However, I cannot help but notice that the ingredients listed by Headlight above look like it would work similar to a common powedered cleaner availiabel in every town.

I also suspect that something readily available to consumers would work well for all the different cleaning methods - and that the real task is just finding it.

Tri Sodioum Phosphate (TSP) was commonly used for cleaning of walls before painting due to its excellent ability to break down oil and other deposits. Of course it was not a pure box of TSP - but was largly TSP (with other additives).

Due to chemical restr ictions on phosphate discharges it is difficult for consumers to buy TSP anymore in a local store. However, the paint stores now sell a substitute product (sometimes labled as TSP). Before ordinging from Oakite, I'd try a box of that (available at your local household paint center).

Another powder based cleaner I would try (if you know someone with it) is Amway SA8 laundry detergent as it does not have clay and other fillers in it. If someone wants to experiment with that PM me (i'd send it to someone to try). It is my preferred laundry detergent so I always have some downstairs.

Otherwise, I'd start with CrankyDaves ammonia solution suggestions above, and rinse with distilled water.

p.s: I appologize if this thing post with lots of extra lines between the paragraphs. I have twice edited it to remove them - and they keep reappearing when I post. Can anyone tell me why?

Perry

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for posting this info! I think I''m going to order one, also. So there is nothing about the Salton jewelry spa that would loosen stones?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock

My order went through and is now in shipping process, meaning anywhere from 1-14 days...I feel palpitations coming on....

*does little happy dance*

ninasstar

Rough_Rock

You will love it. I ordered mine from digitalkitchenstore.com for $58....also saw it on QVC.com for $54.

Enjoy!

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the info! I just ordered one of these, too. Is it really safe to put emeralds in an electro-cleaner? Or a pearl (that's not strung, of course.)

I'm a little paranoid about a cleaner loosening my settings since an ultasonic cleaning for my old e-ring loosened some of the pave.

headlight

Ideal_Rock

MRS JAM --

I do not think it is safe for pearls to be cleaned like other gemstones. You should use a specific pearl cleaner and follow its directions or you will ruin the nacre of the pearl.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Don''t pearls just need to be cleaner with a clean jewelery cloth? Also when ewashing them, you need to use warm water and soap, but make sure that the string is dried. Also with pearls I believe you need to restring them at least once a year, because the string get weak from wear... to my knowledge I don''t know of any checmical for pearls that is "safe", as their nacre is so delicate... I could be wrong, but that''s what I read about pearl upkeep.

diagnose

Rough_Rock

Congratulations on the appointment of your president for a second term.

Now anyone know where i may purchase a princess diamond in the UK or europe at a good price approx 2.4ct as close to wholesale as possible

cheers diagnose

headlight

Ideal_Rock

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR SALTON JEWELRY SPA OWNERS:

I received a message today from someone from the company that makes the powder included in the Salton unit. Apparently, she somehow just recently received my inquiry as to purchasing more powder (an inquiry from this past summer). I returned her call only to get her voicemail and am now waiting to hear back from her, but keep your fingers crossed that they might be able to accommodate us. In my message today, I told her that I was defnitely interested in purchasing more powder and that I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE SALTON UNIT WHO ALSO WANT TO PURCHASE MORE POWDER. I will update everyone here as soon as I have further info.

\Headlight

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the info on pearls and emeralds. I feel silly for even asking if the salton spa was appropriate for pearl cleaning.

So there is nothing about using this electro-cleaner thingamajiggy that would loosen pave-set diamonds?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2004 12
6.gif
8:18 AM
Author: mrs jam

Thanks for the info on pearls and emeralds. I feel silly for even asking if the salton spa was appropriate for pearl cleaning.

So there is nothing about using this electro-cleaner thingamajiggy that would loosen pave-set diamonds?

DON''T EVEN feel silly... the only "dumb" question is the question not asked!

As for your pave'' set stones, I think it would be safer to use an ionic cleaner (as in the Salton Jewelry Spa) over an ultrasonic cleaner because, as has been explained on this thread, the ultrasonic "shakes" the dirt out of the jewelry whereas the ionic uses ions to lift away the dirt.

I have not had a problem with my pave jewelry in the Salton unit. I don''t know if it is luck or just well made....

abbott

Shiny_Rock
I received my Salton jewelry cleaner yesterday.. and sorry to say I am going to return it. The unit did a wonderful job in cleaning my jewelry, but I found the steamer to be quite messy. After having the unit plugged in for 45 minutes, the steamer.. was a combination of steam and hot water. The size of the unit was too big.. so I''m looking for a smaller ionic cleaner. It does not need to have the steamer... I want to clean jewelry that I can not clean in my ultra sonic..(sapphire, tanzanite, pave) I would appreciate any suggestions on a different (smaller) ionic cleaner and any cleaner that is safe for my precious stones. Thanks!! ABBOTT

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Otto Frei sells 3 different Ionic Cleaners and Gem Sparkle Too! They sell tools and findings to the trade.

They can be found here

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2004 11:50:19 AM
Author: abbott
I received my Salton jewelry cleaner yesterday.. and sorry to say I am going to return it. The unit did a wonderful job in cleaning my jewelry, but I found the steamer to be quite messy. After having the unit plugged in for 45 minutes, the steamer.. was a combination of steam and hot water. The size of the unit was too big.. so I''m looking for a smaller ionic cleaner. It does not need to have the steamer... I want to clean jewelry that I can not clean in my ultra sonic..(sapphire, tanzanite, pave) I would appreciate any suggestions on a different (smaller) ionic cleaner and any cleaner that is safe for my precious stones. Thanks!! ABBOTT

Gosh... I am so sorry to hear that you had that experience. I have never had that situation. Perhaps you weren''t expecting the steamer to be so strong -- it isn''t going to be like a facial steamer as that wouldn''t be suitable for cleaning jewelry. I have seen the steamers at the jewelers and they are very forceful. Yes, the unit is large but that doesn''t bother me; I do have a large bathroom vanity, but if I had a smaller space it would be quite cumbersome. I am not sure why you had the machine on for 45 minutes??? Also, did you use regular tap water or distilled?

I don''t have any other experience with any ionics, only with ultrasonics.

abbott

Shiny_Rock
I used distilled water.. The instructions indicated that it would take 15 minutes for the "ready light" to come on which would indicated that the steamer was ready to use. The "ready light" never came on. The unit was wonderful for the ionic cleaning stage.. but the steamer was very "watery"... Had to place a towel over the sponge because of the amount of water. I really like my ultra sonic cleaner.. I''m starting to search the internet for a smaller ionic machine. I really want to purchase a smaller unit for my precious stones. Abbott

headlight

Ideal_Rock

Abbott-

That is so weird. I will have to check my directions, but it takes MAYBE a minute for the ready light to go on with my unit. And, I''ve never had to use a towel as the sponges have been sufficient (the sponge further away from the unit never even gets wet).

Hopefully you''ll find a small ionic to clean the items you can''t subject to the ultrasonic.

Take Care!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock

Anyone buy it from D-Mart 2? I am DYING to get it....JUST DYING!!! How long did it take anyone here to get???!!!

In class, we are looking at stones through microscopes, so NATURALLY, I have put my e-ring under there and was shocked by the filth. AND I CLEAN IT EVERYDAY...SEVERAL TIMES!

23.gif

Stupid question, but where can you buy distilled water?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2004 7:36
6.gif
9 PM
Author: Nicrez

Stupid question, but where can you buy distilled water?

In your supermarket, you can find it in the aisle where they sell the bottled water (Sparkletts, Arrowhead, etc.). It will say "Distilled" on the label!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results