shape
carat
color
clarity

Safely avoiding retail?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zara

Rough_Rock
I'm in the market for a diamond, and have done my requisite reading, am aware of the quality and cut issues, need for certificate, etc., but of course lack the experience to judge/grade a stone myself.Given that, how can I buy the stone I want from an Internet or wholesale dealer at a non-bricks-and-mortar price, but ensure both that I'm getting what I'm paying for and set things up so that the dealer is comfortable with the arrangement, too? (E.g. I presume that nobody would mail me a diamond on spec to be evaluated....) In case it's relevant, I'm in the Washington, DC area and am probably interested in a well-cut 1.1-1.3 carat stone around I/SI2.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Zara,You can send an email to [email protected]. He is an independent appraiser. Many dealers will send a diamond to him before you pay for it for him to evaluate. You pay him on a per carat basis. He has lots of equipment and expertise. He is totally unbiased because he doesn't sell diamonds. After he evaluates the diamond, you can decide if you want to buy it.You can also talk to him before buying so he can help you clarify what you would like and the best choice for you. He will be away for a bit starting tomorrow, but may answer e-mail. Try him!Good luck and keep us posted.
smile.gif
lawmax

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Here is an extract from one of Rockdoc' postings:--- Quote ---Solving the Risk of Buying on the Net.One of the risks of buying on the net, is that you most sellers want you to pay for the stone before you see it, and then gamble as to whether or not you get a refund. Some sites are very good about refunding, others are not.Some are very honest about describing the quality of the cutting of the stones. but MANY are not.Once you've selected a shape, size, clarity grade, color grade, and cut preference..... you have about half the information.But given what you have so far, most consumers are getting close to finding their perfect diamond.Once you've made a couple of choices, we suggest you consider using our services.We recommend that you have the seller send us the diamond to check its quality, cut and price for you. We have advanced lab equipment, and personally advise and counsel you on the best stone to satisfy you own personal requirements for quality and value.For more details see http://www.diamondclearinghouse.com By having the stone sent to us, we require the seller not to charge your credit card. We work for you.. the consumer...we provide you with far more detailed information about the diamond than the major labs do, and we have the experience and trained eye it takes to help you select the right stone for you.All with no risk on your part. You know the information you need to know to make a purchasing decision that IS an informed one. You don't have to put up your credit card and then be limited to having it checked within 7 to 30 days. The only cost to you is for our services. Even if you chose to buy from a store, it is prudent to have an independent gemologist and appraiser assist you
Analyzing the true quality of a diamond is not a job for consumers or ameteurs.Taking the stone to a local jeweler, may not result in an unbiased opinion. The stone needs to be checked by someone who DOESN'T sell diamonds, so there is no conflict of interest.------- End of quote--

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Hi ZaraYes, we can do all that you have requested.Lots of people purchasing on the internet use us and have been very happy with our services.There ist a list on our site of dealers who will send stones to us to check for you.Check our site, http://www.diamondclearinghouse.com also click on sample reports, it shows you what we actually do.or if you'd like to call
AccurateAppraisal/Diamond Clearing House
561-392-4054We will however be out of town from the 9th to the 17th.if you need to contact me by email during that time use [email protected] this helpsrockdoc

igs

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Zara,
When buying a diamond over the internet it is crucial to have it in writing that you have an approx. 2 week return period for a FULL refund if you are not satisfied with your own independent evaluation. I also recommend only purchasing a diamond with either a GIA or AGS cert. Once you receive the diamond you would schedule an appointment with an independent, unbiased gemologist appraiser. Basically, you want him to verify that yes, that diamond matches the cert.
Zara, Good Luck!!!!!!Martin www.usacerteddiamonds.com
------------------

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results