shape
carat
color
clarity

Safe to bezel set spinels?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Is it safe to bezel set spinels? As in the diamonds by the yard style? A couple of jewelers here is not confident of bezel setting it and will only set my spinels in simple prong settings. Any opinion?

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think it should be a problem as long as the stones are free of inclusions that weaken the crystal .

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t see why not. I''ve had peridots bezel set and they are even softer than spinels. These stones are very clean - inclusion free, right?

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you colormyworld, chrono and gypsy..

The stones I showed both my jewelers were of decent clarity, eye clean. I also mentioned that spinels are quite hardy based on the scale (8 I think) but they said it is not the number on the scale but that some stones are just more prone to breakage than others despite the number.
33.gif
33.gif

I think it may be that in where I live, there is more diamonds, jade, rubies, sapphires and emerald than spinels. In fact, I see more peridot, aquamarine, morganite etc. than I see spinels.....well in fact, I think I have not seen a piece of spinel jewelry in jewelry stores here before !!

Gypsy, I just saw your thread, it was indeed very useful. Even though I noticed that Wink has been left out of the list of vendors you named, I ruled him out because it seems that he has such a good relationship/collaboration with Richard Homer and it would be strange for him to refuse to set coloured stones...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Towards the end of the thread, Gypsy clarified that Wink was NOT involved in anyway. He has no issues with bezeling spinels. SS, I hope you''ll be able to find someone local who will help you work on your project.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2007 8:23:13 AM
Author: Chrono
Towards the end of the thread, Gypsy clarified that Wink was NOT involved in anyway. He has no issues with bezeling spinels. SS, I hope you''ll be able to find someone local who will help you work on your project.
Yes, I read that too and I am glad as I do like some of his setting. I might just have to ask him to set some of the gemstones in the future..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results