shape
carat
color
clarity

Sadness. The tiny single cut diamond fell out of band

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I have a platinum and single cut diamond band from 1939. Unfortunately after a very lovely day in the city, I got home and noticed that one of the diamonds had fallen out! Now I had a feeling that this band may have been too delicate for daily wear, but I loved it and wore it all the time anyway. I have had it since August. I tried to measure the diamonds with calipers and I think they are somewhere between 1 and 1.4mm. Does anyone know of a jeweler who would be able to replace the stone? Is there a way to reinforce it so it is more suitable for daily wear? How much do you think it will cost to replace the diamond? The band was an eBay find and not very expensive. Here is a picture. 453D9374-51A3-4A08-ADE3-4135571993D0.jpeg

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I have a platinum and single cut diamond band from 1939. Unfortunately after a very lovely day in the city, I got home and noticed that one of the diamonds had fallen out! Now I had a feeling that this band may have been too delicate for daily wear, but I loved it and wore it all the time anyway. I have had it since August. I tried to measure the diamonds with calipers and I think they are somewhere between 1 and 1.4mm. Does anyone know of a jeweler who would be able to replace the stone? Is there a way to reinforce it so it is more suitable for daily wear? How much do you think it will cost to replace the diamond? The band was an eBay find and not very expensive. Here is a picture. 453D9374-51A3-4A08-ADE3-4135571993D0.jpeg

I Love that band. You should be able to easily find a single cut to go in there and I can’t imagine it will cost more than $50 for the stone. You should also have the jeweler reinforce the rest of the stones.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Love that band! Should be an inexpensive fix, but I know you get a little gut wrench when you notice something like that!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much @CaseyLouLou and @CHRISTY-DANIELLE ! You both have rings that I think are gorgeous!! Do you think I would be able to have a local jeweler do this work? I was not sure if a local jeweler would have access to single cut diamond melee. I know you both had rings made by DK. I would imagine he does not take care of small replacements and reinforcements like this?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
In a world full of saddness right now this thread makes me so sad, its such a lovelly ring

my sister (married 15 years ago) has a marlie (excuse spelling?) Engagment ring
one of her little dianonds fell out

im sure any good local manufacturing jewler would be able to replace your diamond with one that matched

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much @CaseyLouLou and @CHRISTY-DANIELLE ! You both have rings that I think are gorgeous!! Do you think I would be able to have a local jeweler do this work? I was not sure if a local jeweler would have access to single cut diamond melee. I know you both had rings made by DK. I would imagine he does not take care of small replacements and reinforcements like this?

Any jeweler can get singlecut melee I would think. After some not great local experiences, I've started using DK for everything-sizing, repairs, stone setting, etc. I've had them do a couple antique restorations too. It is a bit of a pain shipping out of state, and sometimes it takes awhile, but I've learned it's better to work with someone you trust that you know will do good work. But if you have someone local you use, they should be able to do this repair.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
In a world full of saddness right now this thread makes me so sad, its such a lovelly ring

my sister (married 15 years ago) has a marlie (excuse spelling?) Engagment ring
one of her little dianonds fell out

im sure any good local manufacturing jewler would be able to replace your diamond with one that matched

Thank you so much Daisys - I just love this ring. I was shocked that the stone fell out. I will feel much better once I get it replaced and make sure that the others are secure. I told my husband I would get it fixed and then not wear it because it is too delicate, but he told me that I should get it fixed and wear it if I love it. So that is what I am going to do. Life is too short to not wear the things you love. Also, I tagged you on the distractions thread because I posted a ballet clip and I know you and I share a love of that art as well =)2 Things will get brighter!

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
Who’s DK? My melee fell out awhile ago and my jeweler put in a mrb, it bothers me so bad. I want to fix it but don’t know who to go to, and the same ring I notice the other day has a loose melee so I put it in a little bag so it doesn’t fall out

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Smith3, David Klass, he does a lot of custom work for PS'ers.

@OdetteOdile, so sorry about your missing diamond, it is a really pretty ring, love the flowers on the sides.

I'm confident that you will be able to get this fixed, maybe not right away with the current state of affairs but it can definitely be made whole again.

Elsafiancee

Rough_Rock
I had a few fall from a ring that belonged to my great grandmother ,and it cost about $50 a piece to be fixed by my local jeweler. Wasn’t a big deal at all thank goodness. I asked about having the ring strengthened but his advice was that I could lose some of the old charm of it and I should instead replace the diamonds when/if it happened again

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results