shape
carat
color
clarity

Saddened & angered over my mother''s comment

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cara

Ideal_Rock
I understand why you were offended by how your mom put it, but I also understand her point. If these people are more her friends than yours, even though you grew up in the neighborhood, then your request *might* be seen as coming from her and using her relationship with these people to ask for money. She doesn''t want her name used that way, so she objects.

I also really dislike being asked for money, but I think the manner in which you did it was mostly OK for me. Written requests (email or letter) are easier to ignore if I don''t want to give.

As for others that object to the OP "getting something" out of this fundraiser (free training), I think we all "get something" when we give money. A sense of contributing, a sense of fulfilling an obligation (for religiously proscribed giving), a sense of "being good". That there is an alignment of training and fundraising personal benefits in this setup doesn''t strike me as evil. One additional public benefit of the large athletic event fundraisers is publicity and raising awareness about the particular issue.

But being asked directly to buy cheap candy or crap sold as a fundraiser by little kids, or by parents of little kids whom I know or work with? Ugh. And I don''t like asking for money - my parents would usually directly pay amounts that I was supposed to "fund raise" when growing up, even if it wasn''t that financially convenient. But having done an expensive sport in college and after, having a career dependent upon grant money (ie. professionally asking people for money), has made me realize that asking for money is sometimes necessary. And good for the world.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results