shape
carat
color
clarity

???''s On Antique Opal Ring & Appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

currada

Rough_Rock
Hoping to get some answers on this ring from some of the experts or anyone that wants to pipe in. I bought this ring not because I knew alot about opals but because I thought it was very unique, I had never seen a crystal opal before at least not one as clear as this one. After the purchase I started looking for info on this type of opal- and read that this is the most valued of the light opals and is described as an opal that has high transparency, a near colorless body and a distinct play-of-color. The more transparent the better and the highest qualities being quite expensive. So I decided to get the ring appraised, I took it to a high end store that had an independant appraiser that comes in once a week and does evaluations at the store. I was hoping to get more info than I did.... described as

Ladies Platinum (unstamped ring) set with
1- oval cabochon cut Opal measuring approx 14.5mm X 10.5mm X 4.1mm
Body Color crystal
Transparency of body transparent
Predominant spectral hue Blue
Secondary spectural hue Green
Additional Hues red,orange,yellow
Hue type flash
then goes on to state the sizes of the diamonds and grades them VS G-I
set in a fancy tulip design

Wondering if anyone might know the age based on the setting style or the antiquity value since none was stated. I actually had them do 6 items in all and though it was verbally stated that they were antiques with some being one of a kind- that was all that they gave me.
Including several pictures since its hard to see how transparent the stone is with the color play. When worn you can see thru the stone to the back of the mounting and the finger it''s being worn on. Any info would be great- although I know the colored stone section doesn''t get much action
1.gif

opal1.jpg

currada

Rough_Rock
side view

opal2.jpg

currada

Rough_Rock
one to show how transparent the opal is

opal3.jpg

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
Sorry I can't help much, but oh my goodness!!
love.gif

What a gorgeous ring!!
3.gif

I'm hoping some of the experts will chime in to give you their opinion on the ring!

I love, love, love your ring!!
love.gif

currada

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much last picture. Sorry they are so big I tried to make them smaller but I guess it didn't work. Hope it doesn't take as long to open them as it did for me to post them (standard dial-up connection) errr... The pictures are kinda yellow too had to take them inside another rainy day here in Washington State.

opal6.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Currada. What you've got there is a very fine Mexican crystal opal with great play-of-color. The pattern is probably more of a "rolling flash" than flashfire.

Mexican opals usually have an orangey body color, but there is a variety which is clear and has an awesome diversity of color within it. That's what you've got there. I wore almost the exact stone in a man's ring for years.

One of the nice things about Mexican opal is that it's a little harder and tougher than opals from other countries.

The ring mounting, if it is not a reproduction, appears to be circa 1920. It could be 1910, but my gut instinct without seeing it firsthand is that it's probably early Deco (1920 neighborhood).

Mexican opals don't bring as much money on the market as Australian crystal opals, but they have been rapidly increasing in value over the last two decades. In my opinion, their play-of-color can often rival the Australians. The one drawback compared to the Australians is that the Mexicans usually appear to be more "washed out" because of their high transparency.

It appears yours is fine to gem quality, and in great condition. That's one of the things which makes me wonder if the ring is possibly a reproduction. It's unusual for an 80 year old opal to have such a nice finish, unless it was repolished to make it more saleable. That's quite possible.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
In taking a second look at the ring, I think there's the possibility that the side sections could be genuine antique, while the center section (bezel setting, undercarriage, and possibly opal) is more recent.

An appraiser familiar with manufacturing techniques and modern/antique workmanship could probably tell you for sure after firsthand observation. It's tough to tell from a photo, although I do see some characteristics which make me suspect that might be the case.

Any way you cut it, the ring is gorgeous. Congratulations.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Richard has told you all about your opal/setting, but I would just like to say that I think that it's lovely. The stone is so pretty, I just love those bluey green swirls of colour, and the setting, antique or repro, is just so graceful. You are one lucky lady.

currada

Rough_Rock
Richard,

Thanks much for your expert advise- I think the lack of wear comes from the design of the ring- although it is unusual and thats why I like it...it's not everyday wear the head of the ring sits 1/2 high inch off the finger and the tulip design even protrudes off the head of the ring which is an easy catch on whatever you're wearing or possibly a weapon should you come into contact with another (pointed edges sharp) ouch
1.gif

Anyway I used your link to look at your services as I'm getting a sapphire ring that I've been guaranteed is from the 1800's & comes with an AGTA certificate verifing no heat treatment. I'd like you to look at it can you tell me what your typical turn around time is. Thanks

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My heavens, what an absolute beauty of a ring!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Currada. I'd be able to date that sapphire ring for you, and tell you whether it is heat treated or not. Sounds like fun.

My turn around time is typically 3 to 5 business days after receiving the item.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results