shape
carat
color
clarity

Rust on Platinum Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lemonup

Rough_Rock
Hello,
My wife recently noticed rust like coloration in the corner of her platinum setting. This is a mystery to both my wife and I. I noticed a post by user-Jazmine however no indication whether a root cause was found.

Has anyone else ever encountered this before? The ring is about 1 year old and is certainly not dirty and or any food accumulation. In fact, I took an eye-loop out this morning to take a closer and it is certainly rust or rust like.

The setting was a custom cast that was made to my original sketch. Is it possible that the metal became contaminated during the casting process?

Thank You,
Leo

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Hi Leo,

I haven’t experienced anything like that, but you should strongly consider taking the ring to the store where you purchased it at and ask them for an explanation!

Good luck.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness - how very strange! This is certainly not usual, platinum does not rust.

I agree with DiamondsDiamonds: you need to take that ring back to where you got it. Something is not right here.

mrb19992004

Rough_Rock
I wonder if this is a low grade platinum cobolt mix to lower the temperature to ease the flow to cast. Which is why platinum should be hand wrought.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm. Cobalt oxide is bluish/blackish, not brown; I can''t think of a single platinum alloy that would discolour like rust. Before you take it to the jeweller (unless it''s just around the corner), try cleaning it with a soft toothbrush, dish soap and lukewarm water. If it comes off, it may simply be a stain due to external causes rather than something due to the ring itself

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is strange, I have not heard of this before. I would agree that you should take it back to the jeweler you purchased it from.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results