shape
carat
color
clarity

russian diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondjane

Rough_Rock
My fiannce and I are shopping for diamonds. We herd that russian diamonds were bad. I s that true? If so why?

Also is their a differense in platinums?

Go Raiders!
appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Diamondjane,

Russian makes is a term used to define a very fine cut, in the diamond industry of yester-year...

Today, the diamond industry has become far more advanced and technical.

The terms, russian make, fine make, premium make and so-forth are quickly becoming outdated terms, given the advancements in the field of diamond grading.

Today people want to know, "whats the HCA say" or
" how high does the B-scope read" types of questions.

In other words, things are rapidly changing in this market, but if you stick around long enough with pricescope, you will get the idea...

And its worth your time to find out...

Buy Informed!

Kirk Konst

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Diamond Jane,

Kirk is right. The terms like "Russian cut", "keepsake", "premium", "prestige" etc. are becoming outdated as many people are learning that they are, for the most part meaningless jibberish. The expression "Russian make" did refer to finely cut stones not bad ones.

Today the very minimum info a person should have is the Sarin or OGI Report if they are not purchasing an AGS stone as this will provide some of the most crucial info before the purchase. Armed with at least that info people here on the forums (myself included) can give you a more educated opinion about how the overall brilliance of the stone you're looking at might be.

If you'd like a more in depth education on the subject of diamond cut that is broken down into laymens terms feel free to browse our chapters on cut by clicking on the link below.

Concerning your question regarding platinum there are 2 types that are most commonly used.

One is the 90/10 combo consisting of 90% platinum and 10% iridium (alloy). The other is a 95/5 combo consisting of 95% platinum and 5% ruthenium or cobalt.

There is a European car manufacturer that is using iridium in the construction of their engines so that has driven up the demand for iridium which has also driven up the cost for it as well and also making it a little tougher to get. For this reason there are many platinim smiths who are switching to the 95/5 combo and that is what we currently use in the making of our rings.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Peace,
Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results