shape
carat
color
clarity

Russian diamond vs. commercial diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

heavenly

Rough_Rock
I''m searching for a diamond, and I have a question regarding to commercial diamond vs. russian diamond.

I would like to know a ballpark price from the following specs between russian and commercial diamonds.

D or E
.75 - 1.00 ct.
VVS1
Round cut

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Heavenly, welcome to the forum
1.gif

Term ‘Russian cut’ became a synonym of the very good round cut. However, there are many fine makes as well as ideal cut diamonds out there. It is not necessary for diamond to be called Russian to be an ideal cut or just very good cut.

The difference in price between very good cut and fair cut can be 10%-20%. You can run price comparison in your carat/color/clarity range from Pricescope.com front page.

[/u]

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
The terms "Russian Cut" and "Belgium Cut" for that matter are "supposed" to mean that the diamond is better cut, but the reality is that commercial diamonds are produced in Russia and Belgium just as they are in Israel, Hong Kong, the United States and any other major cutting centers... Get proportions information for any diamond that you are considering regardless of where it is supposed to have been cut... A few years ago we went to dinner with a supplier who is supposed to specialize in Russian Cut stones, we got him completely sloshed, we're talking about a $400.00 dinner bill at Yoli's in Vegas for three people and Robin and I don't really drink... At one point he admitted that he actually has the diamonds cut in Israel and then exports them to Russia where he lets them sit for a week or so and then exports them to the U.S. so that he picks up a Russian bill of lading... Sleazy... We dropped him as a supplier. We're not saying that this scenario is true of all Russian Cut diamonds, not by any stretch of the imagination, Russia has a huge diamond cutting center, but the scenario gives one pause doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results