shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Well, bad news. I am extremely disappointed. I FINALLY got some information on this ring. The appraiser has told me it was heat treated and he isn''t even sure it is a Harry Winston piece. He is still working on confirming whether it is or it isn''t. So now I have a decison to make. I guess it is hard to make until he gives me a value but do I want to keep it or not? I probably honestly am more bothered by it being heat treated and having it being represented to me as NOT being heat treated than it not being a HW....or maybe not. I don''t know. The saleslady put SOOO much emphasis on it being a HW, I guess that made me feel it was exceptional quality.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh....I'm sorry you're disappointed...but I wouldn't give up on this yet.

A large (and this one is large), clean, beautiful ruby....heated or unheated, is a rare thing. There just aren't that many around. And they're not cheap!! You might check out Richard Wise' website: www.rwwise.com. He has some gorgeous heat treated rubies. Unfortunately he doesn't list prices, but you could contact him and ask to compare his prices with what they're asking for this ring. It could be that if this stone had proven to be untreated, it would have been well beyond almost anybody's budget!

Also...and hopefully a pro will check in here...I'm not sure that an appraiser has the equipment, know-how to definitively state whether or not a stone has undergone heat treatment. Maybe I'm wrong...but I'd trust a lab report more.

If the ring and the stone are as beautiful as they look in the pictures, I'd still be sorely tempted. (This being said, of course, not knowing what they're asking for it...)

I'm sorry! Let us know how you proceed!
widget

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m with Widget on this one. That really is one beautiful piece, so depending on the $ I might do it anyway.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I triple that notion. Still worth considering for such a big and clean ruby if the price is right. The price on the piece should go down if it is heat treated and not an HW. The store may want a second opinion on the appraisal, but the price should reflect the truth, after all!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Don't be disappointed yet - even if it's not Harry Winston and extra-fine unheated ruby, it may still be something special, depending on the quality of the stone, quality of the setting, and price. Ask your appraiser to help educate you about these things. If still not as expected, ask for guidance about what something you like would cost to create e.g. $2k for a Leon Mege setting, $2k for sidestones, and a range of prices for different qualities of AGL-certed heat-without-filler Burma ruby.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I too would be very curious to hear what else your appraiser has to say about the ring and the stone.

I noticed in your original thread that NM said the ring dated from the ''20s-''30s....does the appraiser agree?

widget

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry that the stone is heat treated and possibly not a HW, that is odd that they would represent it as such without proof. I would call them with that information and see how much they are willing to lower the price and then decide. I do think the ring is pretty though.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
At this point, I am giving NM the benefit of the doubt. The ring is stamped Winston. I don''t know if these things typically come with some certification stating it is a Winston piece or not. I am debating calling them and letting them know there is some doubt or waiting until the appraisal is complete.
This appraiser does have a lab to test.

I will definately consider keeping it but the value has to = or exceed the price. I kinda doubt it will it if it not a HW.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Woohoo! Appraiser says it is a HW!! I will post more details when I find out. Still waiting for a value. Will it be worth what we are paying??? Can''t wait to find out.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2006 1:23:38 PM
Author: Allisonfaye
Woohoo! Appraiser says it is a HW!! I will post more details when I find out. Still waiting for a value. Will it be worth what we are paying??? Can''t wait to find out.
36.gif

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Looks gorgeous!! Have you made up your mind yet? Maybe some wiggle room on price if it''s heat treated?

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
More good news. I got a call from the appraiser and he told me it was not heat treated. He said it was a Thai ruby which was more typical of the period which was late 60''s. He said the diamonds are VVS and F-G color and a third of a carat too. He confirmed that the suspicious marking was in fact the mark of the employee who made it. He said there is not one negative thing about this ring. I got it back today (paid extra for Sat delivery). I can''t wait to get it sized.

One thing you PS''er can maybe comment on is I noticed the prongs are a tiny bit crooked. I hadn''t really noticed that before. Can anything be done about that?

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock
Oh what a stunning, stunning ring! I am so glad that it came back to be what you had hoped it would be - a Harry Winston at that! I do hope that you get it, it will be a piece you treasure forever. Wear it in the best of health.

I wish you well,

Bridget

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I'm so pleased for you!!!
36.gif

(I've been thinking so much about your ring lately, that you'd think it was mine!)

I love Thai rubies...even though Burma is supposed to be a big deal, I like that the nice Thais I've seen are more often true red with less pink ...

I'm not sure what you mean by the prongs being crooked...maybe others will jump in. My first inclination would be that if the security of the stone isn't compromised, I'd leave it be..

Oh, Congratulations! What a great find!!!

widget

Edited to Add:
IF it were mine, and IF the prongs needed tweaking, and IF doing so meant that the stone would have to be removed from the setting, then I'D take the trouble to send it off to the AGTA for certification.
1.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh I am so gald that it is not heat treated and a HW to boot! Congrats! I cannot wait to see it on your hand!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
You know what the most special part is? I have a daughter who is two and a daughter who is 6 months old and I know I will leave this special ring to one of them one day.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2006 8:33:32 PM
Author: Allisonfaye
You know what the most special part is? I have a daughter who is two and a daughter who is 6 months old and I know I will leave this special ring to one of them one day.
That''s so sweet!
30.gif
And you have plenty years ahead to someday find another special treasure for the other one!

I always do that...whenever I consider a new piece I always imagine which of my granddaughters will like it best someday...
5.gif

widget

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
Allisonfaye,

I''m glad that things are working out for you. I would find it difficult to believe that Neiman''s would misrepresent what they sell. Their reputation is enviable and they have gorgeous stuff. In time, you should see if there is another salesperson who better suits your personality. My saleswoman and I have developed a good friendship over the years, we meet for lunch sometimes. Out tastes are nearly identical. I believe in a past life, we were probably sisters.

Congrats on the great find!!!!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful ring! I''m a little partial to ruby myself as it is my birthstone. I''m so glad it all worked out.
36.gif
36.gif

diamondjunkie

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I had seen this post when it first started and just now got back to it. THE RING IS STUNNING!!!!! I went back and really studied the pics and I can not see where the prongs are crooked. In fact they look dead on in the pictures. Personally I would not start messing with the prongs since it looks REALLY great. Congrats on the new piece!
30.gif

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
Dont know how I missed this post, but that ring is AMAZING! I''m so happy it all turned out well for you! Nothing quite like a beautiful ruby!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad to hear the good news. It really is a lovely ring. Wear it in good health.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Is that a ruby in your ring? It is lovely. The color is gorgeous.
Date: 4/16/2006 12:14:13 AM
Author: msflutter
Dont know how I missed this post, but that ring is AMAZING! I''m so happy it all turned out well for you! Nothing quite like a beautiful ruby!

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/16/2006 10:15:06 PM
Author: moon river
I''m so glad to hear the good news. It really is a lovely ring. Wear it in good health.

Thanks!

I will post some handshots when I get it sized.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Amazing ring and stone!!!! Just beautiful!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thai!!!! Thai ruby sounds great. One thing is clear (IMO) - you've got a treasure on your hands, and I am guessing that the origin allows a wonderful gem to come at a desirable price. Good for you!

Besides, there isn't much Thai ruby left to choose from - regardless of size or quality. 'Bet HW had a fine selection from this source (as any). You may find THIS interesting to read... about where and when Thai ruby came from. Richard Orbach has a two-liner about what makes these rubies good or bad and how they compare with other types (link), and there must be one or two fine examples around there too. There must be more & better references around, even online... these just came to mind first. I am so glad to hear good news!
1.gif

Re. prongs. Perhaps the stone may have been taken out of the setting for inspection at some point. Slightly crooked prongs should be possible to straighten without much trouble at all. NM should do it for you, IMO.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2006 2:38:41 PM
Author: valeria101

Thai!!!! Thai ruby sounds great. One thing is clear (IMO) - you''ve got a treasure on your hands, and I am guessing that the origin allows a wonderful gem to come at a desirable price. Good for you!

Besides, there isn''t much Thai ruby left to choose from - regardless of size or quality. ''Bet HW had a fine selection from this source (as any). You may find THIS interesting to read... about where and when Thai ruby came from. Richard Orbach has a two-liner about what makes these rubies good or bad and how they compare with other types (link), and there must be one or two fine examples around there too. There must be more & better references around, even online... these just came to mind first. I am so glad to hear good news!
1.gif

Re. prongs. Perhaps the stone may have been taken out of the setting for inspection at some point. Slightly crooked prongs should be possible to straighten without much trouble at all. NM should do it for you, IMO.

Thanks for all of this info. It was very interesting. I always get such a great education on PS.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear the great news! It''s a beauty!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
oooh so glad to hear the ring worked out for you! it certainly is absolutely stunning. congrats!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have been following this with interest--glad it turned out so well! The ring is breath taking!!

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results