shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby-Related Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
My DF''s beloved Crucifix chain broke. Our anniversary is in June, and I was thinking of surprising him by having the chain fixed, and having a small ruby(his birthstone) placed on top of the cross.

How much do you think it would cost to do that? And what size ruby should I go for?

Thanks!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Nicole. We need more info to go on to give you an intelligent response.

Do you have a picture of the cross, with maybe millimeter measurements of the other stones?

Heileman&Co.

Rough_Rock
Yeah it depends on the size and color, origin, cut of ruby, how you would like it set, how intricate the chain is that is broken.

eac

Shiny_Rock
Have the chain fixed, definitely. That would be a nice surprise.

But if I had a favorite piece of jewelry, to which I had a sentimental attachment, and somebody fixed it AND changed it, I would NOT be happy! Even if the change added value to it, it would be a bad surprise.

This is something to keep in mind, especially with a man involved. He might prefer the crucifix as it is, just plain gold. Not all men are comfortable wearing gemstones.

Mag00

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/6/2007 10:17:35 PM
Author: eac
Have the chain fixed, definitely. That would be a nice surprise.

But if I had a favorite piece of jewelry, to which I had a sentimental attachment, and somebody fixed it AND changed it, I would NOT be happy! Even if the change added value to it, it would be a bad surprise.

This is something to keep in mind, especially with a man involved. He might prefer the crucifix as it is, just plain gold. Not all men are comfortable wearing gemstones.

I second this

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely have the chain fixed. DF has had the same thing happen a few times. This last time we actually had to make a shorter chain out of the original chain b/c it broke so many times, but he''s really attached to it.

I agree with not changing the cross itself -- I know my FI might not be so about this. I think a better idea would be to get an embellished bail if that is possible, and you could set a tiny ruby into that (that''s the part that the chain goes through). This might require a bit of custom work, but if it is small I wouldn''t think it would get too extravagant, and it would definitely stay understated. By changing the bail instead of the cross itself, you''ve added to it in a way that is removable -- if he doesn''t love it he can go back to a plain bail.

Even if you decide not to go this way, make sure the jeweler checks the bail when you get the chain fixed -- they can wear down with time and may need to be repaired/replaced anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results