shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby experts/lovers out there... please, help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Hello
35.gif

Since this is my first post after lurking around the forums for about a month, I wanted to thank everybody here for sharing their knowledge, experience, and opinions regarding colored stones.

During the last month, my soon to be fiance and I have been searching the internet for the perfect ruby for my e-ring. I didn't want a diamond ring since I'm more into colored stones and ruby is my birthstone. I love both faceted and star rubies.

Anyway, I'd love to get your thoughts on the following three rubies from the NSC:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Red/Cushion/stoneid=U2351

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Red/Oval/stoneid=U2346

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Red/Cushion/stoneid=U2350

I'd appreciate any comments you can make about the color, cut (i.e., width/depth ratio), price, and overall appearance of these rubies which might help us determine whether they could be good candidates for my e-ring (we'll be taking a look at them and some stars in person before making a final decision).

Thanks a lot
2.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Another place that might have some nice stones is cherrypicked.com

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the 3 posted, I prefer the 1st, although I''m not crazy about it.
The colour appears extremely purplish pink; is this the colour you are looking for? Most people go for red rubies.

Stone 2: too shallow, there is a large window, and in picture 2, I see a nick in the girdle. Doesn''t have much brilliance either.
Stone 3: The outline is off and the pavilion looks very lopsided.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried Whiteflash? Their custom gemstone rings always seem very pretty. Good rubies are gorgeous but are difficult to find. I think a ruby ering would be lovely.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, you may wish to try contacting rwwise.com or concavegems.com.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ajsgems.com has Burma rubies as well. If you''re looking for an unheated stone, that narrows the search.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
My favorite rubies online are on the Richard Wise website. I am sure these are top dollar, but worth taking a look at, even just to get idea of different ways rubies can look.

Here is the link: RW Wise Rubies

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''d rule out #2 cause it doesen''t have much of anything - color is flat (one-dimensional), cut is bad (awful outline, lack of brilliance) and the clarity is questionable to say the least. Of the other two I''d choose #3, cause it has a more even color, a nicer outline, but it also has some clarity issues. The most important thing, however, is that none of them is RED, which is what rubies are suppose to be. Not orangy, not rosy, not pinky, but RED. OK, red can be brought out of a stone by setting it in yellow gold, but only if it''s slightly purplish and set in something like a bezel setting. The good thing, however, is that you can use sapphire as your birthstone cause, technically, ruby is a red sapphire. So why not get something like THIS. It''s not as deep of a color as those you found, but I bet it has more brilliance and it can save you a lot of money for the setting or something else.

Hope this helps.

P. S. here is what (IMO) a fine ruby is suppose to look like (this one is heated, but that''s not the point).

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
ma re, your link didn''t work, and I''d LOVE to see what a fine ruby should look like. Can you post it again?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 10:39:19 AM
Author: Kelli
ma re, your link didn''t work, and I''d LOVE to see what a fine ruby should look like. Can you post it again?
Sorry. Try copying this: http://www.planetarygems.com/images/ruby%20Burma%201.03%20cts.%20TRI%20FINE%2008.jpg

into your web browser. It should work.

BTW, to consult R. Wise of all people when it comes to rubies is just mean
2.gif
I personally googled mine out! Jokes aside, his stone is beautiful. Those two are similar in color, but mine doesen''t have that good of a clarity. However, inclusions are not of a "bad kind" i.e. I have a feeling they help distribute color and minimize extinction. Besides, they make the stone look velvety, and "mine" is probably a dozen times (or so) less expensive than "yours"
1.gif

It''s under 2000$, but only over a carat in size and heated.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Thank you, "yours" is a beauty too! It does in fact look velvety:)

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everybody for your honest opinions
1.gif

I guess I should have mentioned that I find intense pink faceted rubies very charming. Mare, thank you for sharing a picture of what you think a fine ruby is supposed to look like. To me (and that''s just my personal opinion, since I''m no expert), the color of your ruby looks very similar to the "crimson ruby" pictured in the "mild" category of the guide to judging rubies by their photos found on the Wild Fish Gems'' website:

Ruby on Photo

And, according to this guide, rose red rubies do actually exist and they even command higher prices than crimson rubies. That aside, I think your ruby looks quite exceptional, and I do appreciate the fact that you offered me your unbiased point of view.

As far as star rubies go, I love deep purplish red tones. Today, I received the following star ruby in the mail together with another star ruby and a faceted ruby, and I think the picture doesn''t reflect even remotely its actual beauty
30.gif
(I think my search for the perfect ruby might be over after a month of looking at several star rubies):

Palagems Star Ruby

I must say that, so far, I''m very impressed with the excellent customer service offered by the Natural Sapphire Company. They requested this star ruby on my behalf, even though Palagems had taken it to the Tucson Gem Show.

Has anybody here had a custom ring mounting made by the NSC? How good is their craftsmanship? I would like to have a custom ring mounting made and have this star ruby set in the ring. What type of mounting do you think would be best for this particular star ruby? Please, feel free to share any thoughts or pictures that could be helpful.

Thanks a lot
9.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Another useful link you might enjoy going through is THIS.

Buying from Pala is great as you''re sure to get a quality stone. I''m happy to hear you''re seriously considering a star ruby - something not many people would choose today, in these times when everything "has to be" faceted. They''re also less prone to chipping and scratching, so easier to wear.

As for the setting, here are some I found and think that are nice:

#1 (I like these kinds of settings that seem to radiate from the stone, which makes it look like the star continues outside the ruby itself; not to mention it would be even more beautiful with your stone)

#2 (Star of Bharany - a more classic and timeless design of 27 ct ruby set in 18k yellow gold and diamond ring).

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Wow that second ring you posted is amazing!

RubyCharm

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the links, Mr. Mare
2.gif

The first link is quite interesting, especially the section on Judging Stars & Cabochons. I''m more familiar with star rubies and star sapphires than faceted gems, since I''ve always been fascinated with asterisms in gemstones. However, since my future fiance is more traditional than I am, he suggested that we also take a look at faceted rubies before making a final decision.

Mr. Mare, I also think the second ring is gorgeous. I''ll keep it in mind
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results