shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby engagement ring on a budget?

AmazinLuv

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

As I posted in the Rocky Talky section, I am newbie here looking for help re: engagement rings and wedding bands. The budget for both is $2500 max, and I am looking at diamond or ruby for the engagement ring.

Do you all think it is possible to find natural (non lab created) ruby engagement rings affordable enough to still have room in the $2500 budget for the wedding band? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could please link to some online vendors (or local vendors if you are in the DC/MD/VA area) for both the stone and the setting.

Also, if you could please let me know if there is anything I should avoid when picking out a ruby.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I absolutely do think it's possible. But you may need to be flexible in the style of wedding band you want.

This is for a man's band, a woman's band, and a ruby diamond engagement ring, yes?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you care if it is treated? you will be hard pressed to find an unheated ruby at that price. so next you need to consider does it need to be heat only or will you be ok with residues?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's possible given enough time. By the way most of the mall jewelry store carry rubies with residues. Rarely do they have heated only or even unheated ruby.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

AmazinLuv

Rough_Rock
Niel|1478628252|4095262 said:
Yes. I absolutely do think it's possible. But you may need to be flexible in the style of wedding band you want.

This is for a man's band, a woman's band, and a ruby diamond engagement ring, yes?

Hi Niel,

The $2500 budget is just for the woman's wedding and engagement ring. I do not mind if it is heat treated at all, all I mind is lab created. =) Thanks!

AmazinLuv

Rough_Rock
OTL|1478631560|4095286 said:
I think it's possible given enough time. By the way most of the mall jewelry store carry rubies with residues. Rarely do they have heated only or even unheated ruby.

Hi there! Sorry but my knowledge of gems is VERY VERY limited lol so can you please clarify what you mean by "residue"? Thanks!

AmazinLuv

Rough_Rock
OTL|1478631830|4095290 said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERTIFIED-UNHEATED-Natural-Gem-1-01ct-Oval-Rose-Bud-Cherry-Red-RUBY-MOZAMBIQUE-/371446476572?hash=item567bef6f1c:g:o64AAOSwHjNWAQQd

nice color, no heat, and over 1ct!
You can't beat that price.

Gorgeous indeed! But how do you know which ebay vendors to trust? Just based on the reviews?

Also, if one buys a loose gem and the setting separately, I assume that if you then go to a jeweler to have everything put together you have to include that fee in your budget correct? On average how much would a jeweler charge for such a service?

AmazinLuv

Rough_Rock
chroman|1478632873|4095300 said:
Do you have a preference for a pink-leaning vs an orange-leaning stone?

Here's one that leans more orange than what OTL posted:
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/single/ruby/rb10374ac/&930512007

Or maybe a red spinel? This is very close to 5x7 which would help with setting costs
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=6777

This looks small, but mighty in case you are thinking 3-stone
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=5715

Hello chroman. I don't know what an orange-leaning stone looks like but think I would have a preference for a pink-leaning stone.
I have just found out about spinel today, and I am curious. Is it a durable stone that would stand the test of time with everyday wear?

Thanks!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
AmazinLuv said:
OTL|1478631560|4095286 said:

Hi there! Sorry but my knowledge of gems is VERY VERY limited lol so can you please clarify what you mean by "residue"? Thanks!

It means natural rubies are often filled with foreign materials such as lead oxide to improve the clarity under a high temperature. The foreign material stays inside the ruby and "heal" the fissure. This is what I mean by residue after heated.

AmazinLuv said:
OTL|1478631830|4095290 said:
<a title="" class="skimlinks-unlinked" href="http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERTIFIED-UNHEATED-Natural-Gem-1-01ct-Oval-Rose-Bud-Cherry-Red-RUBY-MOZAMBIQUE-/371446476572?hash=item567bef6f1c:g:o64AAOSwHjNWAQQd" data-skim-creative="500005" data-skimwords-word="http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FCERTIFIED-UNHEATED-Natural-Gem-1-01ct-Oval-Rose-Bud-Cherry-Red-RUBY-MOZAMBIQUE-%2F371446476572%3Fhash%3Ditem567bef6f1c%3Ag%3Ao64AAOSwHjNWAQQd">http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERTIFIED-UNHEATED-Natural-Gem-1-01ct-Oval-Rose-Bud-Cherry-Red-RUBY-MOZAMBIQUE-/371446476572?hash=item567bef6f1c:g:o64AAOSwHjNWAQQd</a>

nice color, no heat, and over 1ct!
You can't beat that price.

Gorgeous indeed! But how do you know which ebay vendors to trust? Just based on the reviews?

Also, if one buys a loose gem and the setting separately, I assume that if you then go to a jeweler to have everything put together you have to include that fee in your budget correct? On average how much would a jeweler charge for such a service?

This stone is certified by a gem lab called EMIL, which is a decent lab based in Thailand. This particular ebay seller is also very honest and sells good price ruby for many years.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
AmazinLuv|1478627245|4095259 said:
(or local vendors if you are in the DC/MD/VA area) for both the stone and the setting.

I haven't lived there in many years, but my mother recently had a garnet set in white gold at Five Star Jewelers in Burke, VA on the recommendation of another Pricescoper, and was very happy with it. I don't know anything about their selection of rubies but figured I'd throw that out there!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know what an orange-leaning stone looks like but think I would have a preference for a pink-leaning stone.
Good deal; often the more budget-friendly rubies won't be a pure "ruby red" some, or all of the time. They'll tend to look either on the orange side or the pink side.

I have just found out about spinel today, and I am curious. Is it a durable stone that would stand the test of time with everyday wear?
The conventional PS wisdom is that, along with sapphire, ruby, and chrysoberyl, spinel makes a durable choice for everyday wear.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
That larger Pearlman's spinel looks more like a ruby than many cheaper rubies. (Historically, people didn't know the difference between rubies and spinels, and the "Black Prince's ruby" in the crown of England is actually a spinel.) Do let us know if you don't buy it, as some lurkers (like me) would be seriously tempted. Spinels are among the more durable of gemstones, too, though not quite as tough as rubies and sapphires.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice find!

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would post a picture of the Ebay find, just for the record. Very nice for $750!
923592775_o.jpg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
looks good!

AmazinLuv

Rough_Rock
boerumbiddy|1478758741|4096232 said:
I thought I would post a picture of the Ebay find, just for the record. Very nice for $750!
923592775_o.jpg

It is truly a beauty :loopy: If I am honest I am just not open to pre-loved :halo:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AmazinLuv|1478822569|4096616 said:
boerumbiddy|1478758741|4096232 said:
923592775_o.jpg

It is truly a beauty :loopy: If I am honest I am just not open to pre-loved :halo:

May I ask why?

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I am curious, too. It's not as if rubies wear out! I don't see any abrasions, though of course there might be some. The dealer could easily have sold the stones in a new ring and you would never have known...... I ran into the same thing with a friend's daughter's search for an engagement ring. Something about not liking its having been worn or even owned by someone else. But again, how would she have known if no one told her? Actually anything you buy has been owned by someone else before you.
The discount for a resale is not inconsiderable. My own ruby is pre-owned and was rescued from an ugly man's ring, I was told. Prince Edward's "ruby" and the Hope Diamond are also preloved.
Sorry for the rant. I am not criticizing, just really wondering and trying to understand.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even the diamonds sold in stores are mostly likely pre-owned, just repolished to look new again, and resold without most people realizing this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results