shape
carat
color
clarity

ruby engagement ring - NYC jewler?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jasong

Rough_Rock

I''m just starting out looking for a 1.5-2.5 carat (I think) ruby engagement ring and would like to go check them out in person. Is there a jewler/dealer in or near New York city that specializes in rubies? I''d like to find someone who has both heated and unheated rubies so I can compare them. From what I''ve read unheated rubies are very rare and it is hard to tell definitively if a ruby has been heated. Is it even worth looking for an unheated ruby?

Thanks in advance for your help -- other than what I''ve read on pricescope I''m 100% clueless about this whole process.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 8:10:12 PM
Author:jasong

I''m just starting out looking for a 1.5-2.5 carat (I think) ruby engagement ring and would like to go check them out in person. Is there a jewler/dealer in or near New York city that specializes in rubies? I''d like to find someone who has both heated and unheated rubies so I can compare them. From what I''ve read unheated rubies are very rare and it is hard to tell definitively if a ruby has been heated. Is it even worth looking for an unheated ruby?

Thanks in advance for your help -- other than what I''ve read on pricescope I''m 100% clueless about this whole process.

35.gif

Try: http://www.gemnation.com/base?processor=getRubies. I''ve no personal experience w/ them - I''ve only perused the eye candy on their website.

Good luck to you!

-J

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi jasong..welcome!

As you will soon learn, finding a good ruby can be challenging. A good place to start would be: http://www.palagems.com/home.htm . There''s good educational material there, as well as gemstones listed for sale (wholesale). (To find out their prices, you''d have to get a dealer to call them for you.)

I can only recommend www.cherrypicked.com in NYC, but they deal almost exclusively with non-heated gemstones. I suppose it wouldn''t hurt to give Richard Orbach a call and ask...

There are a couple of beautiful heated rubies here: http://www.rwwise.com/index_content.html ....but he''s in MA.

I think you''ll discover that high quality rubies over two carats are quite rare....and consequently quite expensive. It might be a good idea to work with a jeweler you trust and have him call in some stones for you to consider after you''ve settled on size, budget, etc.

Heat treatment, or lack thereof, isn''t really discernable to the naked eye..

widget

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
I have gotten some lovely rubies at Dynamic Gems, Inc. on 5th and 47th street in NYC. It''s worth a visit to see what they have available. You give them a call ahead of time, and let them know the price range and colour that you like. Ask to speak to Shon; he''s amazing. They have beautiful sapphires and emeralds, also. You can get their phone number from information. They have been nice enough to email me pictures of stones, to narrow the search.

I think for some people it is worthwhile getting an unheated stone...you have the lifelong satisfaction that you have something rare, and the silk in the stone can give it a glow. But if I was offered a lively, beautiful stone, I don''t think I would care if it were heated, so long as it was low heat and no other process, if I was in love with the colour!

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
I noticed that right now they have a 2.98 ct. 8 x 7.6 mm cushion cut unheated candy red stone that looks transparent and sparkley, that would make a lovely ring. It''s up on ebay and might go for a very good price; ten hours left to go. Shon does have a 100% no questions asked return policy. Not much lead time, but the pictures look nice. You can check ebay under dealmastershon, and look for auctions ending soon, it''s right there.

jasong

Rough_Rock
Cherrypicked lists a location very close to my office but (according to their website) they aren''t open for walk-ins or appointments. I''ll email Richard and see what stones he has available, and how/if I can see them. Should I be looking for anything in specific when I look at a ruby?

jasong

Rough_Rock
LdyNghtWng, the ruby you mentioned on ebay does indeed look very nice. I''m a little skeptical, though, as all dealmastershon''s recently ended auctions had very low selling prices. Is he selling way under market price on ebay? I think it may be best for me to go into his store to see for myself (not that I could price anything out by eye). Any advice?

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
Often his items go under market on eBay; other times they run high. Of course, eBay can always go either way for a seller (or for a buyer). I think the market is a little weak just now compared to say, December. Some of my best buys from him were from auctions. But other items I have bid on have gotten away! Auctions are always a risk if you want a specific item.

For a once in a lifetime purchase I think it is best to look over everything in his shop and give yourself all the options. You want to have something that''s 100% perfect. Besides, it is a phenomenal learning experience to rummage through all the goodies even if you don''t end up buying! He is very enthusiastic and patient with questions.

My one piece of layman''s advice about rubies for e-rings is to make sure you look at the stone in daylight. So many rubies blanch or go purplish, especially in overcast or shade. I guess there isn''t enough red in the light for the ruby to reflect. This is not so bad if you want a fancy RHR for evening wear, but you want an e-ring to be *wow* all the time. I am disappointed with my Tiffany & Co. ruby eternity band, which is lovely indoors but outside, nothing special. If you get a ruby that is bright in daylight, it''s a winner. Some of my stones even fluoresce red, which is an added benefit; they look like they are burning from within. That''s just a matter of luck.

By the way, my latest Shon special is a 2.4 ct. cushion cut no heat pinky Padparadsha, in platinum with trapezoid diamond sidestones. It shimmers and sparkles with sweet peachy flashes. This was a custom order; I wouldn''t have risked someone else getting that pretty stone!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Any advice? My $0.02, make sure you get an AGTA or AGL report for anything like this you buy, and don't sacrifice beauty for lack of treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results