shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby Cocktail Ring

mintbark

Shiny_Rock
I've found a ruby cocktail ring and I wanted to get some opinions on the ruby itself. The ruby looks really clear and pretty red, it comes with a GIA certificate. Thoughts? I don't know how to estimate the ruby's value. Are there any questions I should be asking the vendor? The total ring comes to 5k.

-- Certification Details --
Laboratory: GIA
Report Number: 5171085541
Stone Type: Natural Corundum - Ruby
Stone Shape: Oval
Cutting Style: Crown: Brilliant Cut
Cutting Style: Pavilion: Step Cut
Transparency: Transparent
Color: Red
Geographic Origin: Thailand
Dimensions: 7.80 x 5.36 x 3.77 mm
Treatment: Heated (Minor Residues)
Weight: 1.39 carat

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 16.30.05.png Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 16.30.32.png Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 16.30.57.png

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know much about rubies, but I love the ring. It's very glamorous.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I will post another ruby for comparison.

This example ruby is smaller, but it is Burmese origin, which price-wise will make up for the size difference, since Burmese origin in a good stone is priced 50%-100% above other ruby origins. It's similarly treated (heated with clarity enhancement). Color seems to be even better than your Thai ruby.

Example 2 with similar treatment. Cheaper because smaller, but the color also seems to be better than that Thai ruby.

The Thai ruby in my opinion is worth between $500 and $1850, but no more than $1850. However, this is just the opinion of a consumer, not someone in the jewelry industry.

I do like the overall ring, and don't know how to value the diamonds in it as we weren't given specs on those. Whether $5k is a good price for the ring depends on what you consider the setting to be worth, as well.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a glorious ring however the ring is priced more for the substantial diamond setting rather than the quality of the ruby.
The GIA report states “minor residues”, that is potentially concerning, also the ruby is somewhat windowed.
Also, I don’t think the ruby is original to that setting. It’s not a very good fit, it’s a bit small, hence the gaps around the ruby, especially along the “sides”. And it seems (?) that the marquis diamond at the 5 o’clock position is a smaller replacement diamond, as the metal of the setting is quite visible.
I’m also not sure, without diamond details, if $5,000 is a good price.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe residue suggests glass filling added during the heating process to enhance clarity (similar to the inexpensive ruby that @voce posted. IF this is the case, I'm surprised that GIA report doesn't spell this out whereas the AGL brief on voce's stone does.

There isn't anything wrong with this per se as it's stated as minor, is fairly common, does improve the look of the stone and you are buying with full disclosure (many aren't). However, it does reduce the ruby's value compared to a heat only ruby. So as others have suggested, much of what you are paying for is the setting.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I believe residue suggests glass filling added during the heating process to enhance clarity (similar to the inexpensive ruby that @voce posted. IF this is the case, I'm surprised that GIA report doesn't spell this out whereas the AGL brief on voce's stone does.

There isn't anything wrong with this per se as it is fairly common, does improve the look of the stone and you are buying with full disclosure (many aren't). However, it does reduce the ruby's value compared to a heat only ruby. So as others have suggested, much of what you are paying for is the setting.

I have to say that I've posted two examples of clarity enhanced rubies, but I don't think clarity enhancement means glass in these two examples. Particularly since the AGL briefs for both rubies stated at least "very good" for stability assessment. There are modern treatments such as Excel or the other one used in Colombia for emeralds, that are a LOT more stable than glass as clarity treatment. Glass filling is NOT good for stability, and will probably get rated "poor" stability by AGL. Unfortunately, I don't know if the Thai ruby the OP is considering has glass fillers. Since it says minor residues instead of heavy or moderate, I'm assuming not.

I just don't think either example I posted is a poor quality ruby by any means.
I would recommend those rubies to someone who doesn't mind buying a treated ruby that has good stability. They were just posted to show that with clarity enhanced rubies price is considerably lower than untreated or heat only rubies, even with a very good stability assessment from the best colored stone independent lab. These example rubies are probably treated less than the majority of rubies sold on the commercial market today.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To clarify, I didn't say it was a poor quality ruby and I realize it may have come across as such.. I'm sorry!! I shouldn't have taken my time to reread before posting.

But flux heating is a very COMMON treatment as mentioned (I should have clarified means acceptable..like oiling for emeralds). But it is the introduction of silica (glass) to fill the fissures which is why it's good that it is minor.

I should have clarified that this is different than lead-glass filled rubies which you probably thought I was referring to (because what most think of as glass filled). Poor choice of words on my part. And apologize for the confusion.

Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stand corrected "Fluxes will usually consist of Borax or other borates, glass flux, cryolite, alumina powder and sometimes chromium powder".

And it appears that even if no residue is present, it doesn't mean flux wasn't part of the heating process (just no fissures to fill). So one should assume a heat treated ruby without residues went through the same, again common, process for many locales. I just found this which was interesting: https://multibriefs.com/briefs/agta/gemguide1.htm

I guess I just learned something so thank you. :)

I really don't know much about rubies (or their pricing) so shouldn't have posted without double checking my facts in addition to my wording. I just looked up the price of rubies so take back my comment on that as well, lol.

Sorry again for misleading.

Last edited:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
This seller is very nice and would provide more pictures when asked.

mintbark

Shiny_Rock
Natural Genuine Diamonds - Marquise Cut - Prong Set - VS1/VS2 Clarity - H/I Color - 3.15ctw (approx.)

^ according to the vendor on the diamonds.

I had originally thought that "minor residue" referred to the fact that it's heated (which I'm okay with). I'm not okay with further enhancements so I'm going to pass. Thanks for the advice, I'm really glad I posted here first. I'm trying to get a cocktail ring in each of the major gem groups (emerald/sapphire/ruby -- I have the emerald and a sapphire necklace I could convert into a ring), but this ring might be too cocktail-y even for me.

@Bron357 great eye! I hadn't noticed the 5 o'clock diamond replacement.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually think it's a very pretty ring. I think for a nice Ruby ring something will have to give: size, treatment/quality, quality of the setting.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minor residues is NOT the same as glass filled low quality stones. Lots of Burmese and decent quality rubies are heat with minor residues.... it is a not reversible process....

I'd be more included to worry about over paying because it's a Thai ruby - hence not as expensive as Burma and Africa and other origins, & the fact it's a darkish purple pinky red not a red red.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooops that should say inclined not included hahahah spell correct at it's best!!!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minor residues is NOT the same as glass filled low quality stones. Lots of Burmese and decent quality rubies are heat with minor residues.... it is a not reversible process....

I'd be more included to worry about over paying because it's a Thai ruby - hence not as expensive as Burma and Africa and other origins, & the fact it's a darkish purple pinky red not a red red.

+1

Adding flux while heating is assumed in rubies from many locales and considered acceptable. It is NOT the same as lead glass filling found in lower quality stones. Plus minor residue is good.

I'm sorry for posting what I did and only did so because I remembered being surprised to learn this awhile ago...but not relative to your question :)

mintbark

Shiny_Rock
So if it's heat only, it would just say Heated on the certificate? The (minor residue) refers to additional enhancements?

What do you think of this? It's uncerted but Burmese and much more wearable. I prefer premade jewelry vs. loose stones.

p5169-50_wy.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-05-22 at 10.10.57.png

1.78 carats uncertified Burmese ruby
44 small natural rubies - 0.54 carats total
12 Rose-cut diamonds - 1.49 carats total
Mushroom pave
Hand-forged platinum
18" platinum chain with lobster claw lock

The ruby has not been tested and assumed to be heated.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
The minor residue refers to flux detected, but only to a small degree.

I love the necklace from Leon Mege. It's more expensive than $5k, right?

mintbark

Shiny_Rock
Yes, much more.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So if it's heat only, it would just say Heated on the certificate? The (minor residue) refers to additional enhancements?

What do you think of this? It's uncerted but Burmese and much more wearable. I prefer premade jewelry vs. loose stones.

p5169-50_wy.jpg

1.78 carats uncertified Burmese ruby
44 small natural rubies - 0.54 carats total
12 Rose-cut diamonds - 1.49 carats total
Mushroom pave
Hand-forged platinum
18" platinum chain with lobster claw lock

The ruby has not been tested and assumed to be heated.

That’s not chump change, but lower than I expected it to be.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I found the necklace on his website. If it's really heat only, that's a reasonable price, but my concern would be what the lab will say. This is because a heat-only ruby of that caliber and size can be expected to fetch $8k-$9k, in North American markets, just the stone itself. So it's suspiciously low priced for the finished piece, but you might have found yourself a really good deal.

Last edited:

mintbark

Shiny_Rock
Last edited:

mintbark

Shiny_Rock
I talked to Leon about the pendant. He says that the ruby is top color and is heat only from Burma -- know's this because he's a "gemologist". But there are no certifications. I think it's gorgeous, but I know even ruby dealers cannot be sure of treatments without a reputable lab.

I asked if he would guarantee if it's heat only, and he gave me an answer that makes me unsure if he would honor a return. My plan is to take to AGL and getting a gem brief with the mounted pendant. He's giving me a discount over the listed price. I'm thinking of going to see the pendant next week. Is there anything I should look out for in person?

mintbark

Shiny_Rock
I saw the Leon, it was pretty, but very pink. And I wanted red. Back to the drawing board.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
I saw the Leon, it was pretty, but very pink. And I wanted red. Back to the drawing board.

Mintbark,
I will be going in person to Badis next week so if you would like me to look at that ruby ring I’m happy to do so.
I’ve seen it and thought it was very pretty but I didn’t look super closely at it.
I also know he’s got a pigeons blood that’s 1.09 carats that I am very seriously considering buying myself.
I am in the market for a ruby as well and I know how hard it is to tell color from a computer.
Perhaps some outside pics of both would help you?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results