shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby Clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rubylover

Rough_Rock
I''m the first timer here to post. I brought this 1.63 ct "pigeon blood colored" ruby from online. The seller told me that ruby does not have any inclusions (eye clean). Today the package arrived and hubby tells me after looking at the stone that there is a silk kind of inclusion visible at the corner of the stone and also the it''s slightly chipped at the corner. But the color is beautiful.This ruby came with GRS certificate. The certificate does not mention anything about the clarity, but does mention the color as pigeon blood.
After contacting the seller, he says, If you put it in a ring, the inclusion will not be visible. As with the corner chipping, he said he will "fix" it.
What should I do? Did I pay too much for this stone..? I will try to post the photo tomorrow.
8.gif
7.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 5:42:46 PM
Author:rubylover
I'm the first timer here to post. I brought this 1.63 ct 'pigeon blood colored' ruby from online. The seller told me that ruby does not have any inclusions (eye clean). Today the package arrived and hubby tells me after looking at the stone that there is a silk kind of inclusion visible at the corner of the stone and also the it's slightly chipped at the corner. But the color is beautiful.This ruby came with GRS certificate. The certificate does not mention anything about the clarity, but does mention the color as pigeon blood.
After contacting the seller, he says, If you put it in a ring, the inclusion will not be visible. As with the corner chipping, he said he will 'fix' it.
What should I do? Did I pay too much for this stone..? I will try to post the photo tomorrow.
8.gif
7.gif
Just out of interest, what did you pay?

I'm presuming the stone comes from a Thai dealer?

Silk - if that's what it is - is a good inclusion to have in corundum as long as there isn't too much.

'Pigeon blood' is not a term that should be used (although GRS do) - along with 'cornflower blue' sapphire, it's far too subjective - and many dealers say that they have never seen a true 'pigeon's blood red' ruby.

rubylover

Rough_Rock
Here are couple of photos..

rubylover

Rough_Rock
Paid total of $5725.00.
I''m unable to upload photos..
I will try again

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
At that price, I would send it off for an independent appraisal.

Richard Sherwood has a very good reputation for coloured stones, he's a PS member so you should find his details on here.

That will give you a lot more information than any of us could from a photograph.

If it is silk, that is a good indication that the stone hasn't been heated - major plus.

Don't despair yet about the chip either - I had several chips in my tsavorite and it was restored with almost no loss in weight.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s too bad the picture didn''t turn out at all. If the chip is minor, it can be polished out without much carat weight loss (0.02 ct or so thereabouts) and the physical dimension will remain very close to the original measurement. I cannot comment on the inclusion without seeing at least a picture of it. As for the colour, calling it "pigeon blood" is a very subjective trade term. Just as our own blood varies slightly in colour as well, it would not be an accurate description.
9.gif

rubylover

Rough_Rock
Thx for the reply Crono & PandoraII.
Hubby sent it back today. We were not happy with the fact that he lied to us saying it''s "eye clean".
So I''m back hunting again for Ruby, also for sapphire & emerald. After burning my hands couple of times,I don''t know whom to trust. I''m thinking to stick to buy stones with full certificate.

Does anybody know of any good & trustworthy seller?

Appreciate everybody''s help.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have purchased from Wildfishgems and I find their descriptions are accurate. I have successfully returned gemstones to them also. No problems.

If I had an extra 5k for a ruby, I''d pick this one. Ruby I love the red-red stones.
36.gif

trru101-1r.jpg

rubylover

Rough_Rock
Thx Flygirl.

Even I luvvvv red stones. I did contact him for other stone. Infact yesterday he sent me the certificates to look at. My concern is he mentions clarity to be free on inclusions on his website, but nothing on clarity is mentioned on the 3rd party certificates.

Did you take your stones to local gemologist to check the clarity after you received them from Ed? How''s satisfaction level dealing with him? Is he genuine dealer?
Any one else did business with him? Please let me know your inputs.

Sorry to bug with silly questions.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 4:39:41 PM
Author: rubylover
Thx Flygirl.

Even I luvvvv red stones. I did contact him for other stone. Infact yesterday he sent me the certificates to look at. My concern is he mentions clarity to be free on inclusions on his website, but nothing on clarity is mentioned on the 3rd party certificates.

Did you take your stones to local gemologist to check the clarity after you received them from Ed? How''s satisfaction level dealing with him? Is he genuine dealer?
Any one else did business with him? Please let me know your inputs.

Sorry to bug with silly questions.
Yes, my green aquamarine was rated by Ed to be Very Lightly Included (according to his site: Lightly Included: Inclusions are visible under a 10x magnification but rarely with the unaided eye) and the local appraiser wrote, "Aquamarine is medium light blueish green of moderate saturation. Type I, VS clarity." So that was consistent. I have returned one spinel that was windowed (my fault, I didn''t ask him specifically this question), but the color was spot-on gorgeous in person, just like the web site. No problem at all with the return.

I just received a pair of Kashmir blue sapphires this week that are rated by Ed to be free of inclusions. The color is absolutely magnificent and I don''t see any inclusions, but I haven''t had time to take them to a gemologist yet.

rubylover

Rough_Rock
Thx a ton Flygirl!!!

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Rubylover,

It looks as though your concern is with a stone that shows a visible inclusion from the side or back. Many dealers consider a stone to be eye-clean or eye-flawless if it shows no visible inclusions in the face-up position. Some natural stones also have naturals, that is naturally occurring inclusions that break the surface.

I am not saying that you must accept the stone if these characteristics are bothersome only that with natural fine color rubies the rarity dictates a more "flexible" attitude with regard to minor problems. A stone with none of these problems could cost several times the price you paid which, by the way is quite low for a natural ruby over 1.5 carats.

As for color, I don't agree that pigeon's blood is a "subjective trade term". I defined the term very specifically in my book. I do agree that the term is used rather loosely by some dealers.

GRS uses the term to define fine color. Bear in mind that "natural" unheated ruby is exceptionally rare. One of the things that heating does it to clarify the crystal of a ruby reducing obvious inclusions.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results