shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby anniversary bangle

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Several of you know that my husband has been learning how to make jewelry as a hobby for the past several years. In fact, I have posted some of the pieces he has made me before. The jeweler who does all of my custom work, Courtney Poole Pendergrast, is his jewelry teacher.

A year ago, for our 10th wedding anniversary, we went gem grubbing. I get that it can be kind of cheesy and what-not, but we had a really good time sitting near a lovely serene lake in the N. GA mountains, hanging out and looking for gems.

We found a rough ruby, not royal quality, but mostly opaque and sort of purplish-red in hue. I had it cut, facet-style, but the result kind of reminds me of one of those sliced rubies you sometimes see in contemporary jewelry. I thought it would be fun to make it into a bangle.

I have large hands, width-wise, and relatively small wrists (6" diameter) so it's very hard for me to find a bangle that I can slip over my hand that will actually fit my wrist without sinking into my hand when I wear it.

My husband took a lesson with Courtney and learned how to make a hinged bangle. The bangle is sterling silver with a hinge and hinge-clasp. It fits perfectly! He gave it to me this year, as an early 11 year anniversary gift! I thought that was a great way to enjoy the ruby we found and I love that the finding of the stone and the making of the bangle are both tied to our anniversaries.

img_8785.jpg

img_8786.jpg

img_8787.jpg

fullsizerender_7.jpg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Awesome gift and husband for making this for you!

The love of gems is the only thing I don't have in common with my hubby but luckily he's got great taste so I can ask his opinion when I'm in doubt.

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Such a lovely and thoughtful journey that culminated into this very special anniversary present! Looks beautiful on you and your husband did an amazing job! Thank you for sharing.

Huldak

Shiny_Rock
I love this! Would your hubby like to go into business and make one for me? :)

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
How awesome is that! What a fabulous piece of jewelry! Tell your husband he did a fantastic job!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's unique and thoughtful, it made go "awwwwwwwww", thanks for sharing.

DK :))

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I LOVE it too! :love: I'll be next in line behind Huldak for a beautiful bangle when hubby goes commercial............enjoy it in every way it was intended!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh! Beautiful and thoughtful gift. It looks beautiful on you. A 'classic modern' look.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! :love: And I love that your dh made it for you with his own two hands. Wonderful gift! :appl:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely story, your bangle is beautiful.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous bangle, and the story is so sweet! :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

Very cool story and lovely hinged bangle. Wear it in good health! :D

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
I really love this. It looks like something a Viking would have brought back for his wife.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
That is gorgeous! And what a nice story to go with it. I keep dropping hints around my hubby, but he doesn't seem interested. ha!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't think of a better, more special present. What a wonderful way to commemorate good time you've spent with each other. If you feel up to it, I would love it if you took more pics, including the hinge mechanism? You husband has talent!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Thats so beautiful and special too! Your husband is very talented!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Your husband did an amazing job! It looks fantastic on you! :appl:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is totally awesome!!!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, all. I've been enjoying wearing it. In fact, the one day I didn't wear it, was our "real" anniversary, Thursday 8/6. When I came home from work, I discovered that he had given it a super-shine polish and had engraved the inside with his initials and 8/6/15 for our anniversary!

I'm attaching some pics of the hinge from when it was being made so you can see it (and the engraving).

img_8890.jpg

img_8891.jpg

img_8892.jpg

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Tanzigrrl|1438990654|3912348 said:
Thank you, all. I've been enjoying wearing it. In fact, the one day I didn't wear it, was our "real" anniversary, Thursday 8/6. When I came home from work, I discovered that he had given it a super-shine polish and had engraved the inside with his initials and 8/6/15 for our anniversary!

I'm attaching some pics of the hinge from when it was being made so you can see it (and the engraving).

That's so sweet! :clap: Happy Anniversary!

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely anniversary gift. Your husband is such a sweetheart. Happy anniversary!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results