shape
carat
color
clarity

Ruby and diamond ring

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone and good morning :)

I was visiting my hometown this week and walked into an antique jewelry store asking for untreated rubies. I was shown two Burmese unheated rubies of >2cts, both certified unheated Burmese by Gübelin. One of them was slighly too dark for my taste, but the other one:

2.61 carats, open vivid red color, very good clarity (eye clean at least, possibly almost 2.5x loupe clean), heart-shaped ruby. Set in a ring with a similarly sized, also heart-shaped GIA certified G-colored diamond with VVS clarity. The hearts were set one next the other facing opposite sites. The ring was from then 80s’ so most likely a Mogok ruby since Mong Hsu was not producing at that time yet. I could not check fluorescence under UV lamp but it seemed to glow quite nicely.

I have no pictures and I doubt I could go and ask to get some, however: asking price was the equivalent of USD 65’000. Now, I have no intention to buy it BUT rubies of that size, quality (the best I have seen so far) and origin sell for >75k online. Add a large diamond and the ring and I think this is a bargain. Only downside for me is the heart shape.

Just throwing it out there, I think I will go again next time and negotiate to take some pictures.

Btw they also had the most glowy emeralds from Muzo...lovely place!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was it an estate/antique store? They typically have beautiful items.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if it is a Graff piece. Can't wait to see pics.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, it was. I think the lady owning the store must have had it for the longest time. Anyway it was really beautiful and hope to be able to take and post some pictures in the near future!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it was. I think the lady owning the store must have had it for the longest time. Anyway it was really beautiful and hope to be able to take and post some pictures in the near future!
I hope you do! Antique and estate stores are you see the nicest gemstones.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if it is a Graff piece. Can't wait to see pics.

I didn’t check but speaking of Graff - whst about THE Graff ruby itself (my avatar picture)? Could someone buy it from them? I think it was re-bought by Graff for 8.5-ish million US dollars. I wonder how many people are in line waiting :geek2:

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t check but speaking of Graff - whst about THE Graff ruby itself (my avatar picture)? Could someone buy it from them? I think it was re-bought by Graff for 8.5-ish million US dollars. I wonder how many people are in line waiting :geek2:
He reset it. The original setting was incredible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results