shape
carat
color
clarity

Rubies??

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone know if any of the major retailers are making ruby or ruby and diamond rings? I know Tiffany's is not. Thank you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous50|1444639747|3937406 said:
Does anyone know if any of the major retailers are making ruby or ruby and diamond rings? I know Tiffany's is not. Thank you!
With quality rubies? That'll be difficult. What are you trying to achieve? Three stone with a ruby center/ diamond sides? Vise versa? Ruby with a halo?

You're best bet would be to buy the rubies loose and get then set separately.

Also be prepared rubies are expensive

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really sure what you mean by "major retailers," but - I have seen them at Cartier, Harry Winston, and various displays in Neiman Marcus, though I didn't actually look at who they were by, other than the Van Cleef & Arpels. Given the pieces I've seen, I suspect inventory varies by store and isn't listed online; you'd need to figure out which brand you want and work with a sales consultant to have pieces brought in if ones exist that meet your specs & budget.

And to ditto Niel, good quality rubies are expensive - often wildly so. At any of the places I mentioned, I doubt you'd find a ruby ring for less than $30k - most of the ones I've seen were $50k and up.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1444651390|3937420 said:
Not really sure what you mean by "major retailers," but - I have seen them at Cartier, Harry Winston, and various displays in Neiman Marcus, though I didn't actually look at who they were by, other than the Van Cleef & Arpels. Given the pieces I've seen, I suspect inventory varies by store and isn't listed online; you'd need to figure out which brand you want and work with a sales consultant to have pieces brought in if ones exist that meet your specs & budget.

And to ditto Niel, good quality rubies are expensive - often wildly so. At any of the places I mentioned, I doubt you'd find a ruby ring for less than $30k - most of the ones I've seen were $50k and up.

You're right I've seen them there, but because of the price range you mention I didn't even think to mention. Lovely stuff though.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1444652069|3937424 said:

You're right I've seen them there, but because of the price range you mention I didn't even think to mention. Lovely stuff though.

Well given that one of OP's other posts is about a 3.85 ct diamond, it could be her budget - you never know! Mostly I'm waiting for someone to buy a $75k Cartier ruby ring and post a zillion pics of it on the forum so I can be vicariously satisfied.

OP, if you happen to be in Vegas, the Vegas jewelry stores all seem to have a couple ruby rings on hand. If it doesn't need to be brand name, or if used is fine, there are plenty of nice ruby rings on the secondhand market. 1stdibs has quite a few to look through - https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/stone/ruby/ Even with antiques I'd insist on a lab report representing it to be untreated or heated only. Synthetic stones have been around for over a century at this point. And insist on a lab report even if getting from a prestige brand jeweler. Tiffany, for instance, has listed in their gemstone booklet that rubies may be "infused with other substances to improve color and clarity," e.g., glass-filled. I thought at one point it also said they could be diffused (a more invasive form of heat treatment) but the current booklet is showing diffusion for yellow sapphires but no other color of corundum.

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Doesn't the H on the DBL ruby's GRS report mean heat-treated? I still cannot afford it.....

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
boerumbiddy|1444670547|3937484 said:
Doesn't the H on the DBL ruby's GRS report mean heat-treated? I still cannot afford it.....

Sorry I'm not one of the experts and certainly not on colored stones. I just saw that ring and thought of it when I saw your post.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Quoted because I agree 100%

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1444675122|3937501 said:
boerumbiddy|1444670547|3937484 said:

Sorry I'm not one of the experts and certainly not on colored stones. I just saw that ring and thought of it when I saw your post.

Don't apologize, It's nice eye candy ::)

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Fabulous50|1444639747|3937406 said:

Hi, the reason you don't see rubies commonplace at the high end jewellers is that, in the USA, they are unable to use post-embargo Myanmar ('Burmese') rubies and will almost certainly have drained their pre-embargo stock.

That said there are very fine rubies from a number of other worldwide locations, so I see no reason why they will not be carried by many of the jewellers mentioned upthread.

If you purchased a post-embargo Myanmar ruby overseas, you would be prohibited from taking it into the United States.

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the helpful responses! I am looking for something with rubies in a wedding band, but i don't have a specific design in mind. I recently lost my wedding band, which is a ruby and diamond 16 stone Tiffany Schlumberger ring. I hate typing those words, I still can't believe it is gone and I still hope to find it one day. My husband gave it to me as a surprise on our wedding day, and I am so sad about it. Anyway! I was hoping to replace it with a ring with rubies and an interesting design, which is why I asked about major retailers. I will go look in the stores and see what I can find.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fabulous50|1445337119|3940165 said:
..... I recently lost my wedding band, which is a ruby and diamond 16 stone Tiffany Schlumberger ring. I hate typing those words, I still can't believe it is gone and I still hope to find it one day. ,.....

Sorry to hear that...
If you think you lost it outside the house, somewhere outdoor like a back yard or something, you could ask someone with a metal detector to help you find it.

I've once helped my neighbour find her gold chain bracelet, I have a pretty good eyesight and I did find it in the dirt in front of her house. She accidentally threw it out the window when she was airing the bed sheets.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous50|1445337119|3940165 said:
Thanks for all the helpful responses! I am looking for something with rubies in a wedding band, but i don't have a specific design in mind. I recently lost my wedding band, which is a ruby and diamond 16 stone Tiffany Schlumberger ring. I hate typing those words, I still can't believe it is gone and I still hope to find it one day. My husband gave it to me as a surprise on our wedding day, and I am so sad about it. Anyway! I was hoping to replace it with a ring with rubies and an interesting design, which is why I asked about major retailers. I will go look in the stores and see what I can find.

Gosh that is so sad to hear. if I hear of anything I'll let you know!

Fabulous50

Brilliant_Rock
Gloria27 and Niel - thanks for your kind responses - I still can't believe they are gone (it's actually 2 rings missing). I live in an apartment and we have torn the place apart looking! They will probably reappear right after I find a replacement....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results