shape
carat
color
clarity

Rubies in tension settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alatus

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
My fiance has just announced that she does NOT want a diamond for her engagement ring; she says she wants a ruby instead (she still wants a tension setting in platinum or titanium). I have researched a few places (including the comments on this forum) and I still don''t truly understand if a ruby will withstand the tension of the setting over time. I understand that if it''s insured, I have few worries. However, I want to avoid putting a fine stone into a potentially damaging setting.
Any advice/opinions?

Thanks!

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
I know that the engineers behind the kretchmer tension
setting first examine the stone prior to setting, to see if the integrity of the crystal will withstand the pressure.

Kirk Konst

alatus

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information. Several dealers have told me that the best way is to buy a stone first, take it to my jeweler for inspection, then send it in with cert. to be set. All the same dealers said that I should then take it back to my jeweler to verify that my stone made it into my ring (and insure it throughout). One company which deals entirely in titanium suggested that they would prefer not to send the CZ in the setting if was to be swapped later, but that they would set my stone for no charge excepting shipping/insurance costs.

If I may ask, are tension settings relatively new (this is my first venture into this area)? There seems to be much trepidation about stones being set in these settings, but everyone who gets them seems to happy with them. Just curious.

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
I think that a ruby in a tension setting would be beautiful! I know that sapphires are hard enough to be set in a tension setting, so I'm guessing that rubies are the same hardness since they are both forms of corundum. Someone please correct me if I am wrong though
1.gif
I think that the thing you should watch out for is that the stone isn't too included. Alot of rubies I've seen look fairly included, and tension settings cannot be done on stones that are worse than SI1. If you have other questions about setting a ruby in a tension setting, you might want to contact the manufacturer of the setting to see if there are other things to watch out for.

Good luck, that sounds like it would be a very unique and fabulous ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results