shape
carat
color
clarity

Rubies and pad sapphires

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tahitiangirl

Rough_Rock
I have found two new loves, pads and rubies! The only problem is I know very little about each stone. So, if anyone knows anything aobut pads or rubies, please post the information. I would like to know the pros and cons of each stone, what to look for in a good stone...
Thanks,
-Stephanie

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
Well, both stones are corrundum so wear will be no worse from one to the other. All else will be effectively equal but the color(and the impurity content that causes the color) and the cost for a fine specimen. In the generic sense, when it comes to rubies and sapphires and choosing among them, it''s all about the color as long as the other factors are equal and acceptable.

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
Coloured stones are all about your preferences. The most prized colour for a ruby is a deep blood red, but I found that a more medium red with the slightest bit of pink is much more feminine, and also less expensive. Make sure you look at a nice range of stones to see the different shades of red and decide what suits you best. Think "stop light red", and move along from there.

I think the most important thing is to make sure you look at these stone in different lighting, esp. outdoors. Many rubies look phenomenal in incandescent light, but in daylight go bland and purplish. If you like the ruby in the shade, then you''ll always be happy! That might not matter if you are buying a fancy ring for dress-up wear, but it does if you plan to wear the ring day in and day out. I have one ring that is heart stopping in restaurants.I don''t really care if its blah in daylight, because it has such an ornate setting I only wear it for special occasions.

Pads also change colour with the light, so the same advice holds. Look for a nice orangish pink stone. People often say they have to come from Sri Lanka to be true Pads. African stones advertised as Pads are often pretty, but don''t have the right colour. Pads shouldn''t be too pale and washed out but they also shouldn''t be too intense in colour, and have to have both pink and orange tones. Because of their delicacy, Pads seem to go with any outfit. I can''t think of any con, other than the fact that some people won''t know what kind of stone it is, or might think it is a pink sapphire, perish the thought!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you love Pads??? Well so do I? As you will notice in my Avatar. Tee hee.

I have purchased all of mine from www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com Steven Bliss is wonderful to work with. I am so hooked on them. I own many colors of them. orangish pink and pinkish orange. All of mine are from Ceylon, as personally I feel they have the best stones. But...... that is just MY opinion.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Forgot to mention. Type padparadscha sapphire in the search engine. Good info will come up.
18.gif

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results