shape
carat
color
clarity

Rubies and Emeralds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Okay, so you''ll have to bear with my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to coloured stones, but my husband has suggested that it would be nice if I were to get a gift celebrating my 30th birthday/upcoming wedding anniversary. I already have a diamond engagement ring and eternity band, but have always been more drawn to coloured stones, particularly emeralds and rubies.

I have $6k to spend (which equates to $10k in value, roughly, with our jeweller friend) and need some ideas
31.gif

Would rubies as earrings be prohibitively expensive? What size should Ii expect to get for that budget? Has anyone seen a stacked band that might be nice -- either alternating diamond/ruby or diamond/emerald? Anything you''ve seen recently that floats your boat?

Thanks!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Let me dig out a bezel rubi-diamond band i ones posted, i would use rubi if chosen for a ring and if you'll go with emeralds - earrings.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know how much it would be, depends on the stones, congratulation on upcoming anniversary/birthday!

rubydiaetmain1.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice present no matter what you decide to have made or buy!

ruby is harder and more durable than emerald. emerald as a ring that isn''t going to be worn often might work depending on how its set.

another option might be a combined pendant! could be stunning!

movie zombie

ps another green stone to check out is tsavorite which is a green garnet. with your budget you might find a really nice one. still not meant to be worn 24/7 but would get you a great green color stone for a ring....not nearly as fragile as emerald.

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
You risk to have a hard time finding (and pay a huge premium if you find) a pair of good rubies. In emeralds, I don’t know.
With 6k you could be looking for a single ruby in 3 to 5 k and make a very nice ring.
You can also look for an emerald cut ruby and make a twin ring or pendant if you don’t want to choose. I’ve seen a few Madagascar rubies cut this way that were not very expensive.
You may find two good 1+ Ct stones (say 7x5 mm emerald) with 5k and have 1k left for setting which should be all right if the jeweller is a friend.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ursalawrite!
35.gif

Sounds like a great gift! Happy 30th Birthday and Happy Anniversary!

Do you have diamond studs? If so, one thing you could think about doing is getting gemstone earring jackets. They could be in the form of drops or halos or a combo thereof. I just had a pair of sapphires made into jackets. I''ll try to post a picture for you.

I''ve seen a ring at Costco, believe it or not, that has alternating rubies and diamonds that looks like it could be quite nice. Here''s a link:

2-4.5mm, 1-5.5mm Rubies, 1 tcw diamonds, 18K $4700

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
ruby-3-stone-new-5.jpg

This would be a nice honker for an anniversary pressie!
30.gif

2.70 carat at under 5k

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
2354.jpg

I like the style of this one it''s really unique!!!
I loooove heart shaped rubies!!
30.gif
30.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Here is an image of the sapphire earring jackets.

EarJacketSapp3.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
I would think you can do this easily with rubies. Pardon this image - it's a little out-of-focus and kinda dark, but you get the idea of how the setting was assembled.

EarJacketSapp1.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Last one. I bought the sapphires about 2 years ago, but finding a matched pair was not easy. I bought the diamonds separately and had my jeweler create the setting. The studs are 1 carat each, each sapphire is around 0.85 ct, and each bottom diamond is around 0.45 ct. The setting is 18K. The jackets (not incl. studs) cost me under $4K. I'm sure you can get something REALLY nice for $6K.

EarJacketSapp2.jpg

MustangFan

Brilliant_Rock
RUB-00121-l.jpg
Here''s a 1carat ruby for $2500
Nice color!!

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the fabulous ideas. I do like that ruby/diamond ring. Just exquisite.

When looking for rubies, are the darker, blood-red stones the more valuable ones? Is that any indication of quality or just a preference? Any tips on what to avoid like the plague?

Emerald is my birth stone, so I haven''t discounted that gem yet. My jeweller has the most fabulous engagement ring (in addition to a honking diamond) that is probably 3-4 carats -- an emerald-shape emerald (is that technically correct?) that I just about drooled over last time I saw her. I think that really spurred my coloured stone admiration on!

Please do keep the suggestions coming...

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Have you seen the emerald cut emerald with diamond sides for sale on Leon Mege''s site- so droolworthy
3.gif
but unfortunately twice your budget
7.gif
. Still it''s lovely to look at
1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom has mainly emerald jewelry and has been really luck so far with them (though she doesn''t wear them daily). My favorite is her emerald PR cut tennis bracelet. It is beautiful. You would get some ring guards made for your wedding set.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of emeralds since they are your birthstone but they are terribly fragile.

I LOVE rubies and I prefer the reddish pink tone, not super dark but not pink either. I think stacking bands or those earring jackets like Starry posted are amazing (gorgeous earrings, just love them Starry!)...

If you do not want a ring, I like the earring idea the best...

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 4:47:39 AM
Author: colorchange
Has anybody used this shop ?
They afre using the same ruby photo for all rings and I doubt you can get a 2.7 Ct genuine ruby of the quality shown above for less than 5k...
I've never used them. The ruby clarity description says "cleanish" - that leaves the door open for pretty "included", as far as I see it.

I don't have a problem with the vendor using a stock photo as a representation of what they can supply, but I think you'd really have to talk to a salesperson and ask them to send pictures of the actual ruby they would use, before making a commitment to buy.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 12:37:33 AM
Author: diamondfan
I think stacking bands or those earring jackets like Starry posted are amazing (gorgeous earrings, just love them Starry!)...
Thanks diamondfan!
35.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2007 10:17:25 PM
Author: lisaC
Have you seen the emerald cut emerald with diamond sides for sale on Leon Mege''s site- so droolworthy
3.gif
but unfortunately twice your budget
7.gif
. Still it''s lovely to look at
1.gif
LOL, LisaC someone needs to hurry up and buy that ring so we can stop lusting after it!
9.gif

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Do you care of clarity enhancement (glass filling) is the FIRST question you should ask yourself.

A vast majority of the rubies for sale without certificates (not to say all) are glass filled to a certain amount.
The price these stones claim are very different, and if you go for this kind of stone, you should take care that no big flaw is hidden since it may affect the durability of the stone.
In Europe, these rubies can’t get sold (in France they are not allowed to be called rubies) and most fine jewellers won’t sell of these, so price between minor clarity enhancement and no clarity enhancement is very different.
If you decide for such stones, look around, you should get nice stones at 500 to 2000$/Ct depending on quality.

If you don’t want such treatment you should ask systematically for a certificate, and you are left with the big choice of the origin: Burma, Madagascar or Vietnam (emerging).
The second is much less expensive and usually not as bright.
You can get fine red unheated stones below 2000/Ct, if you go for purplish red, you can go down to $1000/Ct.
In Burmese, you will have a hard time finding a good stone over 1 Ct below $3000.

Vietnam is a good compromise, quite similar to Burma, not as expensive, many unheated rubies produced. These stones are hard to spot but you could find some 1.5 Ct stone in your budget, up to 3 Ct if you accept non eye-clean stones.

So first ask yourself THE important question, then look around.

HazranRahimi

Rough_Rock
For me, emerald is more attractive and nicer but for durability, its better to get ruby
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results