shape
carat
color
clarity

Royston turquoise pendant, off the bench today

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you all aren't tired of my project threads, but I just gotta share with you, my fellow jewelry lovers!
Other than DH, nobody in my tiny circle really cares about jewelry ....

I had the day off from work, so I got busy on this pendant. Royston turquoise purchased at the recent gem show.
IMG_20220425_120157496_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220425_142543321.jpg

He's really no help at all. He just jumps on the bench and demands attention. As you can see he has his back foot on my work.
IMG_20220425_145635868.jpg

IMG_20220425_165159934~2.jpg

IMG_20220425_171630750_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220425_174726537.jpg

IMG_20220425_175103162.jpg

Last edited:

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! You are so talented!

I think this is my favorite piece of yours yet! Another immaculately crafted work of art. Extra points for including your gray floofy friend!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is my favorite piece of yours yet! Another immaculately crafted work of art. Extra points for including your gray floofy friend!!

Thanks, I like it too. Miso had to get on the table and tiptoe around, in between all my tools. Then he just sat right in the middle of everything. He nearly knocked over my liquid flux. I later spilled the pickle in my lap, so I can't blame him for everything!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

100% agree! I might sound like a broken record, but while I adore all of them, I love the craftswomanship of each one exponentially more than the last. I absolutely adore this.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I hasten to add that Miso looks a little put out by the whole endeavor, especially as he made sure to step on it. He surely showed it who's boss :lol-2:

He was annoyed because the human who feeds him was not paying proper tribute to his highness!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
100% agree! I might sound like a broken record, but while I adore all of them, I love the craftswomanship of each one exponentially more than the last. I absolutely adore this.

Thank you for the kind words!
Like everything, practice makes perfect!
This craftswoman is on a roll. I am currently enjoying turquoise very much, and exploring lots of Native jewelry styles.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This pendant is so, SO cool! You are one clever chicken! :kiss2:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
You're kidding, right?! Keep them coming :love:
I'd be the actual annoying lurker, 'whatcha makin now? ' I would try to jump up on the table and fail, pretend it was on purpose and try to look cool while secretly worrying about bruising. It wouldn't stop me, but still :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are so clever
im really annoying following the steps
Thank you for giving us a look see

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're kidding, right?! Keep them coming :love:
I'd be the actual annoying lurker, 'whatcha makin now? ' I would try to jump up on the table and fail, pretend it was on purpose and try to look cool while secretly worrying about bruising. It wouldn't stop me, but still :lol:

Haha, I guess that's his main objective, to check out what I'm doing .....
There are pokey tools on my table, so yeah, you might get hurt ....!

Well, there will be more, 'cause I still have a pretty piece of Kingman turquoise waiting to be set!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous result! The design is beautifully balanced and refined. Love this!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous result! The design is beautifully balanced and refined. Love this!

I'm glad you like it! (I know you have impeccable taste)
You and I both know, balance and composition are really important in all kinds of art!
I did modify the stone a bit, as it was kind of angular. I ground down some awkward edges on the stone and used the silver balls to balance out the look.

mayday

Shiny_Rock
Your self-confidence is on the rise in this beautiful addition to your turquoise suite! The design is so beautifully balanced with the shape and patterns on the turquoise. I agree with others that this is your best yet.

I'm curious in what modifying the stone revealed, in terms of interior color and texture. Could you see an oxidation rind at the surface, or any indications of how the cab was prepared? What does the unpolished interior look like? I have never seen turquoise rough in person and wonder about how these stones go from idea to completion!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your self-confidence is on the rise in this beautiful addition to your turquoise suite! The design is so beautifully balanced with the shape and patterns on the turquoise. I agree with others that this is your best yet.

I'm curious in what modifying the stone revealed, in terms of interior color and texture. Could you see an oxidation rind at the surface, or any indications of how the cab was prepared? What does the unpolished interior look like? I have never seen turquoise rough in person and wonder about how these stones go from idea to completion!

I purchased the stone in cab form to begin with. I did not cut the cab from rough.
I thought the stone shape was too angular, so I ground down the more pointed edges. I wanted a more graceful drop shape.
I just used a Dremel tool with a grinder attachment. There is no rind or change of color inside. The blue and brown were the same, inside and out. Then I had to re-polish the areas that I ground away.

Here is before and after. The color looks different because there were two different light sources, and cell phones just don't do a good job capturing true colors.

IMG_20220318_160306946_2~4.jpg
IMG_20220425_120157496_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results