shape
carat
color
clarity

Royalty and famous people with coronavirus.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In UK, both our PM and Secretary for Health have both been tested positive.

DK :confused2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, did not see your post.
Matt Hancock has been tested positive too.

DK :confused2:

I heard about Boris Johnson on our morning news. I didn't know about Matt Hancock (or know his name) until you posted here. Thank you for the information. It is not good news, but I am trying to stay informed.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both have mild symptom, so far, let’s hope it stays that way. Doesn’t help when the news paper headlines are that the PM has ‘killer’ virus.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prince Charles is out of isolation and feeing fine now.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Geek rocker Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne has died.

Ugh we just listened to Stacy’s Mom and That Thing You Do for our Celebrity Tribute (we listen or watch movies when a celebrity we love passes away). I have a feeling that Adam Schlesinger will be one of many talented people taken from us.

hedgehog93

Rough_Rock
I think the reason it is working better in Australia is that we are doing a better job of attempting to track down every single person with it. The gist of it seems to be the earlier you give people the medication the better it works, the later you give it to them particularly if they have severe symptoms or other underlying health issues that the disease has impacted already, the less effective it is.

We have been testing a lot of the population, far more % wise than the US, I'd guess your friend is probably working with the fact that by the time patients are presenting with it, it could be too late for the medication to work properly here they are diagnosing people that have been in contact with others with it before they show symptoms and at the beginning of showing symptoms.

I’m not sure how much I trust these figures coming out. My SO was showing most of the symptoms except fever (although he was near it at 37.3) and didn’t qualify for testing as he didn’t have a fever. He told them that two people from his office were tested positive and infectious while he was 3m away. Still turned away.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure how much I trust these figures coming out. My SO was showing most of the symptoms except fever (although he was near it at 37.3) and didn’t qualify for testing as he didn’t have a fever. He told them that two people from his office were tested positive and infectious while he was 3m away. Still turned away.

Horrible, the numbers so so much higher than what's being reported because of this.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is just crazy if he can prove two people he has been in contact with now have it he should be tested, however they do use a fever as one of the major indicators before testing....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@hedgehog93 how are you guys doing? Thinking of you and hoping your SO is doing better.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
There is something very distressing about Boris's situation. He seemed to have a mild bout at first

Really hope he makes it through.

From what I’ve read, everyone starts off with mild symptoms. No one takes it seriously at first, they seem to think it’s just a cold. That’s why they go out and about doing their daily business :(

Corona meme.jpeg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And now we hear that we've lost John Prine - like Ellis Marsalis, a true American legend.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
From what I’ve read, everyone starts off with mild symptoms. No one takes it seriously at first, they seem to think it’s just a cold. That’s why they go out and about doing their daily business :(

Corona meme.jpeg

That's not the issue, the virus itself isn't what causes you to become really unwell, it's the immune response, 'the cytokine storm' that happens around day 10 where your immune system damages your lungs, rather than it being the virus taking over from lack of rest.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, So sad about John Prine. :cry:

I am in shock about John Prine, and saddened. I’ve been listening to him every day for the past six weeks learning his guitar accompaniments. I thought he was much older, perhaps in his mid-80s. He had a lot of health problems and did not look well.

hedgehog93

Rough_Rock
@hedgehog93 how are you guys doing? Thinking of you and hoping your SO is doing better.

Thank you, kind of you to ask. We are doing well now, it was some very weird bug and the only real symptom was headache and fatigue. Mentally - if this keeps dragging on for another few months I think I’m going to go insane. I’d rather get coronavirus than not leave the house for 6 months straight! I’ve just marked 1 month at home... literally at home, no exercise, no grocery runs, nothing.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, kind of you to ask. We are doing well now, it was some very weird bug and the only real symptom was headache and fatigue. Mentally - if this keeps dragging on for another few months I think I’m going to go insane. I’d rather get coronavirus than not leave the house for 6 months straight! I’ve just marked 1 month at home... literally at home, no exercise, no grocery runs, nothing.

I am glad you are well. Hang in there @hedgehog93 you are doing great. Can you exercise at home? Exercise cycle on Amazon is relatively inexpensive and some free weights can make a big difference. Or exercise videos work too and you don't need any fancy equipment.

If you do go out make sure your mask fits well and stay at least 6 feet from people. I get the need to go outside occasionally and as long as you are smart about it it's relatively safe.

Good for you not having to go to the supermarkets. That is more dangerous I think than just walking outside for exercise. So yay for that. It's been hard here getting deliveries so for the most part we do have to go out for food shopping.

Hang in there! You are doing so well!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in shock about John Prine, and saddened. I’ve been listening to him every day for the past six weeks learning his guitar accompaniments. I thought he was much older, perhaps in his mid-80s. He had a lot of health problems and did not look well.

So sad :(
He was just 73.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy - Rita Wilson & Gale King Interview, proof positive she and Tom Hanks did get Chloroquine early. But, even she says it had side effects and is not sure that it actually worked, I suppose you could argue they both recovered so there is a grey area if the drug actually helped or not;

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy - Rita Wilson & Gale King Interview, proof positive she and Tom Hanks did get Chloroquine early. But, even she says it had side effects and is not sure that it actually worked, I suppose you could argue they both recovered so there is a grey area if the drug actually helped or not;

All I can say with certainty is the rich and famous get special treatment. So yeah he and his wife were fortunate because they got tested early and they got very early treatment before it might have become severe. That does not surprise me at all. A regular Joe Schmo might not have gotten such "royal" treatment. Even in your country. Not when resources are limited.

I posted additional info in the potential treatment thread and keep adding to that thread as I find more info.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say with certainty is the rich and famous get special treatment. So yeah he and his wife were fortunate because they got tested early and they got very early treatment before it might have become severe. A regular Joe Schmo might not have gotten such "royal" treatment. Even in your country. Not when resources are limited.

I posted additional info in the potential treatment thread and keep adding to that thread as I find more info.

I think it depends where the rich and famous live. In the US yes that is true, but here, everyone that tests Positive to Covid 19 in the city I live in, and on the Gold Coast which is about an hour and 10 mins away (where Tom and Rita were in hospital) can tick a box on a form and get "the meds". We have to agree to have bloodwork taken and be part of the research. I think they are also now doing this in several hospitals across Australia to try and gather data.

So I disagree, we are lucky here even a regular "Joe Schmo" can ask for the drugs if they want them. We are also incredibly lucky to have a government that has understood what this virus does and aimed to protect ALL of it's citizens and reduce the death toll as much as possible.

As of yesterday the total number of infections was at 6,400 and the death toll 61. I think you will agree overall that is not too bad for a population of nearly 25 million people.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends where the rich and famous live. In the US yes that is true, but here, everyone that tests Positive to Covid 19 in the city I live in, and on the Gold Coast which is about an hour and 10 mins away (where Tom and Rita were in hospital) can tick a box on a form and get "the meds". We have to agree to have bloodwork taken and be part of the research. I think they are also now doing this in several hospitals across Australia to try and gather data.

So I disagree, we are lucky here even a regular "Joe Schmo" can ask for the drugs if they want them. We are also incredibly lucky to have a government that has understood what this virus does and aimed to protect ALL of it's citizens and reduce the death toll as much as possible.

As of yesterday the total number of infections was at 6,400 and the death toll 61. I think you will agree overall that is not too bad for a population of nearly 25 million people.

That is excellent. I also think is not comparing apples to apples as the number of people here is much greater than where you live. I think we have over 10 times the number of people here. Our borders are harder to control. Add the fact we have you know who as president, well, it's a recipe for disaster.

This is an interesting read.

"Dr. Heguy said that the volume of flights from Europe is “probably the most likely explanation” for why New York City became the pandemic’s epicenter, adding that the virus might have been spreading in the U.S. from late January. “It’s very possible that there was already community transmission going on six to eight weeks” before recorded index cases, she said."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy - yes I agree we have a smaller less densely populated population except for cities like Sydney and Melbourne.... but overall if you compare those statistics to one of your states that has around 6000 people infected the death rates are double to triple in those states compared to the death rates overall here.

I don't believe that it is simply a matter of high density = COVID disaster, because places like India, Singapore and others that imposed much tighter regulations that have much denser populations than the US are doing far far better.

I do agree you have boarders that are much more difficult to control. We are a large Island so from that POV it's easier to stop and restrict international travel. But I dispute that per % population there was any more or less people coming here from other places with the virus.

The difference is, we tracked and traced EVERY single case we could, there are task forces in every single state that still are doing that every single day. We monitor every new case and where they have been and who they have been in contact with.

Earlier detection = earlier treatment = better outcomes for those infected. Better tracking and tracing of what is geographically still a large country to manage = being able to isolate and quarantine as many people that are not only infected but could be potentially infected, which means limiting and slowing the spread of the virus as much as possible.

We are in front of the infection not behind the infection.

As soon as we worked out that cases were turning up here from Europe (we have a lot of European and UK backpackers for example that come here, Gary just posted on the other thread that % wise we have more than anywhere else in the world) we stopped allowing all of those flights into here as well.

We restricted anyone that was not an Australian citizen that wanted to come back home from entering the country, they had tough quarantine measures that at first were not followed ie people were not self isolating, we then used the police and military and hotels and various designated places to ensure strict quarantine was followed.

People in those hotels were complaining long and loud about human rights etc they were in the media via Skype and Internet interviews slamming the government at the time, but what it did was, it greatly prevented the spread of the disease.

If we compare the US to other places, not just Australia, but India and Singapore and so on, I believe the failure has FAR more to do with both Trumps administration and the way some of your States and cities, like New York acted, which was far too slowly. They dropped the ball, they didn't track and trace enough cases and did not take this virus seriously enough in the beginning to quarantine anyone who might enter from those places potentially with it.

And when a number of cases showed up, again your quarantines or lockdowns were too slowly implemented and were not strict enough. Americans like their rights as much if not more than Aussies do (more at a guess) they don't like being told to stay at home or what to do by the government. It wasn't until large numbers of people started dying that some citizens in your society started taking this whole thing seriously. Even now some of your states still seem to favour preserving their economies ie not implementing strict enough lockdown rules - favouring keeping as many people employed as possible, over tougher lockdown rules and their implementation.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results