shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I think they always looked like nighties :mrgreen2:
I remember my older cousins going to the school fornal (prom) and mum saying their dresses were like nighties and they were 7 or 8 years older than me so very early 80s,
my fornal dress had a ra ra skirt - and was made of this fabric called crushed ice
lucky because that was the time it was fashionable for it to look like the hem of your dress was tucked into your knickers, but it was a colourful time
my sister 5 years latter was all black and nobody had worn black in 1988

It must have been getting into the 90s when Diana had the nightie dress
she just always looked so glamouress
Unfortnatly i never really had the figer for them
Plus i wear PJs :mrgreen2:

Edit - i think its the lace on her neckline that makes it look even more like a nightie. I remember mum having nighties like that

Oh Daisy I love it. You have taken me on a walk down memory lane. Ra ra skirts were out of fashion by the time my school formal rolled around, however they were not ancient history. I remember having a few of them. I also remember the pumpkin skirts. My formal dress was made of red velvet, closely fitted and had big puffed sleeves. It was very Alexis from ‘Dynasty’. I think I still have it in storage in the wardrobe downstairs.
I wonder if the 80’s is partially responsible for my love of bling? It was a time of lots of diamonte decoration on clothes and fake super blingy necklaces. I remember wearing one to another formal occasion. I wore a strapless, ruched taffeta dress to that occasion and my super sparkly necklace and dangly earrings. Ah the joys of being young and having few responsibilities. Thanks for putting a smile on my face tonight =)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Daisy I love it. You have taken me on a walk down memory lane. Ra ra skirts were out of fashion by the time my school formal rolled around, however they were not ancient history. I remember having a few of them. I also remember the pumpkin skirts. My formal dress was made of red velvet, closely fitted and had big puffed sleeves. It was very Alexis from ‘Dynasty’. I think I still have it in storage in the wardrobe downstairs.
I wonder if the 80’s is partially responsible for my love of bling? It was a time of lots of diamonte decoration on clothes and fake super blingy necklaces. I remember wearing one to another formal occasion. I wore a strapless, ruched taffeta dress to that occasion and my super sparkly necklace and dangly earrings. Ah the joys of being young and having few responsibilities. Thanks for putting a smile on my face tonight =)2

The 80s were sooooo much fun :appl:

some days when i wake up i have pillow hair worthy of the 80s and i think why ? ! Why now ? Why not 35 years ago !

It only feels like a few years ago

i got quite defense when someone called 80s jewlery vintage around here once !

The thing with the 80's is almost everyone looked good -there was something for everyone
I miss the shoulder pads and power dressing
Jewelry waa certainty not minimalistic that's for sure !
There was such really great fun costume jewlery
People had fun with clothes
no one wore stupid grey !

That is so cool you might still have that dress
i heard of an 80s bar in Wellington a few years ago now and rang mum to send me my formal dress ( it was emerald green)
I was so mad to find out she had got rid of it considering all the other crappy things she held onto

I always wanted a 'crunchie wrapper dress' (highly sequened) but my friends said they were trashy

Yelena

Shiny_Rock

some days when i wake up i have pillow hair worthy of the 80s and i think why ? ! Why now ? Why not 35 years ago !

The thing with the 80's is almost everyone looked good -there was something for everyone

i heard of an 80s bar in Wellington a few years ago now and rang mum to send me my formal dress ( it was emerald green)
I was so mad to find out she had got rid of it considering all the other crappy things she held onto

I always wanted a 'crunchie wrapper dress' (highly sequened) but my friends said they were trashy

It certainly was fun. So many beautiful bright colours and I agree, there was something for everyone. Glo mesh bags and shirts even. Didn’t see too many shirts in real
life though. Ahhh reminiscing.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock

Mums do get rid of the strangest things. Sorry she got rid of your treasured piece.

Yelena

Shiny_Rock

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is a ra ra skirt?

I wish I hadn't gotten married too early (1977) to miss the 1980's wedding gowns, though. I would have loved an overblown taffeta. ;))

Last edited:

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
What is a ra ra skirt?

I wish I hadn't gotten married too early (1977) to miss the 1980's wedding gowns, though. I would have loved an overblown taffeta. ;))
1596600284225.jpeg

Here is an example. Ra ra skirts have tiered layers of fabric like in the picture.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is a ra ra skirt?

Very similar to my dress but i had a round neck and caped sleves mum insisted on because its cold in July
I completely forgot about the bow
i also had a matching bow in my French braid
I think my dress had 3 layers of ra ra on a drop waste
I had white court shoes with a 2inch stiletto and a white clutch
About 6 other girls had the same dress and 4 or 5 had the same colour and fabric
half the girls had this crushed ice material
Screenshot_20200805-213131.png

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Very similar to my dress but i had a round neck and caped sleves mum insisted on because its cold in July
I completely forgot about the bow
i also had a matching bow in my French braid
I think my dress had 3 layers of ra ra on a drop waste
I had white court shoes with a 2inch stiletto and a white clutch
About 6 other girls had the same dress and 4 or 5 had the same colour and fabric
half the girls had this crushed ice material
Screenshot_20200805-213131.png
Oh yes! The perfect 80’s style. Drop waists and bows and white stilettos.
1596707546740.jpeg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Visiting soldiers from the Royal Logistic Corps in Northern Ireland

visited soldiers from the Royal Logistic Corps in Northern Ireland.jpg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
in Calvi

in Calvi.jpg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
2020 Solliden Awards

presented 2020 Solliden Awards.jpg queen-silvia-in-Issey-miyake-cardigan-3.jpg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Meeting with Governor of Kumamoto Prefecture

Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako met with Governor of Kumamoto Prefecture.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
très chic...

She is another hard working no nonsense member of the royal family that I like!

It is not mentioned in the article, however, I believe her husband was the second son of a nobleman, the 12th Earl of Airlie.

She has a floral tiara that is her personal property, that can take interchangeable centres for the larger flowers, in turquoise, pearls and sapphires.

DK :))

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
She is another hard working no nonsense member of the royal family that I like!

It is not mentioned in the article, however, I believe her husband was the second son of a nobleman, the 12th Earl of Airlie.

She has a floral tiara that is her personal property, that can take interchangeable centres for the larger flowers, in turquoise, pearls and sapphires.

DK :))

I am going to do more digging...;-)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
très chic...

Oh that was wonderful to see
I love to see the spotlight on the Queen's cousins
Despite being the 2nd child of the 4th son of a king she was put to work for the royal family at a time there just wasn't enough princess to go around

its a shame she did not inherit family tiaras as the present duke and dutchess of Kent have sold off so many jewles over the years and her mother didn't leave her any

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
More :love: of Lady Ogilvy!

July 1974

Junly 1974.jpg

2010 in Toronto

2010 in Toronto.png

2017 visit to Shropshire

2017 visit to Shropshirew.jpg

Recent visit to St Christopher’s Hospice in Sydenham

Visit to St Christopher’s Hospice in Sydenham.jpg

Don't know the date of this one but...wow!

78e407d1dd6be113bc924a2fec649847.jpg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Since I miss seeing Max. lately, I decided to post some old photos!

Dutch Sapphire Crown

Dutch-Sapphire-Crown.jpg f64c8eb77492249209a187f26decb5ec.jpg tumblr_ba28824e81e6f8fe12864025f6d73b57.jpg tumblr_ba28824e81e6f8fe12864025f6d73b57_edf61fd3_500.jpg

Queen Wilhelmina's sapphire bow stomacher

Queen Wilhelmina's sapphire bow stomacher.jpg Queen Wilhelmina's sapphire bow.jpg

Princess Emma of Waldeck sapphire or citrine brooch

Princess Emma of Waldeck sapphire or citrine brooch .jpg Princess Emma of Waldeck sapphire or citrine brooch.jpg Princess Emma of Waldeck.jpg

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Since I miss seeing Max. lately, I decided to post some old photos!

Dutch Sapphire Crown

Dutch-Sapphire-Crown.jpg f64c8eb77492249209a187f26decb5ec.jpg tumblr_ba28824e81e6f8fe12864025f6d73b57.jpg tumblr_ba28824e81e6f8fe12864025f6d73b57_edf61fd3_500.jpg

Queen Wilhelmina's sapphire bow stomacher

Queen Wilhelmina's sapphire bow stomacher.jpg Queen Wilhelmina's sapphire bow.jpg

Princess Emma of Waldeck sapphire or citrine brooch

Princess Emma of Waldeck sapphire or citrine brooch .jpg Princess Emma of Waldeck sapphire or citrine brooch.jpg Princess Emma of Waldeck.jpg

Thank you. =)2 I love blue sapphires paired with diamonds.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results