shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Happy birthday Ma'am!

27425394-8240241-The_Instagram_story_explained_the_Queen_got_her_name_Elizabeth_A-a-5_15874625...jpg

[...]

Turns out I'm Queen Mary reincarnated! Barely holding other people's babies and looking out for help, while giving only a slight smile, as I know babies are supposed to be a good thing and can't harm me... Not to forget a penchant for jewellery.

PS: Happy belated b'day, Ma'am!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I did some digging and found this link to the Swedish Jewel Documentary.

https://www.svtplay.se/video/262558...ungliga-smycken-sasong-1-avsnitt-1?start=auto

WATCH IT!!!!

I just went down the rabbit hole while eating lunch (incidentally, it has been really nice teaching at home because I can go to the bathroom when I want and eat my lunch normally instead of skipping it all together or scarfing my food). It is sooooooo drool-worthy! Do NOT let the fact that it is in Swedish deter you. Trust me…you won’t care!

Now, a couple of Swedish words that I picked up on…

Kunglig….royal

Bröllop…wedding

Drottning…Queen

Smycken…jewelry

A few thoughts…

I am amazed at how flexible the Braganza is. I knew the Leuchtenberg Sapphire could be tiara or crown (more on that later) but the Braganza is more bendy than I thought. I did find it amusing that Queen Silvia just took it out of its case like it was no big deal, but all the assistants were handling everything with gloves!

They also showed the Leuchtenberg in its case. I knew the case was flat, but there is a huge difference seeing a still picture of it and seeing a video where someone is taking it out of the flat case showing how bendy it is! Queen Silvia literally bent it into a full crown, then back to a tiara shape. They also showed the necklace and earrings, and you can clearly see the hooks on the earrings that come back around the ear and hook on top to help with the weight of the earrings.

There was a section in English about the history of Queen Josephine of Sweden and her mother Augusta of Bavaria and their connection to the Leuchtenberg Sapphires.

Tiara hair made an appearance! Again, so what if it is in Swedish…watch the guy! There is a lot of backcombing and hair spray before the tiara goes on the head. He wraps hair around the ends of the tiara and pins the hair to hold the tiara in place. The back hair is not styled until the tiara is secure.

Nice section on the Cameo tiara. Lots of great shots of Crown Princess Victoria beaming at her wedding. She was so happy that day! They mentioned her mother’s wedding as well, both wearing the Cameo tiara.

They showed the Cameo tiara in its case…it is stored backwards in the case. There is also an odd upcurve at the ends of the Cameo tiara that I never noticed before. I’m pretty sure they were discussing the mythology that is represented in the cameos…thought I heard Eros, Aphrodite, and Dionysus.

Small part with Crown Princess Victoria and the Six Button. It is much more rigid. She was just casually handling it.

I think around 40 minutes they asked Queen Silvia what her favorite is (I heard “Drottning” and a word that sounded like favorite). They cut to the Leuchtenberg Sapphires, so I’m guessing that is at least one of her favorites.

I inferred the next topic was about sitting for portraits. They showed a portrait of Queen Silvia with the name of a photographer in the corner. Then that person was talking. Queen Silvia was gesturing with her shoulders that looked like how she was demonstrating posture for portraits.

History of the Braganza was towards the end. It was easy to pick up on Brazil on Portugal.

Queen Silvia took us on a tour of a dining room that had the place settings all laid out.

The last tiara they featured was the Cut Steel. It was really hard to get out of its case! It did not look as sparkly as when we’ve seen it worn. They showed the back of it which was cool. Then they cut to a Nobel Prize Dinner (Nobeldagan) where Crown Princess Victoria wore it. It sparkled then! Towards the end they put it back in its case, and I was nervous watching as they forced it in!

That was only Part 1…I’m going to try and watch Part 2 in the next couple of days…

That's a great summary of the episode and you got the things correct. The same things amazed me about the Brazilian tiara and the sapphires - how flexible they are and how HM just opens the boxes like they are a jar she keeps at the palace kitchen :D

A few additional tidbits - as we know, the sapphires in the Leuchtenberg tiara could e replaced by pearls These are still with the family, but used in other jewellery, like earrings and pendants. Although the sapphires are permanently affixed to the tiara, the brooch fittings remain and can be seen at the back of the clusters.
The Brazilian tiara and the other items from the set belonged to Dom Pedro I's first wife and were inherited by their children. He bought them from them and presented the remodeled diamond jewels to his second wife, Amalia of Leuchtenberg.
The cameos did indeed belong to Empress Josephine. They were inherited by her son the duke of Leuchtenberg and passed down to his descendants.
The cut steel jewels come from Queen Hortense of Holland, who left them to her niece Princess Eugenie of Hohenzollern-Hechingen (nee Leuchtenberg).

You can see the second episode here - https://www.svtplay.se/video/263278...emUZ3-SCXw0dsYeZV1ZyckO8XjFYR7EBrc7PWdRBflZy4

We learn new things about the emerald set, the pink topazes and the Six button tiara, aka the Karl Johan tiara. Other highlights include the Vasa earrings and the Connaught tiara's history, narrated by the charming Princess Christina.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
It's a slow day at work today, so I've got some time to remind us of the beautiful craftsmanship of Nitot. This emerald and diamond tiara comes from the Leuchtenberg family, descendants of Empress Josephine of the French and Emperor Nicholas I of Russia. The tiara, featuring an unusual hexagonal emerald, breaks down to for 7 jewels, or can be worn as a large corsage ornament.

The tiara was sold at Christie's NY in 2014 and fetched $100.000. It's currently in the Chaumet collection.

chaumet_transformable_tiara.tif__1536x0_q75_crop-scale_subsampling-2_upscale-false.jpg
1587994816337.png

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning! I especially love the b&w photo. If you ignore the laptop, you could be a noble lady posing to Cecil Beaton in the 1950s. So regal!

Aww..thanks Prince! I already have an idea for my next one later this week! :lol:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Old school glam...

State visit in Washington, DC 1976
state visit in Washington, DC 1976.jpg

State visit to Austria 1969

state visit to Austria 1969.jpg

Queen Mum to her 80th birthday celebrations in 1980

to her 80th birthday celebrations in 1980.jpg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Queen Anne-Marie Of Greece pictured wearing the Ruby Olive Wreath tiara at the 60th birthday celebration of King Carl Gustaf Of Sweden in 2006

Queen Anne-Marie Of Greece pictured wearing the Ruby Olive Wreath tiara at the 60th birthday c...jpg

Wearing the Greek Emerald Parure tiara

Greek Emerald Parure tiara.jpg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
How would you wear the Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara? I like it without any dangling gems... :lol:

With pearls

p0nZNvUDl9Ux.jpg

Without pearls

The Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara without the pearls.jpg

With emeralds

00585D3200000258-3269372-image-a-29_1445434809712.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
How would you wear the Grand Duchess Vladimir Tiara? I like it without any dangling gems... :lol:

With pearls

p0nZNvUDl9Ux.jpg

Without pearls

With emeralds

last time she came here she wore it widdowed with no gems
it still looked very regal

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

With pearls

p0nZNvUDl9Ux.jpg

Without pearls

With emeralds

I would add a set of sapphires and a set of amethysts to swap out!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

With pearls

p0nZNvUDl9Ux.jpg

Without pearls

With emeralds

Pearl version for me, please. The emeralds are too big for the circles and the widowed version is just too...empty. Diamond drops, like in the Fife tiara, would be a good option, too.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Queen Anne-Marie Of Greece pictured wearing the Ruby Olive Wreath tiara at the 60th birthday celebration of King Carl Gustaf Of Sweden in 2006

Queen Anne-Marie Of Greece pictured wearing the Ruby Olive Wreath tiara at the 60th birthday c...jpg

Wearing the Greek Emerald Parure tiara

Greek Emerald Parure tiara.jpg

Queen Anne Marie is stunning in these photos. They were taken 10 apart from one another - at the 60th and 50th birthdays of her cousin.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
This week's Installment of #TiaraTeaching!! I defy rules that say tiaras and evening gowns can't be worn at 9 in the morning!!
Queen adn Estate.jpg

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
We had some more fun during my lunch break!! :lol::lol::lol:
.. Queen 6.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BF says this a great photo and I can't help but agree with him! Nice lawn, too!
On a related note, the new necklace is a show stopper and looks like a scroll tiara off the frame

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Happy birthday to King Willem Alexander...I spied some sort of tutti frutti bracelet? and red color gem on Queen Max's right hand.

The Queen has a wide Tutti Fruti bracelet and matching necklace bought at auction, but that's not the one. This is a trio that Maxima likes wearing stacked together, but sometimes wears individually or with diamond bracelets. Each bracelet is set with a line of emeralds, rubies or sapphires interspersed by diamonds. They are like a mini version of Queen Elizabeth's Quintet by Cartier.
Here's a slightly better photo from Monday:
FB_IMG_1588370381706.jpg

And speaking of Maxima's bracelets, I can't miss one of her favourites - the AAAMW and hearts in diamonds, the Art Deco diamond bracelet (first worn on that special 02/02/02) and the 8 row seed pearl bracelet with diamond spacers and ruby and diamond clasp: jakarta-indonesia-12th-feb-2018-queen-maxima-of-the-netherlands-visits-M3YM1M~2.jpg

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
The Queen has a wide Tutti Fruti bracelet and matching necklace bought at auction, but that's not the one. This is a trio that Maxima likes wearing stacked together, but sometimes wears individually or with diamond bracelets. Each bracelet is set with a line of emeralds, rubies or sapphires interspersed by diamonds. They are like a mini version of Queen Elizabeth's Quintet by Cartier.
Here's a slightly better photo from Monday:
FB_IMG_1588370381706.jpg

And speaking of Maxima's bracelets, I can't miss one of her favourites - the AAAMW and hearts in diamonds, the Art Deco diamond bracelet (first worn on that special 02/02/02) and the 8 row seed pearl bracelet with diamond spacers and ruby and diamond clasp: jakarta-indonesia-12th-feb-2018-queen-maxima-of-the-netherlands-visits-M3YM1M~2.jpg

Thanks and you showed us a better photo...LOVE all the bracelets!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Love the design of the The Romanian Greek Key Tiara...

King Carl XVI Gustaf's 70th birthday celebrations
351dc4b0a262930c56c02655990ae48c.jpg

On Queen Helen
On Queen Helen.jpg

It's a lovely piece and my favourite in the Greek key category, but Margareta is yet to wear it in a way that does justice to the tiara. Her grandmother Helena wore it in a much more regal way, imo.
61563952_136355723954.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results