shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Asscher Cost Premium

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ithinkthisistheone

Rough_Rock
I have dug up virtually every thread on here related to the ongoing Royal vs Regular Asscher debate. I have seen the specs, the opinions and have the seen the stones in person. Without a doubt the Royal Asscher is amazing.

With that being said, prices for RAs are virtually impossible to find online and so I have very little basis to determine the ''normal'' RA premium (vs non-royal).

I know there are several people who have purchased royals on here. Can someone please share the premiums they encountered.

Thanks

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Iv been waiting for someone to comment who bought one recently but since they didnt ill tell you what I know.

In general the price difference is around %30-%40 more for the ra.

ithinkthisistheone

Rough_Rock
OK... I have uncovered new fuel for my dead topic.

After browsing a few threads, stumbling on a stone, firing off a few PMs of confirmation etc....

I found what at least one informed reader has told me is a Royal Asscher on the GOG site. This is absolutly the very first RA I have found outside a B&M with a listed price. I have no idea of what a diamond should cost. I have been wondering for months what the premium was on a RA vs a regular Asscher.... in this highly unscientific comparision, I searched the WF database for a "I" color VS1 stone with as close to 1.74 weight as possible. Turns out that the best I could get was a 1.91.

Sooooo..... is this 1 case comparision we have found that a bigger stone with roughly same qualities costs a whooping $5,500.00 less. The RA has a 60% premium..... are these stones worth it? From what I have seen... they are amazing... but.... does the girl take the RA cut or a MUCH bigger stone for the same money?

Exhibit A:

Carat Weight: 1.74
Clarity: VS1
Color: I
Shape: Square Emerald brilliant
Cut External

* Polish: GIA ~ Very Good
* Symmetry: GIA ~ Good

Cut Internal

* Symmetry ~ Good
* Light Return ~ Excellent

GIA #: 14792576
Price ~ $ 14,329.
pic1.jpg

Exhibit B:

Carat Weight: 1.91
Depth: 70.1
Table: 67
Girdle: M
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 6.85-6.56X4.60
Length/Width: 1.04

EGL#
Price ~ $8,887.00
sh_asscher_smp.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exhibit A is gorgeous, not loving exhibit B. I''m off to the GOG site to see what else you should consider, be back in a sec....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot smaller but GOG has a gorgeous 1.31 G VVS2 for $8,781, did you see that one??

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
thats not a fair comp. between a & b

gia vs egl
virtual vs instock, documented and tested.
the actual premium is smaller comparing apples to apples.

ithinkthisistheone

Rough_Rock
Its less of a A vs B kind of debate...

more of a if you had $14k to spend, would you take a RA (such as one list above) or something like:

WF 2.0 H VS1

ps.... I think the sample images from WF stink... they need a prettier picture

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not loving that pic, that''s for sure.

ithinkthisistheone

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 9:27:14 PM
Author: strmrdr
thats not a fair comp. between a & b

gia vs egl

virtual vs instock, documented and tested.

the actual premium is smaller comparing apples to apples.

i never claimed it was a perfect comp... i prob should have choosen the second stone with less haste...

I have forgotten about the bad rep EGL seems to have.

Is the second stone a more worthy comp? Main dif is 1/3 carat and one color level (minus RA cut)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 9:27:32 PM
Author: ithinkthisistheone

more of a if you had $14k to spend, would you take a RA (such as one list above) or something like:

WF 2.0 H VS1

with the info avaiable so far the R.A. the other could be a total dog.

ithinkthisistheone

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 9:31:05 PM
Author: strmrdr

WF 2.0 H VS1

with the info avaiable so far the R.A. the other could be a total dog.

your position is based mostly on a informational stance..(ie we have more info on the gog stone).. correct?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes and no.. there are a enough red flags on the 2.0 that I wouldnt bother calling it in.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 9:13:14 PM
OK... I have uncovered new fuel for my dead topic.

After browsing a few threads, stumbling on a stone, firing off a few PMs of confirmation etc....

I found what at least one informed reader has told me is a Royal Asscher on the GOG site. This is absolutly the very first RA I have found outside a B&M with a listed price. I have no idea of what a diamond should cost. I have been wondering for months what the premium was on a RA vs a regular Asscher.... in this highly unscientific comparision, I searched the WF database for a 'I' color VS1 stone with as close to 1.74 weight as possible. Turns out that the best I could get was a 1.91.

Sooooo..... is this 1 case comparision we have found that a bigger stone with roughly same qualities costs a whooping $5,500.00 less. The RA has a 60% premium..... are these stones worth it? From what I have seen... they are amazing... but.... does the girl take the RA cut or a MUCH bigger stone for the same money?

Exhibit A:

Carat Weight: 1.74
Cut External

* Polish: GIA ~ Very Good
* Symmetry: GIA ~ Good

Cut Internal

* Symmetry ~ Good
* Light Return ~ Excellent

GIA #: 14792576
Price ~ $ 14,329.
pic1.jpg
I don't think that's a RA. All the RA specs I have seen have at least VG for Polish/Symmetry but this one has a Good for symmetry. OTOH, it's quite expensive for a square cut emerald, so it might be something that just missed being an RA due to the symmetry grade. Just guessing, of course.

GOG's RA is this one.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_59ct_i_vs2_royal_asscher.htm

For RA prices, click the link and search for Asscher.
Royal Asscher

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock

WF 2.0 H VS1

Not trying to be stinky.
17.gif
When we post a sample image we select a conservative one so as not to misrepresent the diamond in question.

Determining whether an asscher is an RA: Royal Asschers are identified on the GIA grading report as 'cut cornered square step cut' rather than square emerald. Those we've dealt with have the RA crown symbol, 'Royal Asscher Cut' and the serial # laser inscribed on the girdle as well.

ithinkthisistheone

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/12/2005 11:52:46 PM
Author: Boom

I don''t think that''s a RA. All the RA specs I have seen have at least VG for Polish/Symmetry but this one has a Good for symmetry. OTOH, it''s quite expensive for a square cut emerald, so it might be something that just missed being an RA due to the symmetry grade. Just guessing, of course.

GOG''s RA is this one.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_59ct_i_vs2_royal_asscher.htm

For RA prices, click the link and search for Asscher.

Royal Asscher

Oooo I have not seen that one on there.... it must be new.

that dbof site is the only other site I have seen that lists prices for royals.... thank you for the link...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's no Royal Asscher on this page as far as I get it.

Both pictures looks a tad surreal. To me, both do a good job at showing the overall shape of the stones and nothing more. Would you expect more information from pictures?

There are a couple of Royal Asschers posted on this other forum by a seller who promotes them strongly. Their pictures are quite cute, but do not expect these to be more realistic - otherwise you would have to remake the lighting in your house to resemble the shop's photographic setup. This goes for every shop, IMO.

Having the proportions similar to the RA in a generic step cut diamond would go a long way towards the look, in my opinion. Especially below 3 cts ot so. Those are not too easy to find (depth under 70, table around 60, high crown and evenly sized 'steps' on both crown and pavilion make up the look - as far as I understand it).

There are non-branded stones cut with extra steps which also come with the 'cut corner square step cut' name on GIA reports. Perhaps some have proportions similar to the RA stones, but none that I ever came across. I have not seen any in person. Here's one such thing: Link

Bottom line, below 2 cts, between a non-branded square EC that comes close to the (carefully optimized) proportions of the RA and one that does not but has the extra facets, my vote would go for the first. The extra row of steps on the pavilion should make these look nicer than standard EC with similar stats... but, those are not in the running if you wanted the RA look.

So.. what if there was a true RA against those two? Well, I don't know how much more it would cost etc, but I like everything about the cut. It may help to line up a few options for real. If you have to decide, it would be more practical to do so between a very well cut no-name stone and a branded one.

Btw. add pictures do not play this all that fair - you may find some side by side thingies with RA and non, but ...

The example of 'other' is not the happiest thing I could imagine, although I have no reason to call it 'bad' (don't use that word). You could definitely find better if the premium of the brand is not palatable in the end.

This is about all that comes to mind. Hope some helps.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/13/2005 12:00:12 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Here is an outline that might be helpful, Ana.
Have you seen the GIA report here ?

I do not know where these are cut, but there seem to be plenty of them.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2005 12:05:58 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 12/13/2005 12:00:12 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Here is an outline that might be helpful, Ana.
Have you seen the GIA report here ?

I do not know where these are cut, but there seem to be plenty of them.
True. That's why the inscription is helpful: RA will always have their laser inscription denoted on the GIA report. Additionally, there is a separate certificate of authentication from the Asscher family that comes with any RA.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
I''ve read that if you are under 2cts go with a generic the RAs can tend to look too busy even under 3cts. I went through a brief NEED to have an RA phase, but honestly after a little research on PS I think I would be just as happy if not happier with a well cut generic because I can get a higher color/clarity and larger stone for less $$$. As someone researching/refining my criteria for an asscher ering that is my conclusion du jour. Best of luck and let us know what you decide!

ithinkthisistheone

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/13/2005 6:25:39 PM
Author: cymbrie
I've read that if you are under 2cts go with a generic the RAs can tend to look too busy even under 3cts. I went through a brief NEED to have an RA phase, but honestly after a little research on PS I think I would be just as happy if not happier with a well cut generic because I can get a higher color/clarity and larger stone for less $$$. As someone researching/refining my criteria for an asscher ering that is my conclusion du jour. Best of luck and let us know what you decide!

it depends... if you have always wanted an asscher... then that could be true... a lot of people begin looking at more brilliant stones and then discover they like asschers... RA gives a slightly less window pane look with more sparkle on the edges... its a happy medium if you like the asscher look but more light to be thrown around

ithinkthisistheone

Rough_Rock
whether it is worth the premium is anyone''s guess.....

the RA is one of the few ''branded'' stones that I do not see continuously scorn on this board

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2005 2:27:46 PM
whether it is worth the premium is anyone''s guess.....

the RA is one of the few ''branded'' stones that I do not see continuously scorn on this board

iv seen some in person and the larger ones were totaly awesome and id love to own one.
The smallers ones I was less impressed with compared to well cut S.E./asschers.
But if someone loves the look and extra cost is worth it to them then thats kewl :}

They arent photographing well under the lighting gog is using right now but im looking forward to some asset images once the bugs are worked out in taking them.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
I think it all boils down to personal preference. In the under 3cts catagory I personally like the Sq ECs, in the larger stones LOVE the RA. I think one value add to the RA is though you pay the premium the cut of the stone is more standardized you are guaranteed a certain level of quality, with Sq ECs you really have to do your homework and find a knowledgable expert to locate a truly spectacular stone. Again all depends on your personal preference.
2.gif
Do let us know what you find.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My trouble with RA''S is that I haven''t seen enough of them in person to make good comparisons. Only one store in downtown Philadelphia carries them, and there are only 3 of them in the store and maybe a total of 5 in the entire company. It''s difficult to choose a stone when you''ve seen so few of that particular cut.

lindaAZ

Rough_Rock
I''m new here and have been shopping for a square cut diamond. I am looking at the 1.59 royal asscher at goodoldgold. I am waiting for a regular asscher to come in before I decide between the RA, a lucere and the generic asscher. One aspect of buying a ring for me is that someday I will pass the ring on to my daughter. Because the RA is more rare, does it have a greater value in the future, sentimental or otherwise? Also, does anyone have an opinion about this RA?

Is acceptable to discuss the price I am being quoted from goodoldgold?

ithinkthisistheone

Rough_Rock
I have seen prices discussed on here on several occasions... I do not know what the ''norm'' is however.

As far as the value of RAs... I can tell you that the official distributor of them, Fabrikant, only has around 20 of them...

I have been so surprised at just how hard these stones are to find. I did finally manage to get about 5 of them in one place (it took months to find a store with the contacts to pull this off.... I took one to a B&M I often shop at to compare the RA with normal stones.... I had every clerks oooing and ahhing about how impressive the stone was.... their job is to try and convince me to buy there $20k stone and most were point blank telling me there was no comparision in the stones...

I was sold on the RA then.... Now to find the perfect RA :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results