shape
carat
color
clarity

Round triple ex question

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I’m back with another question. HCA tool keeps saying I’m out of free trials.

i was offered this stone today, my eye it actually looked really nice and only saw one feather on the side which a prong would cover. but I need some expert advice please. Price was 4450

4DC73C2B-BB3A-4EB1-BAC2-8BD3998AF9BE.png 7F3A8840-903A-4C74-8E2E-87C939D60E98.jpeg

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
I was also offered this for 100 less. 5FF69772-78A4-4A45-BB55-D2AF9A142FD0.png

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I would pass on both, the first one has a cavity and the second has a shallow crown and steep Pavillion.

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
I would pass on both, the first one has a cavity and the second has a shallow crown and steep Pavillion.

Thank you JP. I wasn’t sure about the cavity since it looked to be on the side and as for the shallow crown are you referring to the 14.9 ?

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you JP. I wasn’t sure about the cavity since it looked to be on the side and as for the shallow crown are you referring to the 14.9 ?

I'm referring to the crown angle of 33.5 ( you want to be in the ideal range of 34 - 35 )
And Pavillion Angle is too steep at 41.2 ( Ideal range between 40.6 - 40.8 )

Edit : This is for the second report posted

Last edited:

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
I'm referring to the crown angle of 33.5 ( you want to be in the ideal range of 34 - 35 )
And Pavillion Angle is too steep at 41.2 ( Ideal range between 40.6 - 40.8 )

I really appreciate that. I have looked at ideal ranges but what I haven’t found is if you can be outside of them, how much that might be

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I really appreciate that. I have looked at ideal ranges but what I haven’t found is if you can be outside of them, how much that might be

If you go outside of Ideal ranges that could result in light leakage and not a very good performer.
We recommend on PS for excellent cut first and keep in Ideal ranges for a well performing diamond.

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
If you go outside of Ideal ranges that could result in light leakage and not a very good performer.
We recommend on PS for excellent cut first and keep in Ideal ranges for a well performing diamond.

That’s good. I am in triple ex only now I’m trying to focus on those ranges. Do you also think it’s nest to stay away from si2 or is that debatable? I might even go a little smaller on the center stone since I will be going with a .66 halo and my gf finger is a 4.75. Any thoughts on that?

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
That’s good. I am in triple ex only now I’m trying to focus on those ranges. Do you also think it’s nest to stay away from si2 or is that debatable? I might even go a little smaller on the center stone since I will be going with a .66 halo and my gf finger is a 4.75. Any thoughts on that?

GIA Triple X unfortunately doesn't always mean a winner due to their broad range of grading.

Stay within these Ideal parameters

Depth: 61 - 62 preferably
( up to 62.4 is acceptable )

Crown Angle : 34 - 35
( Sometimes 35.5 will work with 40.6 Pavillion )

Pavillion Angle : 40.6 - 40.8

Table: 55 - 57 preferable
( up to 58 is acceptable if you like more white light vs colored flashes )

LGF's: Lower Girdle Facets
75 -80

Be careful with S12 clarity you really have to do your homework to find something eye clean. In some cases you will get hazy/milkiness which will diminish light performance.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I don’t use the HCA calculator, but I do use this cut estimator to ensure the stone falls into both GIA excellent and AGS standards.

For super ideal light return, you need to stick to these parameters as close a possible. I used those and the cut estimator to exclude stones or to review them further. I’m very happy with my diamond.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
HCA will give you a good result for both. Is it really to expensive to pay for it?

Gary, I have always been happy to pay for extras. It is a nominal fee and you should be compensated for your work. Diamonds are big ticket purchases and, IMO, it’s penny-wise and pound foolish not to put in as much due diligence as possible.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I don’t use the HCA calculator, but I do use this cut estimator to ensure the stone falls into both GIA excellent and AGS standards.

For super ideal light return, you need to stick to these parameters as close a possible. I used those and the cut estimator to exclude stones or to review them further. I’m very happy with my diamond.

The HCA is more comprehensive. Also, the Diamond Screener is definitely just a “screener” and clearly nothing wrong with it as a starting point but it is misleading to think a stone will be AGS “Ideal” or GIA Excellent based on just those 3 proportions as there are other parameters that will play into a final cut grade.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
In truth, if you are just slightly off of a proportion it isn’t going to be the end of the world and in all likelihood you are not going to be able to discern the difference. But definitely strive toward the suggested parameters as much as possible. There are good SI2’s out there, you just have to be very selective. Stay away from cavities, twinning wisps, excessive clouds for sure. A small feather is okay. Dark crystals in an SI2 will definitely be eye-visible. I’m not fond of knots.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to post this. I use this in combination with the cut estimator. 855C5FDC-7851-4A79-BD0A-C7CB268FFC0F.jpeg

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
Hi guys and gals thank you all for you feedback. I do have one more question, is triple excellent required in a round diamond or as long as the cut is excellent we can take VG if symmetry or polish?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Obviously Excellent for cut is an absolute. You want the best symmetry rating because you won’t want any of the many, many types of ways a stone can be “off”. Also, for reasons too long to get into, sometimes a VG (very good) can get bumped up to EX so you want the best rating. As for Polish, that’s the final, ultimate finish of the stone and it does make a difference. There are just so many triple EXs available why not get it. If you have to give up 1, let that be polish.

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
Obviously Excellent for cut is an absolute. You want the best symmetry rating because you won’t want any of the many, many types of ways a stone can be “off”. Also, for reasons too long to get into, sometimes a VG (very good) can get bumped up to EX so you want the best rating. As for Polish, that’s the final, ultimate finish of the stone and it does make a difference. There are just so many triple EXs available why not get it. If you have to give up 1, let that be polish.

Thank you so much and I agree there are so many. I just can’t seem to get the exact proper dimensions on anything I am being shown. I’m most cases the crown angle seems to be the one thing that always seems to be off

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered the online vendors recommended here? Much greater inventory.

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
Have you considered the online vendors recommended here? Much greater inventory.

I have looked at James Allen but it looks like they don’t list there GIAs and I have heard mixed reviews on blue Nile along with Whiteflash I heard might be a little overpriced, is that accurate? Did I miss any others?

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
I have looked at James Allen but it looks like they don’t list there GIAs and I have heard mixed reviews on blue Nile along with Whiteflash I heard might be a little overpriced, is that accurate? Did I miss any others?

Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds are Super Ideal Vendors. Yes they are more expensive but they are precisely cut and do all the work for you so you don't have to worry so much about proportions.

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
Whiteflash and High Performance Diamonds are Super Ideal Vendors. Yes they are more expensive but they are precisely cut and do all the work for you so you don't have to worry so much about proportions.

Thank you JP. I have heard of white flash

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Regarding JamesAllen not listing GIA reports etc, there are and were companies using their millions of videos and finding the same virtual diamonds and undercutting and other forms of cheating. JA stopped listing GIA's and the main culprit went broke leaving hundreds of people out of pocket.

Our CEO has been able to negotiate to get all the info from their backend and make HCA info available. This is a unique and powerful tool. You will notice that searching on Pricescope lists stones in HCA order.

As to higher end pricing and branded cuts, as JP has mentioned, there are niche companies listing on Pricescope that have diamonds cut to exceptional accuracy and standards. This is like buying a car or a watch. There are all levels of performance and prestige. Something for everyone.

Many of those on this board are also Cut Nuts, but for +90% of people this is too much, and for those that demand perfection it is hard to understand why other would not.

JA and Blue Nile et al have their own top brands which are almost always going to be the pick of their bunches. They may not be as good as the the very finest cut qualities. JA however give Hearts images and rather than the Arrows - they show my ideal-scope images which convey far more information on a very wide range of diamonds. We would like Blue Nile (and others) to also share more such information and have those conversations frequently.
Compared to when I launched HCA here in 2001 though, we are miles and miles ahead.
It is largely through our efforts on PS that any ideal-scope or ASET images are ever available!

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone and thank you for the feedback. I actually went to a referral of my cousin and I wanted to get your feedback. Price was 3750
9E4920D9-3872-4C90-9646-AD8976552510.png

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The main lowering grade is because of the thick girdle and wide range which affects the symmetry.
Overall likely to not have great luster because it has been roughly treated.

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
The main lowering grade is because of the thick girdle and wide range which affects the symmetry.
Overall likely to not have great luster because it has been roughly treated.

Gary, and that fact that it is medium blue Fluor. Does that make it a no?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gary, and that fact that it is medium blue Fluor. Does that make it a no?

I prefer fluoro diamonds so my prference is different to many. But I need to see the inclusion map and list of inclusion types to advise more.

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
I prefer fluoro diamonds so my prference is different to many. But I need to see the inclusion map and list of inclusion types to advise more.

there is no map because it’s a .91 but here is the “types”

E64CD7C1-6C7C-40ED-B486-95354EED6F02.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results