shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Solitaire Engagement Ring

swj

Rough_Rock
I am presently in the process of looking for a Platinum or White Gold Solitaire engagement ring with a stone in roughly the 0.75ct size.

I am presently looking at the following setting in Platinum:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire-rings/ring/item_57-2637_design.asp?module=setting

As far as the stone goes, I have been looking at (so far) 'VS2' clarity or better and 'I' color or better in Round stones only. One such diamond with the above characteristics in 0.76ct is:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1360552.asp

I have been looking at the above diamond for a day or so and even after having studied the stone intently in James Allen's 'Virtual Loupe', I cannot make out any visible inclusions, not even the one shown on the AGS report. I find the above stone enticing since the cut is reported as 'Ideal' as well.

I would like to know what thoughts any of you have on the above stone and whether I am (likely) obsessing over a higher clarity in VS2 versus trying to find a nicer color than an 'I'. Should I maybe be looking at say an 'SI1' stone with better coloring, say 'H' or better, as opposed to what I have shown you above? Many, if not all, of the VS2 clarity/I color (or better) stones that I have seen do not 'appear' to show many visible inclusions under magnification but I suppose that comes with VS2 vs. SI1, right? That said, I have surely not looked at as many stones as many of you and I feel like the naked eye would not even show many of these small inclusions found in the SI1 stones that I have been looking at, but as I said, my experience is very limited.

Lastly, my budget is approximately $3500. The platinum setting is $760 so that leaves approximately $2740 for the stone. I am presently right in the ballpark of that total with what I have listed above. I am certainly amenable to spending less than my budget, even with a slightly smaller stone

One last thing, I have only been considering Round stones so far and I would really like to stick to that. Thanks a million and I much appreciate any help you all can offer.

Thank you,

Shawn

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
I'd go with SI1 with eye clean and up the color to G or H. I remember few weeks ago a H VS2 H&A ideal cut round was $2700 and it was a .76 ct from jamesallen

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I would throw this one out at you to. It has a larger spread, and looks just as clean as the VS2, and it actually scores better on the HCA than the true hearts one you have selected. I would have JA verify it is eye clean, but it looks like it would be.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1372034.asp

HCA
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.6 - Excellent
within TIC range

I think an I in this size range will be just fine, there are a lot of ladies on this website whith larger stones that show color more that have I's that are happy, there is nothing wrong with a well cut I :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results