shape
carat
color
clarity

Round SI1 Advice

sfh8544

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I've been reading through articles on Pricescope the last couple weeks to help narrow my search and chose a diamond that provides a good overall value.

After looking at several diamonds in B&M stores, I've narrowed my search criteria to a ~1 ct round, eye clean SI1, I+ color, ideal cut. I have been considering the following diamond from WhiteFlash --> http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-43177.htm

I, however, have a few questions after the reading I've done - any and all help is appreciated:

1) The cert for the referenced diamond doesn't show any imperfections for a SI1 diamond. The cert states clouds have been omitted. Should I be worried about this - seems like something should be indicated here? WhiteFlash's website says the diamond is eye clean. Why aren't the imperfections shown on the cert? Seems like the cert is useless.

2) I've noticed many of the diamonds that come up in the search don't have any ideal scope, Sarin Data or H&A Images. Is this because the images show bad quality H&A that the retailer wants to keep hidden (e.g. distorted hearts and misaligned arrows)? I've noticed misaligned arrows, mis-shapen hearts, etc in some of the H&A diamonds in the search. This concerns me somewhat as it is like buying a diamond blind without any of these images or sarin data (e.g. all the B2CJewels postings only have a cert, no images).

3) When I look at the H&A Picture and the Idealscope of the WhiteFlash diamond linked above, I see what I understand as a very symmetric low light leaking diamond. I then look at H&A Picture and Idealscope images for diamonds of similar specs that cost $1000-$1500 more and see hearts and arrows that are mis-shapen, misaligned, etc. Does this misalingment make a huge difference in a H&A diamond? Seems to me If you are paying for the quality of H&A it is only worth it if it is a very symmetric hearts and arrows not one that is distorted. Am I missing something with the WhiteFlash diamond or is this a good value for a Cut Above diamond? It seems cheap compared to all the H&A diamonds with similar specs.

Example of a H&A with mis-shapen hearts: https://www.pricescope.com/diamond/f0e5b30942e02f32625a39e0c74f6161
I've seen much worse H&A images than this but can't seem to find them right now for some reason.

4) Is a H&A diamond really that much more brilliant than a regular Ideal diamond? Would I do better buying one of the B2CJewels diamonds that have no images or sarin data that are $1750 less (e.g. Cert 2146967714 for $4870)? I think those non-H&A diamonds scare me away because they don't have any images or sarin data.

5) Is it possible to negotiate internet prices a couple hundred dollars or are these final with pricescope + wire discounts?

Sorry if my questions aren't clear - I can elaborate more if required.

Regards.
SFH

diamond_concierge

Rough_Rock
Trade
I would take a closer look at the sites you have already mentioned. B2C has a diamond blueprint feature on many diamonds that gives a clear picture of what you are getting. Others have videos, idealscope images, and the like. Remember, you are buying a diamond, not a cert.
Diamond cutters and polishers are normally concerned with two things: size and beauty. A misaligned facet or an odd angle here and there does not necessarily mean that the diamond is not beautiful. It usually means a cutter was saving weight to maximize the size of the rough. Remember that diamonds are natural and from the earth.
You mentioned an SI-1 with a cloud. Clouds are often faint, and since the grade is SI-1, this indicates that the clarity characteristics will have only a slight impact on appearance. That is what the "SI" literally mean: "slightly included." Not heavily included. Slightly.

sfh8544

Rough_Rock
Appreciate the quick reply. I am glad you suggested viewing the retailer website instead of the attachments in the pricescope search -- I was totally unaware the existence of the diamond blueprint. I was scratching my head trying to figure out how people bought diamonds with a lack of information from B2C. Glad to find out I just overlooked it.

So does that mean that WhiteFlash SI1 diamond only has clouds since there are no other imperfections listed in the cert?

Best.
SFH

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. SI1 clouds that WF stamps with an ACA and says is eye-clean is fine. nothing to worry about.

2. time/money to take pictures.

3. the GOG stone is not H&A, it is labeled "Premium."

4. I prefer James Allen or IDJewelry if you want to venture outside of pre-selected, in-house inventory ideal cuts. Their picture taking ability for Ideal Scopes is better than B2C.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results