shape
carat
color
clarity

Round or step cut?

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
I started a thread on RT, but adviced by tyty, I'll turn to CS. I have a most beautiful setting and my dilemma is the shape of center stone. Round or step cut octagon...setting held 8.9mm Round stone before, but I wonder if step cut suits style better. All opinions are welcome.
Something like that (just more octagon shape), but in green colour to setting I have...

_5082.jpeg

_5083.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question 1: What is your budget?

Question 2: (tied to Q1) What type of CS are you thinking of using? Will it be occasional wear or more often than that?

Question 3: What depth can the setting accommodate? Step cuts in that style are usually extremely deep. It will still be deep in a round CS but an octagonal CS will be deeper. If octagonal, it will most likely have to be custom faceted, which ties in to Q1.

As a frame of reference, 9 mm in a round cut sapphire is approximately 4 carats.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eye it will look stunning with a round and my guess is that it is solely made for a round.

If you love green it could look beautiful with a tsavorite garnet like the one Gene Flannigan listed. A cutter might be able to cut a stone for your magnificent setting :love:

Might be worth it to send either the setting to the cutter or to give exact dimensions as colored stones are usually cut deeper to let the colour flourish.

_5086.jpeg

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono;

1. Max $800 without taxes (our VAT is 24% + custom fees)

2. Occasionally, more at summertime when no gloves needed. No rough working with it. Light coloured, another option for green is pink. Tourmaline, garnet, peridot

3. Setting takes up from finger about 5.5mm without crown

Acinom; thanks again. Lovely tsavorite, but I want more softer colour than bright

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, your budget is undersized for a 4 to 5 carat coloured stone, light green or light pink, whether it is a tourmaline, garnet, or peridot.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did more searching and found some light yellow green round peridot for around $500 or so but based on prior experience and knowledge, it will be a deep stone and might not fit your setting.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
perhaps a custom cut morganite?

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, thanks for Your knowledge. And dropping me back on the ground :lol:. I think custom route is a way I have to go, just wondered the shape. And I'll check my budget again :wavey:

Gloria27, thanks. If pink, morganite might work...

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately your size requirements in combination with your budget will most likely force you to greatly sacrifice on color and/or clarity.

It is possible that you could obtain a greenish or pinkish Tourmaline in the size you need within your budget. But it'll most likely have off putting secondary colors, clarity and saturation issues etc...

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
With your size, shape, color, depth requirements I suggest you consider having a stone cut. With a little luck it is very possible for you to have a stone cut that'll meet your needs and stay under budget.

Here is a link to a rough dealer, he is actually local for me and has invited me to look at his stones.

http://africangemstones.us/tourmaline-10-ct/

#15 and #50 look like they may have the shape needed for a yield that'll meet your needs.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
GregS, many thanks! Let's dive to the secret world of gemstones! This might turn quite exciting :wavey:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
If you decide to go that route please update us. It'd be very interesting.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
gregS, I have decided to go that way. I'll be back :appl: :wavey:

vinastudio

Rough_Rock
Trade
this beautiful setting is definitly made for a symetrical octagon. But octagon does not necessarily mean Asscher. Just to make it a little more difficult: there is a lot of very nice and good performing octagon designs to choose from. An experienced cutter will be able to help you and give advice for the final decision.
One of my favorite gemstone designs is for example an octagon pinwheel design:
pinwheel.jpg
Where are you located? 24% VAT could be somewhere in Europe? I am located in Austria and I´m in contact with fellow faceters in Europe. Maybe I could help you ...

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
vinastudio|1470470993|4063019 said:
this beautiful setting is definitly made for a symetrical octagon. But octagon does not necessarily mean Asscher. Just to make it a little more difficult: there is a lot of very nice and good performing octagon designs to choose from. An experienced cutter will be able to help you and give advice for the final decision.
One of my favorite gemstone designs is for example an octagon pinwheel design:
pinwheel.jpg
Where are you located? 24% VAT could be somewhere in Europe? I am located in Austria and I´m in contact with fellow faceters in Europe. Maybe I could help you ...

Many thanks! Good to know here in Europe exists people with that kind of skill too. And good quess, I'm from Finland. The setting originally was made and held round stone, but it definately takes symmetrical octagon too. Who know's where my path takes? I'm learning and searching. And I'm sure eventually I'll found right stone to me.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Update; I think that my stone has found...it's not quite green but more pink! At first I contacted Brett at Kosnar Gems and he was super fabulous. He has rough peridot, which was stunning green, but unfortunately it ended up little too deep and wasn't eye clean. Another suitable rough was Malaya, but I wasn't sure because of my previous Malaya, which was too warm and shifty to me. I sold it couple of months ago. I hoped to find something between that Malaya and Dana's rhodolite I love, although it is deeper tone than ideal. Here is Malaya and Rhodo

_5455.jpeg

_5456.jpeg

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Round or step cut

...sorry, I just had to go eat...story continues. I sent inquiries to Litnon and Westview gems, but no response. After stumbling with to whom contact next I remembered Jeff Davies. I purchased from him cute ammy couple of years aga, which unfortunately chipped before setting. I mailed him, because nothing suitable wasn't available on his shop or on FB links. I told I was after tourmaline, garnet, chrysoberyl or spinel. And color wouldn't matter most. I had put away peridots after reading how sensible ithey are, and not least with chemicals. I told if pink, I prefer more pink than peach." Please, what you have on your pocket, Jeff?" "Minna, I have something that fit your bills. Garnet. Mahenge." Quess what? I raised just a little bit my budget. I sent him stats of Erica's transitional, that used to be on Rendezvous. And he started. With round's stats I have now symmetrical octagon pink stone. I have just two shots. Tomorrow I will get a video. But here it goes

_5457.jpeg

_5458.jpeg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, what a beautiful stone :love: I hope it works for you Confection10 :appl:

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another wonderful looking Mahenge garnet!

ETA: it seems the pinker stones shift more peachy/apricot/salmon under CFL. It will be interesting to see how yours behaves under different lights.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
My garnet arrived. I think it's quite beautiful and very moody. It changes colour depending lightning.

_5580.jpeg

_5581.jpeg

dsc_0867_3.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning result Confection! Both the stone as well as the setting are amazing.
I hope you will post a lot more pics.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, confection that looks incredible! I'd love to see more photos--I think the stone looks great in your setting, and I love how the stone shifts it's color depending on the lighting :)

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks amazing in that setting!!

Welcome to the mahenge garnet fan club :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, congrats that is stunning!!!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, this is one of the prettiest rings I have ever seen! :love: :love: :love: Omigosh the setting is amazing and the color of the garnet makes me very happy, it is exactly the color I would love to own someday…congrats on doing such a great job finding the right size stone confection, the end result is perfect!

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Acimon, lovedogs, chroman, arkieb and junebug, many thanks. Just made new thread where is some pics more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results