shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Lab Opinion

Hey All,

I almost purchased little over 2ct round F VS1 that was Ex Cut, Ex Polish & Ex Symmetry in a store but after doing some research online I went ahead and purchased a round 2.49ct F VVS2 with Ideal Cut, Ex Polish & Ex Symmetry. It will be a few weeks before I receive it. The original diamond scored 5.5 HCA and the one I purchased online scored 1.2 HCA. Now that I am more educated I am hopeful I will have a stone with a more well rounded brilliance, fire, and scintillation. One thing I am worried about is the measurements, more specifically the min/max width. The measurements are 8.71 - 8.78 x 5.30 MM. Is there too much variance between the min and max?

Also, please let me know if there are any other call outs.

VIDEO LINK HERE

Shape Round
Size 2.49
Color F
Clarity VVS2
Cut - Ideal
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence None
Measurements 8.71 - 8.78 x 5.30
Ratio 0.99
Depth 5.3%
Table 59%
Crown Angle 33.5°
Crown Height 13.5%
Pavilion Angle 40.8°
Pavilion Depth 43%
Culet POINTED

Screen Shot 2023-12-20 at 12.53.18 AM.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No issue with the diameter range. Your eyes won't detect it as off-round at all. However, the diamond is not very well cut. The pavilion is somewhat unevenly cut, and there are signs of leakage under the table.

It's also a 60/60 style cut, where the depth and table are both close to 60%. This "flavor" of diamond leans more towards brilliance over fire. I personally prefer a more balanced performance and usually recommend looking at stones with close to these parameters.

depth 60-62.4%
table 54-58%
crown angle 34-35 degrees (can go up to 35.5 if paired with 40.6 pavilion)
pavilion angle 40.6-40.9 degrees

Generally, a shallower crown angle will pair better with a steeper pavilion angle and vice versa.

If you share your budget and size/color/clarity requirements, we can help you find an alternative.

Is this the view that shows the pavilion is not cut very well?
Screen Shot 2023-12-20 at 4.31.59 PM.png

I purchased this 2.49 F VVS2 Id/Ex/Ex for around $1500 online. I am still waiting to receive this but can take advantage of their return policy.

After doing some research my priority will be cut and then ensuring it's eye clean with no major inclusion concerns. I can sacrifice a little on color and clarity as long as it has good balance of brilliance and fire, without looking like Moissanite. I'd like to stay around this carat size range but spend up to $2k if needed. Obviously, if I can stay around the same price or cheaper will be a plus.

The diamond will be set in a 2.5mm 14k white gold 6 prong tulip design with a half pave if that matters on selecting a stone.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this the view that shows the pavilion is not cut very well?
Screen Shot 2023-12-20 at 4.31.59 PM.png

I purchased this 2.49 F VVS2 Id/Ex/Ex for around $1500 online. I am still waiting to receive this but can take advantage of their return policy.

After doing some research my priority will be cut and then ensuring it's eye clean with no major inclusion concerns. I can sacrifice a little on color and clarity as long as it has good balance of brilliance and fire, without looking like Moissanite. I'd like to stay around this carat size range but spend up to $2k if needed. Obviously, if I can stay around the same price or cheaper will be a plus.

The diamond will be set in a 2.5mm 14k white gold 6 prong tulip design with a half pave if that matters on selecting a stone.

We can definitely find you a better alternative in that price range. Just let us know when you want to start looking.

These are the indications the pavilion isn't cut well.

pavilion.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am ready now. lol

Here are two options for you to take a look at.

Thanks for the quick search!

The 2.59 looks great and closer to my original price point. It almost seems too good to be true, especially with it showing hearts and arrows on the certificate. It was certified May 2022, how has no one scooped this up yet? If it’s still available after next week, after I get back from holiday travel, I may pull the trigger to have two stones side by side and keep the one I like better. Im going to build the home made ASET scope that I saw posted on here somewhere to help me decide.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the quick search!

The 2.59 looks great and closer to my original price point. It almost seems too good to be true, especially with it showing hearts and arrows on the certificate. It was certified May 2022, how has no one scooped this up yet? If it’s still available after next week, after I get back from holiday travel, I may pull the trigger to have two stones side by side and keep the one I like better. Im going to build the home made ASET scope that I saw posted on here somewhere to help me decide.

Another option for you, and here's a hint on how to find it...not sure if it'll still be available after next week, but fingers crossed.

Screenshot_20231221-083628-439.png

After looking at both suggestions from Adiamor I am now learning about GCAL 8x. I like that there are visuals for each scope view. There are quite a few to choose from on Adiamor's site just by filtering GCAL 8x, anything GCAL 8x should already be well balanced in terms of fire and brilliance? I know this is a broad question, but what are some concerns when looking at this type of certificate?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
After looking at both suggestions from Adiamor I am now learning about GCAL 8x. I like that there are visuals for each scope view. There are quite a few to choose from on Adiamor's site just by filtering GCAL 8x, anything GCAL 8x should already be well balanced in terms of fire and brilliance? I know this is a broad question, but what are some concerns when looking at this type of certificate?

The two biggest hitters to me would be:
1. Material quality (not graded by any lab).
2. Finer details of cut precision (painting, digging, minor pavilion twist, etc) that can sometimes be present in some GCAL 8X diamonds (or any diamond graded by any lab) and resultant areas of reduced light return.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you want a vetted stone with advanced images to back it up, I suggest looking at Distinctive Gem's Steal of the Day options or contacting them to see what else they might be able to find for you.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I suggest canceling the order for the 2.49 if you still can. Frankly no point in comparing it with one better cut when the quality of the material is questionable and it’s around the same price.

Helzburg was nice enough to let me use their ASET scope and here is a link to a video I took near a window.

I know this isn't a GCAL 8x by any means but are there any huge issues with this diamond? It seems to perform well near the window and outside. I see just enough fire under LED lights. I am not sure if I am seeing major light leakages or not, but wondering if it'll work out just fine once it's placed in a white gold setting?

I ended up accepting the order and wanted to share the ASET image and video I took. Since I spent so much time picking this diamond, it has some sentimental value to me versus selecting a diamond that was recommended to me (hopefully this makes sense). Or should I really spend some extra time, and money, to find a better performing diamond such as an 8X?

2.49 Round Ideal/Ex/Ex F VVS2 link here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 12.25.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 12.25.25 PM.png
    906.9 KB · Views: 13

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Helzburg was nice enough to let me use their ASET scope and here is a link to a video I took near a window.

I know this isn't a GCAL 8x by any means but are there any huge issues with this diamond? It seems to perform well near the window and outside. I see just enough fire under LED lights. I am not sure if I am seeing major light leakages or not, but wondering if it'll work out just fine once it's placed in a white gold setting?

I ended up accepting the order and wanted to share the ASET image and video I took. Since I spent so much time picking this diamond, it has some sentimental value to me versus selecting a diamond that was recommended to me (hopefully this makes sense). Or should I really spend some extra time, and money, to find a better performing diamond such as an 8X?

2.49 Round Ideal/Ex/Ex F VVS2 link here

No major issues. There are definitely better diamonds out there, but if you're sentimental about this one and happy with its performance, then it sounds like the right diamond for you.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
The story of a stone is also valuable. We’re hoping for a lifelong happy relationship, and optics are only a part of it. If you’re proud of your find and pleased with the price and the outcome, wear with love!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results