Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1.8mm shank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2mm shank

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

mrslercatobe

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! Just started in pricescope after reading so many informative boards, but I still need some help.
I'm a size 7 finger, fell in love with a double halo e-ring. It'll be custom made and I'd like your advice in regards to, what's a good diameter for a double halo on my size 7 fingers? 10-11mm or 11-12mm? The jeweler is asking me to decided between 6-6.5mm center stones. I also want your advice regarding the shank thickens, it's a single shank or band? And I'm not sure between 1.5-2mm, I'd like something delicate because I have relatively thin fingers and long. It will be a round pave setting too. The halos will have 1mm stones and he said that each halo will add around 2mm to the center stone.. Any advice?

And if you have any similar rings, I'd appreciate you posting them so that I can have an idea on what it looks, let me know your finger sizes and specs please :)

Thanks!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your poll is a little confusing since half of it has to do with the size of the top of the ring and the other half has to do with
the size of the shank, yet only 1 option can be selected. I'll just put my info below...

Shank...2mm. Really, 2mm is not that wide. The head of your ring is going to be fairly large (11-12 mm) so to keep it all in
proportion, I would go with a 2mm shank. If it were me, I would probably even go with a split shank.

Size of head...You can google "double halo" on Pricescope and get more details and photos. One trick that some people use is to
cut out a circles (1 - 11mm circle and 1 - 12 mm circle for your case). Put them on your ring finger and see if 11mm is enough. If
not then go with the bigger look.

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
image_160.jpg

For comparison purposes. My finger size is 8 1/2 with a 9mm overall size halo, 5.4mm center stone, ring has 2.2mm band and my wedding band is 2mm.

I'd go with 2mm or maybe even bigger especially if you go with the larger center stone.

As far as the overall size of the ring, I think that depends on what you like personally where jewelry is concerned. Do you like big rings or are you looking for balance?

mrslercatobe

Rough_Rock
Yeah.. I'm sorry I missed to put multi option answers for the poll. Yeah I was wondering if the ring will look about of proportion if I have a very thin band.. I've done some 11-12mm circles on paper and I believe I see like a huge difference between each other, I believe I'm inclining more towards the 10-11mm because I don't think it'll look extravagant in my tiny fingers :) but I did want to see how similar halos look in other hands to have some idea.. Thank you so much for your info, it really helps :)

mrslercatobe

Rough_Rock
Btw is there a way to edit my poll? I don't seem to find how

mrslercatobe

Rough_Rock
I actually like rings and I'm looking for balance too.. I fell in love with the double halos that have very thin halos, to my opinion compared to thick double halos, they'll look more elegant in my thin fingers, I also want it to cover part of my finger too. So that's why I was considering the 6mm center stone.. In regards to the shank, I've seen halos with thin bands and I've seen halos with thicker ones and my concern is if I'd go with a thin band like 1.5 or something like that, if it'll be a problem for the stones or if as long as the ring is made properly, it should hold up

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think polls can be edited after its creation. I would do at least a 2 mm shank because it needs to be able to hold up the diamond and double halo. Did you cut those circles out and "wear" them on your finger? That's a LOT of finger coverage. :bigsmile:

What are the melee sizes in mm that the jeweller plans to use? I get a better feel for the proportions when I compare the melee size to the center stone size.

mrslercatobe

Rough_Rock
Hahaha yeah I figured.
I attached a pic of the 10-11mm one in the next post.. What do you think?

mrslercatobe

Rough_Rock
This is the paper ring I tried..11mm halo, with a 6mm center stone and 2mm band, as close to it as I could draw hahaha..

_753.jpeg

_754.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try 6.5 mm round with smaller halos (but the same outer size, be it 10 or 11 mm) to see which effect you prefer.

mrslercatobe

Rough_Rock
How small can a halo diamond be? I thought 1mm was the smallest. i tried uploading a picture but it's just not working. How small can halo diamonds be?

Raemoore3

Rough_Rock
mrslercatobe|1447344364|3948783 said:
This is the paper ring I tried..11mm halo, with a 6mm center stone and 2mm band, as close to it as I could draw hahaha..

That size looks great on your finger!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CAD/cast will be thicker than handforged although I have seen only one vendor whose CAD/cast was so fine as to be easily mistaken for handforged. I don't have my ring right now so I cannot measure how wide the total width is. I know that 1/2 pointers are 1 mm. I think typical CAD/cast will add 1 mm of metal but those who are skilled can make it even thinner. I think it is possible to have a 6.5 mm center stone with a double halo that tops out at 10 mm.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of this boils down to personal preference, I am a size 4.25 and wear a single halo ring that measures a little over 12 mm and I love it. I've gotten the sense that a few people think it's a little obnoxious but I don't care lol.

You did a very nice job with the cut-out! I think the 11 mm size looks really nice on your hand and the 2 mm band looks perfect. You just have to figure out your comfort level is, no sense in getting a ring you'll feel self-conscious wearing. Maybe it's best to err on the side of caution and go with the 11 mm (or even 10 mm), it looks good on you and it's certainly a substantial size. It really depends on what you think you'll feel comfortable with. Keep in mind a ring with diamonds is going to attract more attention than one made out of paper!

A 1 mm diamonds is .005 ct. which is half a point, I don't think you want to go smaller than that.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you doing diamonds on the shank? I dont think you said that. I would go with 2mm. Just FYI, we dont consider size 7
fingers to be thin around here. We have some people with 3.5s and 4s. Those are thin! Size 7 can easily take a 2mm band
and you really need 2mm if you are doing diamonds in the shank (IMO) if you want this to be a lifetime ring.

mrslercatobe

Rough_Rock
Oh I see, well he did mention that it will add 1mm in the halo, so I'm guessing that's why a 6mm. And yeah, that's why I kept trying these paper rings haha because I'm afraid once I get a 12mm double halo, I'll feel it'll be too big. But he as well said that it may be maximum 10.5mm. I'll try to push for the 6.5 in that same diameter. Your info has been great, you've taught me a lot today, and I thank you so very much!

mrslercatobe

Rough_Rock
Yeah! Thanks a lot! Well, I don't believe I want to go smaller than ½ either, I do love halos with tiny stones, because to my personal opinion they look more elegant, but I don't think I can go higher than 12mm, I think I'm definitely going towards the 10-11mm size. And there's nothing worst than an e-ring regret lol, so I'll stay in the safe side. Thanks for the ct-pointer-mm explanation, I try to keep up w it, but I always manage to get lost.

Thanks a lot for your input! Much appreciated!

mrslercatobe

Rough_Rock
Hahahahaha.. When I see my hand it's so long that my fingers look very skinny, however, I'll take the 3.5 finger size as tiny tiny hahah.. But yeah, I will have a pave setting in the band and halo too.. So it makes sense that for a lasting ring I'll need a 2mm band. Thank you so much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results