shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Diamond Specs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hannahdog

Rough_Rock
I have been reading the forum for a few weeks now and learned many things that I didn''t previously know about diamond buying. Thanks for the endless information! I would appreciate feedback on the below diamong that I am looking at:

Shape :: Round
Carat / Weight :: 2.100
Cut :: Very Good
Color :: G
Clarity :: VS1

Stone Details Depth :: 59.30 %
Table :: 60 %
Girdle :: Thin
Culet :: None
Polish :: Very Good
Symmetry :: Very Good
Fluorescence :: None
Measurements :: 8.41 x 8.38 x 4.980 mm
Lab Report :: GIA

Thanks for your comments.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Without more info (i.e. crown and pavilion angles), it''s hard to make an assessment. This diamond would be considereda a 60:60 (60% depth, 60% table). Some people really like these stones and others don''t. Here''s a link to some info about that particular combo: http://diamonds.pricescope.com/60.asp

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is not a current model Ideal cut, but it may be a handsome diamond. That is a valuable peice of diamond material and highly unlikely it would be sent to GIA for their report if it was a dog hiding behind otherwise very nice parameters. Of course, your eyes are a good tool to know if you like it. I see nothing blatantly problematic in the 60/60 range. Its the kind of diamond I bought for my wife a few years ago.

We tend to promote ideal cut stones on the Internet because they are dependable in appearance overall. There are many other cut ranges which look very good, but are more difficult to describe and market fairly. Hope you understand.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
hannahdog,

A diamond like that is going to look very large for its carat weight and should have pretty decent brilliance and fire. The cut is far better than what you''ll find in most chain stores and is a diamond that I think most stores and websites would consider to have good to very good proportions.

If you were to compare the diamond to some of the "Ideals/Super-ideals" on the market you would probably find that the ideals were a bit more brilliant, fiery or both. The question is - how MUCH more brilliant and fiery? That is a question best answered by only one person - YOU!

Ask the seller to show you a diamond with Ideal standards and compare the two side-by-side. Then you''ll be able to decide what is most important for you and act accordingly...

hannahdog

Rough_Rock
thanks for the responses, is there a large difference between very good cut and ideal? Is it work spending more money for an ideal cut?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is unlikely to be a bad stone.
Here are 3 possible ideal-scope images based on a range of crown and pavilion angles that work for those parameters. The middle one would look best, but none would be a train smash.

Ask for an ideal-scope photo or the crown and pavilion angles?

59.3 depth thin 60.jpg

hannahdog

Rough_Rock
so am i better off purchasing an ideal cut diamond with a lower clarity grade like SI1, H color?

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/28/2005 8:47:42 PM
Author: hannahdog
so am i better off purchasing an ideal cut diamond with a lower clarity grade like SI1, H color?
No, not in my opinion. Improving the cut might improve the look of the diamond in certain conditions, but to trade a full color and two clarity grades to be able to call something "ideal" isn''t the most prudent decision (IMO).

I''m not saying that you shouldn''t buy a better cut diamond, especially if you can do so for the same money. But sometimes I think we forget that the differences between the "very best" and the "very good" are "very little"! Compare, compare, compare - then decide!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results