shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Diamond Search for Spring Proposal!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I thought that GIA had changed their rating system to include an overall cut rating since the last time I bought a diamond (a decade ago), and that the differences were within that cut rating. But it appears I was mistaken and those are only in-house cut ratings. Sigh.
GIA gives ratings, but triple excellent doesn't guarantee a great stone bc it's a broad category.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
GIA gives ratings, but triple excellent doesn't guarantee a great stone bc it's a broad category.

Now I'm re-confused lol. I just looked up an online GIA certificate and it didn't show an overall cut rating. Guess I'll try to find out if that changed in a certain year or what.

L

lydial

I used the “rarecarat” search engine to find my “budget” gia 1.15 ct ideal cut triple ex for under 4K. Turned out gorgeous. Unfortunately the stone I chose could not be ASET or Idealscope’d before shipping, but a gemologist reviews Four Mine diamonds before sending to the purchaser. The return policy is reasonable. I lucked out w/ mine and it is off to be set. Here is an example of one I found putting your search parameters into rarecarat. Not in love with the 58 table or the inclusions, but there were others you could go through. You should try it. They can search by budget, size and angles which is a huge bonus.

https://www.fourmine.com/shop/diamond/1680077?utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=2018

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They look very similar plus even have same proportions . I would pick the one with yellow undertones(second stone ) Once I had a diamond with brown undertones and it’s a completely different flavor ! It was white at some lighting and was turning kind of dark in different(brown tint was making it more tinted ??) . That stone was very chameleonic. If that possible to order two stones ,I would do so!

I'm going through this exact experience right now with my J. I'm upgrading the J with a brown undertone to a J with a yellow undertone. o_O I know he's going with a rose gold setting, but in my opinion, while a brown undertone stone will look lovely in rose gold, I believe it will still display a brown darkish tone. I would in his case go for the 2nd stone. Ask JA for an idealscope or ASET. The HCA is good at 1.5 but I don't like the Very Good for Light Return.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...e-with-great-colour-perception-2-acas.247344/

Maybe we can do a bit more digging now that he is ok with a J stone.

Last edited:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash
Is this way off base budget wise?
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4045343.htm

Brian Gavin Look at the mm size. The .766 is as big as the WF one.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/0.766-j-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104104723119
or
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...ls/0.764-j-vs1-round-diamond-ags-104104723118

He could still order the setting from JA & have the vendor with the diamond set it. I think though that both of the above charge a hefty fee to set. Maybe someone local can set it?

Either of the above can order from Stuller as well. I know WF can get Adwar settings but not sure about BGD.

Stuller **sorry, the search yielded so many mixed styles of settings.
https://www.stuller.com/browse/wedding-and-engagement/engagements/accented/?showAll=False&bestSellers=False&facetValues[0].First=cat3&facetValues[0].Second=15_21336_21347&facetValues[1].First=pim_primary_stone_shape&facetValues[1].Second=round&facetValues[2].First=metaltype&facetValues[2].Second=gold&facetValues[3].First=metalcolor&facetValues[3].Second=rose&centerStone=&sortby=recent&pageSize=144

CJMT2018

Rough_Rock
It’s here! It’s here! We definitely sacrificed color for size. The diamond is gorgeous, but the diamond is quite warm. What do you all think? We went with a J-VVS2 that was suggested!

Also, we had the prongs tapered a bit, looks beautiful!

325870F4-9DBF-43D7-8223-01AEB5C754AF.jpeg 399185DF-EC1A-4759-B390-9088B433CB6B.jpeg 81F6A619-65D0-47DE-AC58-91331901EA4A.jpeg

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The ring is beautiful! The setting is delicate and the diamond looks very sparkly. Nice job.

Are you bothered by the warmth? I'm someone who prefers colorless diamonds, but I think this diamond looks absolutely gorgeous. I would totally wear it with no regrets. :love:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks really beautiful to me! I'm not that color sensitive though.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is beautiful ... it is a bit warm ... but it is a J and you can see this in the diamond picture on the JA site ... so OP is sure that the fiancée is good with warm, right? Given that, I’m sure the fiancée will love it! It is certainly gorgeous in that delicate setting ... love the rose gold!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not color sensitive, so the warmth wouldn't bother me at all. What do you think?

CJMT2018

Rough_Rock
Hello! I do think it is a bit warm for my taste, and more so when looking at side profile. It is absolutely beautiful face up. We do know she wanted a higher color, but we decided to sacrifice color for size. I think the diamond is perfect for the setting. The ring is so romantic. :kiss2: He said he is very happy with the ring overall and says the diamond performs well. Thank you for all your help! I’m glad I could come back and share pics.

Golden_bird

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the very open setting makes the color even more obvious! If you put a diamond in more closed -basket type setting or at least 6 prongs , it will cover much of profile !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results