shape
carat
color
clarity

Round diamond advice

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
Hi All, new to the forum but I am getting close to finalizing an engagement ring for my GF...I thought I had a decision but I wanted to hold off for a little more advice!

I went to 2 jewelers recommend but friends and have had conflicting information (shocking I know). Both offered be different stones....one said only purchase Triple Ex GIA, the other said “why are you hung up on this “excellent cut grade-it’s not necessary...triple VG is also very good

here are the options on the table.

1- .90, triple Ex, G color,Si1 no fluorescent
Table 58%, depth 61.3, crown 33.5, pavilion 41.2

2 - 1.0, triple VG, color F, Si2, no fluorescent
Table 60%, depth 61.3, crown 33.5, pavilion 41

Option 1 is what I was going for until I said let me take a day or 2 to decide

any feedback? Based on what I have read the crown and pavilion are slightly off but that is just based on random chats.
Any expertise would mean so much to me.

thank you!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope,

For Ideal cut diamonds stick to these numbers.

Depth 61 - 62 preferably ( up to 62.4 is acceptable )

Table 55 - 57

Crown 34 - 35

Pavillion 40.6 - 40.8

LGF's ( Lower Girdle Facets ) 75 - 80

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope,

For Ideal cut diamonds stick to these numbers.

Depth 61 - 62 preferably ( up to 62.4 is acceptable )

Table 55 - 57

Crown 34 - 35

Pavillion 40.6 - 40.8

LGF's ( Lower Girdle Facets ) 75 - 80

Thank you for that! Do you recommend going back to them saying those are the proportions I like? Or just keep asking for different diamonds until I find them. I’m nervous to do an online purchase. Should I be?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is the sort of top range stone you COULD get for the money if you felt like buying online- depending on where you live some of our recommended retailers have bricks and mortar stores too. Do some more research, there’s loads of info on this site, don’t rush into a purchase and please let us help you.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All, new to the forum but I am getting close to finalizing an engagement ring for my GF...I thought I had a decision but I wanted to hold off for a little more advice!

I went to 2 jewelers recommend but friends and have had conflicting information (shocking I know). Both offered be different stones....one said only purchase Triple Ex GIA, the other said “why are you hung up on this “excellent cut grade-it’s not necessary...triple VG is also very good

here are the options on the table.

1- .90, triple Ex, G color,Si1 no fluorescent
Table 58%, depth 61.3, crown 33.5, pavilion 41.2

2 - 1.0, triple VG, color F, Si2, no fluorescent
Table 60%, depth 61.3, crown 33.5, pavilion 41

Option 1 is what I was going for until I said let me take a day or 2 to decide

any feedback? Based on what I have read the crown and pavilion are slightly off but that is just based on random chats.
Any expertise would mean so much to me.

thank you!

Both would be a no for me.

Do you have a specific setting in mind? If so, how much it is and can you post a link to it? That is going to eat up a fair amount of your budget unless the budget you posted is just the diamond.

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
" I’m nervous to do an online purchase. Should I be? "

Yes, I was. :)

I'm just an old retired guy who got remarried last year. It's okay to follow the regular forum members' advice about stones and vendors.

I was very nervous when I wired over $20,000 to Whiteflash. When the rings were ready they were overnighted to a Fedex terminal and I went to the counter and showed my ID.

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
Both would be a no for me.

Do you have a specific setting in mind? If so, how much it is and can you post a link to it? That is going to eat up a fair amount of your budget unless the budget you posted is just the diamond.

If you don’t mind me asking, why would both be a no? Is it the angles? The setting I had in mind was this one. Unfortunately my budget is to be 6k max for the diamond and setting which is why I was between both of these diamonds. Looking at them both and doing research .90 seemed good to me until I say the proportions BUT then I started thinking that those few small mm might matter more then I think. C652BB8E-9350-41B1-ACF8-3BDE727BC5FC.jpeg

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock

This is the sort of top range stone you COULD get for the money if you felt like buying online- depending on where you live some of our recommended retailers have bricks and mortar stores too. Do some more research, there’s loads of info on this site, don’t rush into a purchase and please let us help you.

Thank you!! I have been doing so much research which has gotten me to the point of feeling like I am driving myself crazy.

I went into the process looking for a .90 or above triple Ex cut G-H color and then started to learn all these different things which is why I am over thinking this all.It seems like getting something to fit all the dimensions I want it looks like I might need to buy online?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don’t mind me asking, why would both be a no? Is it the angles? The setting I had in mind was this one. Unfortunately my budget is to be 6k max for the diamond and setting which is why I was between both of these diamonds. Looking at them both and doing research .90 seemed good to me until I say the proportions BUT then I started thinking that those few small mm might matter more then I think. C652BB8E-9350-41B1-ACF8-3BDE727BC5FC.jpeg

Is this the only setting she showed you? What does she do professionally?

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GIA Very good = Very not good. So, without a well-trained eye of your own, eliminate that. The angles of the XXX don't really work together. You want to only look at Excellent and then you have to weed out from there. Think of GIA or AGS Excellent as a coarse filter. You use the HCA tool to further filter them. Then you look at even more precision. You also need the measurements to really understand if these are diamonds that are "showing" or "hiding" weight.

I buy expensive things online all the time. We can help you find a good vendor. But, something's got to give in your budget. If it was me, I'd go with a diamond with a good upgrade program (Whiteflash, High performance Diamonds). Maybe a simpler setting and then upgrade the setting for a future wedding anniversary gift. But, you do you.

For stones
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4068006.htm {gets your size goal, superideal, eyeclean; great option and I'd put on hold while you ponder if you are interested at all}
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4172763.htm {slightly smaller but cleaner}

Setting (WF should be able to get this)

But, if you really want THAT setting, then let us know what you have for the diamond only.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Posting a few from BlueNile, but note if you even want to upgrade the diamond you have to spend double.

This is a similar version of the setting you posted but with rose in the halo. I'd prefer to have white metal around the stone, so maybe the all-white version.

Diamonds
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab {normally I'd say no to a cloud in an SI2, but this is concentrated and not diffuse. Has potential if BN says is eyeclean}
1573317977816.png

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Point blank....fire/sparkle/rainbow light return is what makes the diamond world go round.

Absolutely do not sacrifice on cut. Not only will it do the magic fire dance, but because the angles are right it reflects light properly making the stone look brighter and also illuminates the stone from edge to edge, which also makes an ideal cut stone look larger than a poorly cut one.

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
Is this the only setting she showed you? What does she do professionally?

She is just finishing up nursing school so I know ideally she prolly doesn’t wanna wear her ring or I’ll have to get her a fake lol I assume

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
Posting a few from BlueNile, but note if you even want to upgrade the diamond you have to spend double.

This is a similar version of the setting you posted but with rose in the halo. I'd prefer to have white metal around the stone, so maybe the all-white version.

Diamonds
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab {normally I'd say no to a cloud in an SI2, but this is concentrated and not diffuse. Has potential if BN says is eyeclean}
1573317977816.png

Interesting enough the 1 pointer came up as a similar HCL SCORE which is why I’m worried because how can a triple vg show a score of a 1.2? Again I’m far from a professional so maybe there is a reason?

DannyD_diamond

Rough_Rock
GIA Very good = Very not good. So, without a well-trained eye of your own, eliminate that. The angles of the XXX don't really work together. You want to only look at Excellent and then you have to weed out from there. Think of GIA or AGS Excellent as a coarse filter. You use the HCA tool to further filter them. Then you look at even more precision. You also need the measurements to really understand if these are diamonds that are "showing" or "hiding" weight.

I buy expensive things online all the time. We can help you find a good vendor. But, something's got to give in your budget. If it was me, I'd go with a diamond with a good upgrade program (Whiteflash, High performance Diamonds). Maybe a simpler setting and then upgrade the setting for a future wedding anniversary gift. But, you do you.

For stones
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4068006.htm {gets your size goal, superideal, eyeclean; great option and I'd put on hold while you ponder if you are interested at all}
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4172763.htm {slightly smaller but cleaner}

Setting (WF should be able to get this)

But, if you really want THAT setting, then let us know what you have for the diamond only.

I have considered blue Nile because you can filter down so far in b&m stores they are just showing you stones And I’m not sure what to tell them outside of the 4cs. Now that I know the proportions I feel a little better but do I say....I want these proportions ?

as for the band I’m not glued to this one but ideally something with a split shank Not a big split something subtle with hints of rose gold.
also I will add that my gf is very petite and finger size is 4 3/4 if that helps

here are a few other setting I was looking at

Attachments

• 22F57B9A-1944-4167-89C6-D63DC2643211.jpeg
    22F57B9A-1944-4167-89C6-D63DC2643211.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 0C87949C-89F4-47FD-90BC-E8B1B8893570.jpeg
    0C87949C-89F4-47FD-90BC-E8B1B8893570.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 18

CBPearllover

Shiny_Rock
Nurse? I'd get a bezel setting.

I second this. I have a VERY similar setting (see my avatar pic), and I almost never wore it to work. It would either tear gloves, or feel like it was being mashed down on my knuckle. I'm all about bezel settings now. Everyone on this website educated me on how bezel settings don't detract from the performance of the stone. Unless she wants an intricate ring to wear outside of work? Just my 2 cents

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a really pretty setting. Is it something SHE picked, or that YOU picked? That setting (with quality stones) will probably run around a third of your budget.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results