shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Brilliant hunt

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Randy

Rough_Rock
We all know it''s mind boggling to find the right round brilliant stone. What are your thoughts on this one?

2.0 carat
H
VS2
Depth: 61%
Table: 61%
8.01 - 8.09 x 4.92 mm
Flour: None
Symm: Very Good
Polish: Very Good
Culet: None
Girdle: Med - Very Thick
* GIA Cert.
Price = $14,050

Questions:
1) Is this considered a Very Good Cut?
2) Should I worry about the Very Thick girdle (reduce brilliance)?
3) Is there a reasonable difference between G & H colors (value)?
4) Should I worry about the 2.0 stone chipping thus reducing the weight & classification of the stone?
5) Is this a good price?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Diamond 4 Ever

Rough_Rock
From what I read in the diamond tutorials, you will need more info (sarin report) as a primary filter to determine the quality of the cut. Cut is important. You can have a big diamond, but if it is not well cut, it will not have "life". Based on the info you presented, the table seems to be too big and the very thick girdle is hiding a lot of weight making the spread unattractive. Hope this helps.

Tek

Rough_Rock
That certainly is a good size stone. I don't believe it's an ideal cut if that mattered to you or not. H stones look great. The VS2 is a safe bet in it being fairly eye clean. Wth the Girdle being Med - Very Thick, alot of the 2.0 carat weight might be because of the Very Thick areas. For a 2.0 Carat diamond that's a pretty good price, but remember it will be alot more if it were an ideal or super ideal cut.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There really is no other way to learn what a good cut is aside a little reading. The tutorial on cut right here would be a good start and this one (the video is a great 10 min crash course summary) is an entertaining, down-to-earth (and down-under
2.gif
) alternative.

The one Q you ask and will probably not be answered by these sources is the one about chipping. Here's my take... Diamonds are neither brittle, nor indestructible and the choice of setting is the best way to avoid disaster. If the ring is worn every day, by the 20th anyversary of it's first "try-on", it would surely show some signs of wear under a loupe. For most disasters beyond normal wear, insurance based on a realistic and up to date appraisal is irreplaceable. Do you like (or bear with, at least) bezel settings? there's no better diamond "armour" around, and they surely do not damage the look of a trylly well cut stone (as at least one of the texts pointed out above discusses).

About your first pick? No idea: there is by far not enough info to clasify that cut. The "verry goog" polish and symmetry grades have very little to contribute to cut quality indeed, I am afraid. Also, Sarin analysis is a good step, but there are other (and I would say easier) ways to evaluate the quality of a stone.

Here's an example of what quantity of info one can extract from a poor round brilliant. Not all of that is absolutely required for an educated judgement, but at least one of the tests on light return (and here you have a good collection of most choices you are likely to ever hear about) would indicate wether the stone is a successful cut or not quite.

Hope this helps... for a start.

Randy

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your answers. Do you feel that is a very good cut (maybe not ideal)?

Do you feel a 61% table is too big? Where can I learn more about the spread? What's the best way to evaluate the cut other than simply table/depth % and symmetry & polish?

All the best,
Randy
lickout.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You really need to get crown and pavillion angles for anyone to help you further on this particular diamond.

While this isn't a true 60:60 cut, you might want to check outthis link in the Tutorial. This diamond could be a real sparkler, or it could be a dud. No one can tell you for sure without more information.
1.gif

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
I did some searching on some vendors sites for alternative diamonds in your price range. Here is an alternative stone that is about the same price. It is an SI1 vice a VS2 but it claims to be an ideal cut. [I would ask for the AGS cert and verify that with the crown and pavilion angles but everything else looks good on this stone.] It is .06 ct more than the stone you are looking at but is about .2mm larger in diameter.

Here's the link to 2.06 H SI1 at Dirtcheap diamonds

This stone is $14173, $123 more than the stone you are looking at.

Hope this helps.
wavey.gif

roshita

Rough_Rock
As the others on the forum have indicated, there is not enough information to determine the quality of the cut. What will be useful is knowing the crown angle, pavillion angle, crown height and pavillion depth. What can be assessed about this stone is that it was cut to get the polished weight to be over two carats, where the price per carat is higher. This diamond properly cut would be approximately 1.91 ct, where the price per carat is lower.
Even if the crown height and pavillion depths were in acceptable percentages, the very thick girdle ( if it comprises the majority of the girdle) will allow the diamond to leak light from the girdle, and diminishing its brilliance. A "fish eye" may also be present that would mar the beauty of the diamond seen from the top.

As to color, the average person usually does not see any perceivable difference between a G and an H, both appear collorless to most. Color is a subjective call, it is your perception that will make that decision.

Any chip will reduce the weight of the diamond and as mentioned, changes its weight/value classification.

Without additional information on the stone there is no way of determining accurate valuation. This stone as is does not look promising.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results