shape
carat
color
clarity

Round Brilliant Cut measurements

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tallulah

Rough_Rock
I have just helped my brother purchase a diamond engagement ring from an AGS certified appraiser at a local brick and mortar store. I thought that it was a good purchase, but am stressed now as it does not face up near as large as my sister''s stone of comparable size. Are the cut measurements good for a stone of this size? My brother was hoping for the most visible bang for his buck and less concerned about super quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

round brilliant
6.45x6.5x4.25 mm
1.21 cts.
SI-2
G
Faint blue fluorescence
Paid $5300 before tax at local jeweler

For comparison (my sister''s stone)
round brilliant
6.78x6.85x4.25
1.23 carats

Thanks so much. I need to know if I need to call the jeweler tomorrow :)

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
A 1.0ct stone should have measurements around 6.5 x 6.5. A 1.20ct stone would be closer to 6.9 or so.

Do you know the girdle thickness of your stone?

So if you measurements are correct, your 1.20 faces up more like a 1.0 stone.

Tallulah

Rough_Rock
Appraiser is an AGS, CGA, MGA.
I do not have the angle measurements on the appraisal paperwork.

I feel that I may have to talk to the jeweler tomorrow. My brother (who actually purchased the ring) wanted it to face up as big as possible, so it is dissapointing if it faces up like a 1.0, but has the weight of a 1.2. Any further feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
No, not the appraiser - what lab did the grading report that came with the stone - it would be someone like AGS or GIA or EGL, or a few other labs.
That report (some call it ''certificate'') has the color, the clarity, the depth, table, and if ags or gia will have the angles on it too (egl will list percentages of crown and pavillion). it will also list the girdle thickness and several other things such as the fluoroescence.
or is it an ''uncertified'' stone? did it come without ''paperwork''?

size can hide in several places, and without knowing the #s it will be impossible to tell were the weight is - for example if it has a high crown (the top of the stone), then some of the weight that could have gone into the diameter may be there. the diameter may be smaller in that instance, but the stone will be more ''firey'' meaning gives off more flashes of colored (rainbow like) light. if the girdle is very thick, then the size can hide there. we need numbers to help you.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Wait - am I interpreting your post correctly that the person who sold you the stone did the appraisal also? Is this where you got the clarity and color grades? From the person who sold it to you? Or did it come with paperwork from GIA or AGS or one of the independent labs that independently reported on the color, clarity, etc.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my gut says return it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/22/2006 12:54:59 AM
Author: JulieN
my gut says return it.
I think it would be best. Already this rock isn't fulfilling the visible criteria for which it was purchased....
8.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/21/2006 10:31:00 PM
Author:Tallulah

My brother was hoping for the most visible bang for his buck and less concerned about super quality. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is not what you got. Did the seller know this was your objective? Appraisers can, and often do, double as sales people at retail stores, auction houses, even websites but this doesn’t make it an appraisal. Go back and talk to the salesperson about your concerns about the new stone. When they find another one, schedule a time with an appraiser who doesn’t have a vested interest in the deal to see if you got what you thought you got.

I assume by the use of AGS credentials in the sales presentation that this store was an AGS member store. This is a good sign. They are generally very interested in making happy and long term customers.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely return that stone. And it would be a good idea to learn what measurements to look for before you go back. A well cut 1.2 G SI1 is probably going to cost more than $5000, though. But there is no sense in having a 1.2 that faces up as a 1 ct. I'd rather have a well cut 1 ct.

Here, make sure the diamond fits all the requirements of American Ideal Cut.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/round.asp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results