shape
carat
color
clarity

Round 2 of reset

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with considering having DK shave/sculpt down the shank as a great alternative.
But that unfortunately doesn't fix the problem she has with it being too low to pair with the ring she wishes to without damage.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with considering having DK shave/sculpt down the shank as a great alternative.
But that unfortunately doesn't fix the problem she has with it being too low to pair with the ring she wishes to without damage.

Then DK could remake the same ring and tweak the shank.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for the suggestions but there are other reasons I am having the ring remade. Mainly it is because how boxy the ring but it is also set too low, I can not wear any of my wedding bands including the u prong eternity band he made at the same time as this one. Whatever ring I wear it rubs the bottom of the cup/prong no matter what, I also want to have the side traps raised to give them more of a presence.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been away for a bit, so I'm just catching up. I think you have a clear idea of what you want with the trellis. The challenge with a traditional trellis is that it can be hard to accommodate bands alongside. Would you be interested in something like the Résilient from The Gemstone Project? the curves and swoops float over the shank and allow a flush wedding band to fit. You get the idea of a trellis, but without the challenge of getting the wire from under the main stone to over the edge of that stone.

upload_2019-6-15_13-27-59.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-15_13-24-57.png
    upload_2019-6-15_13-24-57.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 15

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been away for a bit, so I'm just catching up. I think you have a clear idea of what you want with the trellis. The challenge with a traditional trellis is that it can be hard to accommodate bands alongside. Would you be interested in something like the Résilient from The Gemstone Project? the curves and swoops float over the shank and allow a flush wedding band to fit. You get the idea of a trellis, but without the challenge of getting the wire from under the main stone to over the edge of that stone.

upload_2019-6-15_13-27-59.png

Thanks Rocky! DK got back with me over the shank and said that we have to keep it for a flush band as well, I emailed him back to see what other options there are to kinda spruce it up (other than adding diamonds to it).

After his initial CAD I sent him 2 different looks, I wasn't sure what he considered changing the ring too much by so I went simple (which is similar to the above but the curves are just reversed) DK choose to with the Trellis look so I am letting him tweek and and see where that leads.

IMG_8500.JPG

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Digressing - WWW

- the sides could float on the shoulders, there is no band under the boulder - which may sit properly high up. If you wanted to see a version of this design in person, I recall that Cartier might have a similar model among their engagement rings off the rack.

L

lydial

Hi, For you reset I was curious if you had considered a simple double milgrain bezel around the marquise, instead of prong setting it at all, with the cup resting under the bezel.You could jazz up the gallery a tiny bit but not too much to maintain that "space" you need for the neighbor rings. And platinum prong work for your side stones... That would be a classic look and would be much less busy.

I also want to go on the record that you should seriously consider having your current setting shanked thinned - this is easy work for jewelers, I just had 2 ring shanks thinned from 2.6/2.7 mm under my finger to 2 mm. It will change the look of your whole setting. And consider using a thin spacer with your eternity band, even with the new band - even with the setting higher they will rub a little bit. Your finger is like boats riding on the ocean, the rings rise and fall.=)

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, For you reset I was curious if you had considered a simple double milgrain bezel around the marquise, instead of prong setting it at all, with the cup resting under the bezel.You could jazz up the gallery a tiny bit but not too much to maintain that "space" you need for the neighbor rings. And platinum prong work for your side stones... That would be a classic look and would be much less busy.

I also want to go on the record that you should seriously consider having your current setting shanked thinned - this is easy work for jewelers, I just had 2 ring shanks thinned from 2.6/2.7 mm under my finger to 2 mm. It will change the look of your whole setting. And consider using a thin spacer with your eternity band, even with the new band - even with the setting higher they will rub a little bit. Your finger is like boats riding on the ocean, the rings rise and fall.=)

Not sure if I want to bezel and have the cup, wouldn’t that limit the light performance quite a bit?

Thinning the ring isn’t my only issue with the current setting, so that wouldn’t work

L

lydial

Not sure if I want to bezel and have the cup, wouldn’t that limit the light performance quite a bit?

Thinning the ring isn’t my only issue with the current setting, so that wouldn’t work

Sometimes you just need to start over. As they say on Monty Python... “and now for something completely different”! Time for a change!!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I asked if there was a mold since this isn't a cast piece I am just not sure.

40575-QUAD (2).jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is the height of your eternity 2.3 mm?

He didn't say that it was and when I just looked back at the eternity band CAD it doesn't show the height. But the over height is still to be determined since he will also be remaking another band for me as well out of princess cuts and baguettes, similar to this

image2.jpeg

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I went ahead and requested the mold, I am excited and apprehensive all at the same time because I want to love this reset so much

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Omg @KKJohnson! Your marquise is gorgeous and HUGE! I read most of the original thread..I have to go back and read the rest...I’m so excited to follow your reset! Your first one is gorgeous but I get it! You have to love it! Thank you for sending the link!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mold was received, I’m going to wear it a few days and test how I feel about it

IMG_8590.JPG

IMG_8607.JPG

These are the 2 rings that I switch out as a wedding band, the princess cut is one I want him to remake with alternating baguettes. The mold is a little low for it right now and I’m considering if he should raise it up to 2.5mm from the current 2.3mm, just incase I find any other bands I like. That way I don’t have to worry about having to go custom each time. But I’m going to really think on that

IMG_8604.JPG

You can really see the width/height difference here

IMG_8588.JPG

So far the bottom prongs for the trapezoids is something that is noticeable, current setting has a bar which makes the sides of the ring smooth (I don't worry about it getting caught on anything)

IMG_8613.JPG

This is something that I am asking him to curve a bit more since right now it looks a little too straight to me
IMG_8617.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8587.JPG
    IMG_8587.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 22

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To get the curve you need to set higher, I think.
And you are already entertaining the thought of setting higher anyways -
Don’t know if you are open to suggestions still,
But I’d carve down some the current bridge to make room for some of the additional height as well as keeping structural integrity for your marquise.
6DF255F4-CB21-4BB8-BBE5-7BD91F4AD2A1.jpeg
Obviously made correctly for a round finger - ha!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To get the curve you need to set higher, I think.
And you are already entertaining the thought of setting higher anyways -
Don’t know if you are open to suggestions still,
But I’d carve down some the current bridge to make room for some of the additional height as well as keeping structural integrity for your marquise.
6DF255F4-CB21-4BB8-BBE5-7BD91F4AD2A1.jpeg
Obviously made correctly for a round finger - ha!

The bridge is something that I don't like either but have to have, I like your ideas! Thank you

ETA: I wonder instead of setting higher, if just thinning out the bridge a little will help achieve that curve

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is something about the prongs that still does not flow. I think the crossover of the side prongs is contrasting with the non-crossover of the center ones. For this to work, I think you need to change the over and under pattern. I think if you want more curvature for #1, you need to raise the entire ring or shave the bridge. Just another variation to consider.

upload_2019-6-25_20-54-23.png

On the sides of the traps, I'd either use a solid bar (like your current one) or integrate the tail into the shank like the below Steven Kirsch. That will make that area much more smooth. I like the SK version, personally.
upload_2019-6-25_20-41-15.png

This ring shows changing the order of the over and under.
images

Another variation from BGD that limits the crossover to the center.

trellis-three-stone-ring-vs-brian-gavin-aphrodite-3-stone-e-ring.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-25_20-43-37.png
    upload_2019-6-25_20-43-37.png
    344.1 KB · Views: 15

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@rockysalamander The last one wins me, only the tendrills reaching to the tips of the marquise are better as they are in the 'wax' model.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KKJohnson I would increase the thickness of the shank on the bottom, otherwise your ring will not stay up straight due to the weight of your stone. I’d bring the bottom to a 2.3- 2.5mm and just have it gently taper. You won’t see a difference when looking at it from the side.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@KKJohnson I would increase the thickness of the shank on the bottom, otherwise your ring will not stay up straight due to the weight of your stone. I’d bring the bottom to a 2.3- 2.5mm and just have it gently taper. You won’t see a difference when looking at it from the side.

Are you talking about the ring spinning? I am not sure if that is what you mean but to help combat that the raised traps will help keep it in place, my current setting actually spins and it is within the same thickness range you are suggesting so I am not sure if that would help. Another reason I don't want to increase the thickness is because I was cursed with short fingers, the real estate just isn't there.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KKJohnson I think what @SimoneDi is suggesting is something like this (not exact mm) so that your ring doesn’t ‘topple’ north & south on your finger, but it would be invisible face-up.

D4F3C56D-B0D9-474F-B338-76D840E533C8.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am SO EXCITED to see how this turns out!! I think it's going to be lovely. Hooray!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Impolite knee jerk opinion: the new shank & position of sidestones look much nicer, the old not-trellis basket scheme - also better; if only these two could breed together (to cross).

I am still in awe with your stone & how it plays with its gold surroundings - which is what I would wish from a diamond...

thinking out loud

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results