shape
carat
color
clarity

Roughly 5 carat color change sapphire (blueish violet to purple) unheated, GIA cert. Keep or send back?

WheeeSapphire

Rough_Rock
I've been looking for a round, color change sapphire unheated w/ gia cert since July. I found one on day one that I fell in love with, but I wasn't ready to buy. Been chasing something "as good" ever since. I regret that I did not end up becoming the owner of the first stone, but I don't regret not pouncing. I like to take my time and consider. It wasn't meant to be.

Currently considering this stone. I LOVE LOVE LOVE its color in the sun and in white/blue light. I'm frankly a little concerned that it looks a little "amethyst-y" in "regular non photoshoot light."

I have 2 weeks to choose if I am keeping it or not. Another consideration is I am a short woman, wearing a 5 size ring, and I'm worried that it's just a little "too much." I mean the stone is obviously gorgeous, but I'm not sure I wouldn't be happier with a slightly smaller stone. Perhaps one that bleeds less in "non photoshoot" light. The only problem is, I really, REALLY want a ROUND stone. Maaaaybe cushion cut. No damn ovals!

Price was 10.2k.

Video one shows the stone under white, blue, and yellow light, both dim and bright.

Video two is "walking around" light, natural sunlight in a house but no effort made at all to take a "good" video. Trying to catch the "everyday" look.

Would really love some thoughts/opinions. I LOVE the color in sunlight/blue light. It's just so... big. And not my favorite in the dark. I'm wondering if I should try to find something slightly smaller. I'm more interested in color than size. I'm wondering if I keep looking if I might be able to find something smaller with better color in the dark. Buuuuut I've been looking since July. It really must be unheated. That part absolutely is not up for debate.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What colors do you like? I'm not seeing much color change here

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I'd pass. I see purple and I can't stop seeing purple. It is a lovely stone and if the shade is good in the lighting you will see it in most of the time then go for it. I end up wearing my rings inside under lousy lighting 90% of the time so that ends up being the only color I care about. That 2% direct sunlight color just isn't going to be prevalent so no point falling in love with it

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't call it color change. I mean it's purple to violet, so it's really just darker in one lighting condition than another.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
No can decide but you. You're the one who will have to wear it. Everyone elses opinion including mine is subjective to what we like, hence it really does not count. It all up to you.

Hard to tell from your videos but I liked the microscope video. Thinkit is a pretty stone.

You tell price, but not carat weight. Unless I missed it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No can decide but you. You're the one who will have to wear it. Everyone elses opinion including mine is subjective to what we like, hence it really does not count. It all up to you.

Hard to tell from your videos but I liked the microscope video. Thinkit is a pretty stone.

You tell price, but not carat weight. Unless I missed it?

It’s in the title, 5 carats.

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
You don't sound like you like it all that much, just from reading your post description of the stone in different lighting. What lighting condition are you usually in? For example, are you always in an office with white florescent light? If your don't go "ooooohhhh" any time you catch a glimpse of it, I'd say pass and wait for the right one.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
You don't sound like you like it all that much, just from reading your post description of the stone in different lighting. What lighting condition are you usually in? For example, are you always in an office with white florescent light? If your don't go "ooooohhhh" any time you catch a glimpse of it, I'd say pass and wait for the right one.

This. You seem conflicted about it already; I don't think it's the one for you just based on what you are writing. I would keep looking! And it is a lovely stone but it is very purply; I would have guessed a tanzanite.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eye that’s not a colour change sapphire. With colour change the colour change is from daylight light to incandescent light. As I’ve discovered, very few lights are incandescent these days so the colour change is hard to admire!
My advice is to buy the sapphire that looks best in your most common “lighting conditions”. While it’s great to have a stone that looks fantastic in bright sunlight, if you don’t get much sun and spend most your times indoors, not much point.
if you are having doubts, to me that indicates it’s not the sapphire for you. For $10K you need to love love love it.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it. It's a lighter tone and undersaturated and even a tad gray in daylight -- hence the price point for a seemingly well-cut 5-ct sapphire.

Color changes tend to be subtle, imo -- it's more of a shift. It's not like flipping a switch, in my experience.

I hear you on the amethyst look and I can not tell from the photos. I love some violet to my blue sapphires and I have steered clear of some that I feared were too amethyst looking -- but I have actually never seen those in person so I don't know how legitimate of a concern that is.

I do not think that it is too big for your hand. I see very few posts here where folks covet a smaller center stone :cool2:. It may be deep and sit up high, necessitating more design elements around it, etc.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results