shape
carat
color
clarity

ROUGH STONE: QUARTZ or TOPAZ ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lequelam

Rough_Rock
Dear ALL ,
I have 1,400 gr rough stone that my brother picked it up at the quarry nearby our home town. I can''t determine that one is smokey quartz or white topaz . I hope someone could help.I don''t want to show it to local jewelry store , they would say the stone is valueless

Stone 3.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never tried such a thing in my life (guesssing crystal id from pictures online)! However, this looks like a nice piece of quartz, given the shape on that nicely weathered termination. From this side of the Net, I see some black, farely thick, needles running through it which I imply should be tourmaline. How big is it? If my guess is right ta about 20cm lengh, than this makes a nice specimen due to the inclusions. If I wanted such a thing, these can be found at rock shops here and there: however, if the quartz is transparent (aside the mentioned needeles) I would expect to pay a nice amount for it. A piece like I ma trying to describe was offered to me for 150 GBP in a Cambridge shop, and it did sell for that much (to someone else though).

lequelam

Rough_Rock
You are right , it is about 20cm. I guess that is quartz because I have just used topaz and try to scratch it and its is quite soft.
The other side of the stone as attached.I may send it for polishing. This is the only big stone I have owned without paying money.

Stone 1.JPG

lequelam

Rough_Rock
Good idea ! But I would keep it same sharp . Will find another transparent quartz for faceted stone.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results