shape
carat
color
clarity

Rough Rubellite Color Advice

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is this a good color for a rubellite? I am having a hard time telling from the rough.

rubellite.jpg

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The color is okay. Please know that Tourmaline has a tendency to increase in tone, and slightly in saturation after being faceted. So a stone cut from this rough will appear slightly darker than what you see in the photo.

In addition, it appears there are some visible fractures in the current view, but my guess is they will be gone once completed as they are near the surface.

I hope this is helpful to you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you planning on buying your own rough and having it sent to a lapidary to facet?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, a cutter sent me a picture of the rough to see if I'd be interested in him cutting it for me - he wanted to be sure I'd like the color, but I realize I can't tell if I would or not.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can the lapidary describe the colour of what he thinks the final outcome will be? Will it be orangish pink? Pinkish purple? You see where I am going? It doesn't appear to be a particularly fine rubellite colour, which to me, should be a hot pink/red colour (aka ruby-like). Then again, perhaps pricing will reflect this.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
the bougainvillea picture looks to me like a very bright and lively umbalite more than a rubellite. Does the tourmaline hold its color in all lights?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1310570630|2968048 said:
the bougainvillea picture looks to me like a very bright and lively umbalite more than a rubellite. Does the tourmaline hold its color in all lights?

Ditto to the above, although I've seen some rubellite like the picture, although quite rarely.

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ditto on Rogers comments although tourms can surprise you sometimes. It'll depend a lot from what color the C axis shows and how much of that color bleeds in on the finished stone if it's cut on the AB axis which, is how most tourms are usually cut. Either way it looks to be a good piece of rough but I'd like to see more shots of it taken from different positions and under different light. Good luck on your search :mrgreen:

Pete

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I bought this and should be getting it today. Maybe it will appease me.

6987083_orig.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pictures when you get it, please! I have been thinking of a similar-coloured stone, wondering which route to take (rubellite/umbalite/etc.). I admired that rhodolite when it was posted, hope it's as beautiful in person. :)

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock
that is a gorgeous color flower! I've been searching for something that color as well, like wearing summer on your finger... :twirl: Love the stone you bought too. yummy. Also been searching for a blue/green tourmaline, I want both! Going to my jewelers today, he's making me a diamond halo setting, and I'm getting a pink tourmaline, but not sure if it'll satisfy my craving. Hard to find the right color stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results