shape
carat
color
clarity

Rough Rock, Cut Rock, Ideal Rock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I don''''t understand based on what a user is assigned whether or not they are "rough rock," "cut rock," or an "ideal rock."

I thought it was based on the number of posts, but I know I am wrong. Because I just saw an user with 400+ posts to be ideal rock while another will 611 posts to be "cut rock"

Any idea how this works?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. I guess Leonid never made hard rules
34.gif
It was funny to see some old timers labeled "rough rock" for a while...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
There aren''t hard rules...it''s as Leonid saw fit really.

Also I know that it''s not an automatic ''upgrade'' persay, Leonid has to modify manually so I bet that he only does it every so often.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I think I deserve a cut increase since most of my recent posts have been occupying top-10 spots on the charts
emotion-5.gif
Just kidding.

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on how many of your posts are about offering help in a variety of ways...over on the ''Are we there yet?'' thread, alot of the posting is just chatter about pre-engagement stuff. nerve calming for those of us on teh thread, but of no real import to the diamond world. So, you could easily rack up 500 posts and not really be talking about much besides nerves and wedding dresses- and stay a Rough Rock.. Or someone could post 100 times and give excellent advice on diamond selection and/or colored stone characteristics and be upgraded to Cut or Ideal. So, I may be wrong, but I think Leonid looks at the content of the posts as opposed to the quantity.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I don''t care what LEONID thinks. And I don''t care about what I am. I was just curious.

BTW, I don''t it is democratic that one person, Leonid, has the power to decide who is what. It should either be automated based on number of posts or such, something else. Whoever is reading this thread: if you have power to contact leonid, let him know of my protest, as I don''t intend to contact him.

Question the Authority. Don''t Ask Why. Just do It

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
He''s gonna ask you to PM him. Since he runs this site, all decisions are up to him. People need to remember that the 1st A, democracy, all those things you associate with America only applies to the gov''t. Private things can do whatever they want.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i got to an "ideal rock" (in 6 months) by opening up my BIG mouth
6.gif
and don't know what the hell i'm talking about.so there is no set rule.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I am not going to PM him. If he is the moderator, I expect him to know what is going on here. He actually might not like me for the controversial threads that I post.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
always wondered what that stuff meant...............never really thought about tho..................more interesting stuff afoot!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not a democracy, Leonid owns this forum, and thankfully runs a fairly open forum - and he is free to set his rules. I personally withdrew from another forum a couple of years ago when I didn''t like the new changes to the rules - and I was one of the sought after experts on that forum, and people still refer to post I made 3 and 4 years ago over there. But, that forum owner has set rules that I don''t agree with - so I left. I suspose in a way that is democracy in action.

I would like to point out that the US goverment structure is not a pure democracy. It is a republic, with democratic process elections of most of the governing members of the republic (i.e. A democratic republic).

The difference is crucial. In a democracy the majority could do whatever they wanted - whenever they wanted. A republic has limits on what the majority can do - at least in the short term. That is why the US has such great civil and personal rights and freedoms. The majority can eventually change the foundations of our form of government. Fortuanatly, most "current issues" don''t last long enough to drive that kind of change. I would not want to live in a pure democracy.

Perry

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock

"I would not want to live in a pure democracy."

ditto--mass rule is not a good thing. think about the arguments for eliminating the electoral college and letting the victor be selected by popular vote? yikes

viscera912

Shiny_Rock
hello,

KEVINRAJA, i can see what you are talking about with the "ranking" of rocks. you would like to see an ordered system dealing with how once may attain the various levels of rank within in a body of individuals. however, i do not like the manner you chose to voice your opinions. statements such as, "I don''t care what LEONID thinks; I am not going to PM him," are actually detrimental to your opinion. LEONID owns this site, therefore, he can do whatever he wants he is the president. i am currently the president of my med school class and if someone were to approach me in the manner in which you presented your opinions i would not have listened to you. once you work in an environment where respectful consultation and conduct is crucial you learn to appreciate the finer art of approaching a peer with an opposing view. i believe you began the thread in a perfectly respectable manner, however, after a couple of responses by others, you turned angry. no one will respect and listen to what you say because your approach sounded harsh and critical. i understand if it doesn''t matter to you whether you are a "cut rock" or an "ideal rock", but i think the manner in which you turned this thread was rude to LEONID and did not win any respect for your opinions. you brought up the thread, however, you asked if someone else could contact LEONID and tell him of your opinion. i am sorry KEVINRAJA but that is not respectable or a proper way to voice your opinions. a simple PM would have sufficed, at least you two could have had a respectable communication and posted the results of your deliberation. i can probably go on longer about this but i have a lot to study tonight so i need to end this.

by the way, that was an excellent and succinct explanation of the differences between a republic and a democracy PERRY. it has been a long time since i have sat in an govt. class!

jason

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Jenwill, thank you for your great explanation
21.gif
( I miss your “Dharma and Greg” avatar
face11.gif
)

I actually never thought that these titles will be of any interest to anybody. Different forums usually assign certain level to the posters based on the number of posts. So Cut Rock is merely for the members with over 75 number of posts. There is nothing more than that.

Ideal Rock status doesn’t depend on number of posts but rather on contribution to the forum, quality of posts and especially help to newbies.

Hope this helps
21.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for clarifying, Leonid. Someone definitely needs to chill out with their huffy, unsolicited opinions.......

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I don''t mind the controversial threads that you start and I think some of the threads are interesting, but I do feel a sense of hostility from your posts. I wonder why you start a thread regarding a topic if you really don''t care it. I don''t know but it just seem weird to me. I have nothing against you personally; i just don''t like the negative feelings that are brought on.

I had been wondering about the rock ratings; thanks for clarifying Leonid

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2005 10:42
6.gif
9 PM
Author: leonid
Jenwill, thank you for your great explanation
21.gif
( I miss your “Dharma and Greg” avatar
face11.gif
)

I actually never thought that these titles will be of any interest to anybody. Different forums usually assign certain level to the posters based on the number of posts. So Cut Rock is merely for the members with over 75 number of posts. There is nothing more than that.

Ideal Rock status doesn’t depend on number of posts but rather on contribution to the forum, quality of posts and especially help to newbies.

Hope this helps
21.gif
leonid
what comes after "ideal rock" ? "master rock" ?
9.gif

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 10:42
6.gif
9 PM
Author: leonid

So what you are saying is that you can''t judge the rock by the numbers, you actually have to see the posts?
37.gif

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock

Of course this board is a dictatorship – It is owned and run by one man, in the manner he sees fit.

And it will remain that way – as it is Leonid who pays the running costs of this site. He has no obligation to continue if he felt it wasn’t worth him spending the money on keeping it running. He is the one who choose if he wants extra help to moderate the boards.

Just remember it is a testament to him that this is such an open board where opinions can be openly put forward. – there have been other boards – I take the Heavy Metal band Judas Priest as an example – where only the moderators and Admin may start topics, and ALL posts are moderated before they are posted.

The Land of the Free? You ever told you that is your enemy! (Rage Against the Machine)

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
You all are right. If I put me in your shoes, I would probably don''t like the way I express my opinions. I don''t mean to hurt anybody or anypost. But that is just the way I am, abrasive I guess. I do apologize if I did offend anybody. When I said I don''t care how leonid assins the ratings, I didn''t mean to say that I don''t want to know how it works, it is just that I don''t care what rating I am given. See, how many people didn''t know about this rating system, now they all are on the clear.

Little that you know, Leonid just promoted me from rough rock to cut rock. Thanks Leonid
31.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2005 6:21:17 AM
Author: kevinraja
Leonid just promoted me from rough rock to cut rock. Thanks Leonid
31.gif

Perhaps the squeaky wheel gets the oil after all ;-).

Deborah

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Author: Superidealist

So what you are saying is that you can't judge the rock by the numbers, you actually have to see the posts?
37.gif

Very funny, Dave. I am glad you never stopped being an outside agitator ;-).

Deb

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 6:21:17 AM
Author: kevinraja
You all are right. If I put me in your shoes, I would probably don''t like the way I express my opinions. I don''t mean to hurt anybody or anypost. But that is just the way I am, abrasive I guess. I do apologize if I did offend anybody. When I said I don''t care how leonid assins the ratings, I didn''t mean to say that I don''t want to know how it works, it is just that I don''t care what rating I am given. See, how many people didn''t know about this rating system, now they all are on the clear.

Little that you know, Leonid just promoted me from rough rock to cut rock. Thanks Leonid
31.gif
The subject of Rough, Cut and Ideal rock was discussed a short while ago on this (Diamond Hangout) forum as I brought it up when I was moved to Ideal Rock. A search on your behalf may have produced the thread. And yes, I do think you come across rather abrasive, but you have been told this before. Obviously, you do care what rating you are or you would not have brought it up.

I for one am extremely happy with the fact that Leonid (alone!) has the say in who gets to Ideal Rock. He obviously has his own set of criteria, and I believe he is consistant in applying that criteria. I also think that the idea of getting to Ideal Rock by posting helpful information keeps most people mindful of the mission of this site.

Congratulations on Cut Rock, I look forward to seeing you make it to Ideal Rock now that you know how to get there!

Nicolas

Rough_Rock
Hi

Kevin, Is it me or are you a little bit agressive for a few days?
It ''s just a question
2.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Um, I''m clueless... WHY is the rough/cut/ideal notation a big deal?

Hey, if I make my way to ideal rock do you think the PS vendors will give me a bigger discount? Tee Hee!!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
WHOA, I JUST NOTICED THAT I''M AN IDEAL ROCK!
36.gif

Thanks Leonid!! They like me, they REALLY like me.......
9.gif

First off I''d like to thank the academy....
10.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Steve,
I know it matters not to you, but from day one, you have always been very helpful....an "ideal rock" to me!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Status? Rank? It is just a place between two hard spots........

cheers--Sharon

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 8:16:46 AM
Author: Nicolas
Kevin, Is it me or are you a little bit agressive for a few days?

It 's just a question
2.gif

Male PMS?
iono.gif
tongue3.gif

Hey, just noticed I'm a cut rock too. Cool. Thanks, Leonid. I like that Ideal Cut requires a manual change though. I'm on several boards and I am well aware that just b/c you're a post whore doesn't make you that productive member of the board.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2005 9:11:54 AM
Author: pearcrazy
WHOA, I JUST NOTICED THAT I''M AN IDEAL ROCK!
36.gif

Thanks Leonid!! They like me, they REALLY like me.......
9.gif

First off I''d like to thank the academy....
10.gif
LOL Pear!!!! I LOOOOOVE your new avatar..goes with your new uh..status!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results