shape
carat
color
clarity

rough diamonds pricing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

solea

Rough_Rock
Hello,
Could anyone give me advice of where to find official prices of rough diamonds and what are the different variables that affects the pricing.
Many thanx

diamonlove4

Rough_Rock
hi, for the rough diamonds you will have to take a course from GIA.IGI.HRD comp.

THIS WILL HELP YOU ALOT .
35.gif

DBM

Shiny_Rock
it''s a whole different world in rough and i doubt you''ll find even a GIA course that will give you much more than just skimming of it. there was a great book i once read.. i think called "DIAMOND" :) and it gives alot of info about rough factors interspersed thoughout his "story".

as far as prices, very hard to find out if you''re not in the industry especially.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/12/2006 11:55:55 AM
Author:solea
Hello,
Could anyone give me advice of where to find official prices of rough diamonds and what are the different variables that affects the pricing.
Many thanx
Its not "that" simple.....

And no, there is no Labratory today in existance that can teach you...

Its being learned the hard way...., "Trial and Eror"!!!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Delving into the rough market (i.e. putting $ into rough stones) is an excellent way to get your head handed to you financially...
32.gif

Purchasing a rough stone, or even a few, for collector purposes, or for possible cutting practice (if you have the special equipment) is OK. You can find stones (usually poor quality, but of gemological interest) here and there.

If you want to see lots of neat pics of different quality rough try...www.diamondrough.com, and if you want to learn how to cut rough go to...www.roughdiamonds.com.

Good luck!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you are talking about an ''official price-list'' for rough diamonds, there is a price-book, upon which the long-term-contracts are based between De Beers'' and producer-mines or producer-countries. As such, Alrosa for instance, has a similar price-book. However, this is not publicly available.

Pricing is based upon the variables of size, shape, colour and clarity, so basically one could say it is based upon the C''s of polished, with the logical exception of the C of Cut. However, since we are speaking rough diamonds, this is absolutely not as refined as what we are used to in polished.

Also, this price-book is not a menu, in which you can take one dish, and assume that this is the price of that particular dish. The price-book is used to assess the value of a full production of a mine, or of a mining country, and the companies using this book use it to buy the full menu, without picking. In this way, both the errors of less refinement and possible errors in specific categories are offset by other errors in the whole book. So, even if one could get a hand on the price-book, it is not to be used unless when buying a complete production, what we call run-of-mine.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results