shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose or white gold for this pink spinel?

Rose or white gold for this pink spinel?

• Rose gold

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • White gold

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
From Precision Gem:
Pink Spinel - 1.94 ct. Here's a pink spinel from Tajikistan cut a round with a fancy crown. The stone measures 7.75 mm and is a pretty baby pink color.
spinelvendor.png

Gene's photo is very accurate for color. There is very little color shift in different lighting.

My best attempt:
pinkspinel.png

It looks slightly more pink in incandescent light:
spinelincandescent.png

My camera isn't very good at capturing pink. My pictures look washed out compared with what I see in person.

Any setting suggestions? Considering a simple prong set solitaire to show off the fancy crown. Thanks in advance.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely stone! I voted white gold because I think rose gold will suck some of the delicate beauty from this stone. Most of the time I think contrasting colors accent a stone and let the intrinsice beauty shine.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any of each metal colour that you can photograph next to the stone (in both it's rose pink and peach colourways)?

This is the sort of gemstone that, because it changes colour, isn't a straight forward "w/gold" etc. You'll need a metal that will compliment all it's faces.

If you have some metal of the colours you like, try taking photos and then compare side by side. I've done that on occasion and it's helpful to see what I like/don't like.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it's not one of your options, but I think yellow gold will bring out the pink best. :))

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
To accomplish LovingDiamonds suggestion, I like to wrap different colored chains (like necklace chains) around a stone to see what I think.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1317425593|3030136 said:
I know it's not one of your options, but I think yellow gold will bring out the pink best. :))

With this color spinel, I agree with TL that yellow gold would bring out its best. Or, if you really want white gold, perhaps consider unplated white gold, which is not as icy looking.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I would go even further offpiste and suggest an oxidised metal to really let the stone speak, in a funky organic setting - something like this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/27332075/black-is-the-color-of-my-true-loves

(I am SO close to buying that ring, you don't even know! :love: )

But if you would prefer more a traditional setting metal, then I would like to see an unplated white gold, like Aoife suggests :twirl:

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions!

natsplat: Oxidized metal would make the piece look really unique! But I think I'm going for a more classic look.

Aoife: I think I need to go hunt down some unplated white gold to try on! I haven't seen them in person before.

TL: I agree with you that the pink likely looks best in yellow gold, but yellow gold doesn't work as well with my skin tone.

Upgradable, LovingDiamonds: I don't have any rose or white gold in hand, but I'll play around with the images later when I have some time.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thbmok|1317651753|3031966 said:
Thanks for the suggestions!

natsplat: Oxidized metal would make the piece look really unique! But I think I'm going for a more classic look.

Aoife: I think I need to go hunt down some unplated white gold to try on! I haven't seen them in person before.

TL: I agree with you that the pink likely looks best in yellow gold, but yellow gold doesn't work as well with my skin tone.

Upgradable, LovingDiamonds: I don't have any rose or white gold in hand, but I'll play around with the images later when I have some time.

Two tone then, yellow gold basket or bezel, and white gold shank.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
18k pink/red gold is very subtle and while more expensive would perhaps work well.

14k pink/red gold can be overwhelming.

can you visit a jeweler and place your stone with metals to make a decision? or even a chain? my 18k red gold chain doesn't look "red" unless placed next to 18k yellow or green gold......actually if you can find some chains and make a pile and place your stone on top you might get to idea re which metal you prefer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results