shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose Gold vs Pink Gold

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the difference and can you request either or do only certain jewelers offer pink gold? I see rose gold listed everywhere but not pink.

If you do have any pink gold, please post a pic so I can see.

Reactions: AV_

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a comparable of white, yellow and rose gold on my Spinelli Kilcollin ring:
EC376BCA-7785-42EA-A636-373B65F24ED8.jpeg

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Pink gold, as I understand it, is, colour wise, between rose and red gold. Rose gold has the smallest amount of copper and is therefore closer to yellow gold. Pink has a bit more, followed by red gold, which is the redest in colour. Nowadays most jewellers use rose gold, since it’s a bit “finer” in tone compared to yellow, but not too coppery, meaning red.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I thought they were the same? 14k being pinker do to having more copper (is it?) than 18k.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds some (pink gold) isn't something in the norm as I can't find much on it and would like to see side by side with rose gold. Hopefully a trade person will chime in.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It depends on the makeup of the alloys being used. Different jewelers and manufacturers each do something a little different. I have some RG pieces that I got when it first started to show up on the market and, since then, I've seen colors that are much more pleasing to me. Now my pieces look orange in my eyes and I never wear them. They do look nice against my skin tone (not that i'm orange lol!), but I am just not attracted to them anymore at all, sadly. I like the way Tiffany does their RG pieces.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I expect newer, redder alloys to be called 'pink' or 'red', some look like copper, a few have even colder purplish tones; high carat ones used to have their problems, low carat tarnish...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I consider 14k more what I'd call pink gold. Most of the 18k has more copper and gold making it deeper in color, whereas the 14k has more white metal alloy making the color more pink. That's just my personal take on it. Some people use the terms interchangeably, too.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it has to do with the alloys used. Cartier calls its metal pink gold and VCA call their metal rose gold. Both are 18kt, and they look pretty similar to me. Perhaps 14kt might give a rosier appearance than 18kt, and I've heard of 18kt being called peach gold. The bottom line is that it's all nomenclature.

Anyway here is Cartier's pink gold and VCA's rose gold. I don't see much difference.
20200204_112457.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've only ever seen the term used just interchangeably with rose gold, to make it match "yellow" and "white" in terms of being a plain color name. Just like how some places will call 18k and 14k and 10k alloys of "rose" gold by all different names, and others will call them the same thing. My Cartier love ring calls itself pink gold but it's just rose gold and looks exactly like all the other rose gold I have. I do think 14k is "pinker" than 18k but only minorly so in my experience. (otoh, 20k "rose" gold is not terribly rosy. I'd consider that peach gold.)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the difference and can you request either or do only certain jewelers offer pink gold? I see rose gold listed everywhere but not pink.

If you do have any pink gold, please post a pic so I can see.
Yep, "rose gold" is often a generic term that captures a range of colors. I've not recently seen Ritani's rose gold settings, but several years ago, when I was helping my godson and his fiancee select a ring, Ritani's rose gold was a softer pink than, e.g., Vatche's.

The "rose gold" alloy that a manufacturer, jeweler/goldsmith uses at one point may not be the same they subsequently use. So if a particular color of "rose gold" is important to you (it matters a lot to me), you'll want to be sure of what their current alloy is, or what they're willing to obtain, before placing the order for a non-returnable piece.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great, thank you all for the replies, that helps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results