shape
carat
color
clarity

Rose gold prongs for pink diamonds?

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm looking for advice on rose-gold prongs/two tone rings.

I'm finally going ahead with a five stone trellis ring - I'm re-setting the stone from my original engagement ring (now re-cut by Brian Gavin). The two larger side stones are going to be pink diamonds. Should I have them set with rose gold prongs? Or will that look weird because of the trellis? The rest of the ring will be 14k white gold.

For those of you with two-tone rings, does having two colours of gold cause problems when getting the rhodium plating re-dipped?

Thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and here's a pic of one of the pink stones (fancy vivid).

FV pink diamond.jpg

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
If it were me, I would probably go with all white gold. Sometimes I think the coppery pink of rose gold looks a little off with pink stones, depending on the shade of pink...

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
I would lean towards the RG if they were a light pink, but those diamonds look pretty vivid and I think the RG color would compete with them.

Oooh, and thanks for asking what happens if you have RG prongs and a WG base when you have to get it dipped. I've been wondering that myself.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would certainly want to opinion of the person making the ring ......but...... I personally think the RG would make this VERY special looking!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it will look right with a trellis to use part rose gold. Should be a beautiful ring!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I adore pink diamonds with rose gold, but I can't picture how that would look with a trellis setting.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure that a diamond?
I've never seen that gorgeous :love: hue, and I look at zillions of pics of them.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much! That's what i was thinking. I just can't see it working with the trellis. Plus there's the re-dipping problem (and I sometimes have to get my rings re-dipped twice a year!).

Thank you all so much for your advice. Sometimes you just need to hear it from another person.

White gold it is!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1319252527|3045248 said:
Are you sure that a diamond?
I've never seen that gorgeous :love: hue, and I look at zillions of pics of them.

Yep! And that's just the cert photo. It was much more beautiful in person. And you should see it in the sunlight! I love what sunlight does to FCDs.
Eric sent me several so I could choose exactly which shade of pink I liked.
I'm such a coloured diamond junkie! (Partly thanks to your fabulous photos Kenny!). I sometimes think I would enjoy my jewelry even more if it could all be photographed by you and then I could watch the slide show! Thanks so much for sharing your lovelies.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
what a beauty! can't wait to see it set - please post hand shots :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1319225618|3044929 said:
I don't think it will look right with a trellis to use part rose gold. Should be a beautiful ring!

agreed. stick with one color.

cant wait to see the finished product!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elam|1319291479|3045368 said:
what a beauty! can't wait to see it set - please post hand shots :appl:

Yes!!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it an HPHT pink diamond? If not, that's an amazing natural colour.

For that colour rose gold (which can look a bit orangey) may contrast a bit too much. I have an HPHT red diamond and I've set that in white gold and honestly I had to think what colour the prongs were because I don't even notice them! With lighter pinks I tend to use rose gold and I've also used yellow.

I think with the colour you have, white or yellow would look equally good but I'd stay clear of rose gold I think.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Periwinklegirl, thanks for the kind words.
I'd LOVE to take gem pics for a living but don't know how to break into the business.
(Sorry for threadjack)

LovingDiamonds|1319308069|3045502 said:
Is it an HPHT pink diamond? If not, that's an amazing natural colour.

Yes, I'm also curious and want to learn.
I love FCDs and am somewhat obsessed with learning about their range of color, both natural and treated.

There ARE natural FCDs of surprising hues that are one in a billion.
I think my poorly-cut, windowing and heavily included Fancy Intense Orangy Pink 16-pt heart is an example of such a rare a color; it's like fresh bright watermelon juice.
It also has a hot pink fluorescence, that you will see once in a lifetime. (So I'm told.)
It is one of my least expensive FCDs but IMHO posesses the most astonishing FCD hue I have ever seen.
Unexpected hues CAN happen in natural FCDs, which makes the field interesting and exciting.

If your vivid pink's color is of natural origin it will correct and greatly expand my (and our) understanding of the range of what nature has produced.
If not it also informs our understanding of how fantastic and beautiful FCDs treated for color can be.
There are other gems with similar color, but they can't do with light what diamond can do. :love: :love: :love:

BTW, who graded it Fancy Vivid Pink? GIA? Vendor? Other lab?
I see some purplish in it, but it could just be the pic, though I doubt that since the background does not lean towards blue.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it this one Periwinkle?

http://d.neadiamonds.com/lab-created-diamonds/PB07

Out of curiosity, when you buy I know they tell you that it's a lab created diamond but I notice from their website that they use either HPHT or CVD - are you told which treatment has been applied to your stone? Their website is full of good information but I wondered what you, as the customer, actually received?

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1319308069|3045502 said:
Is it an HPHT pink diamond?

Yes! High Pressure, High Temperature, and then irradiated to make it pink. D.NEA doesn't grow pink or green diamonds from scratch.
Funny how I don't care for irradiated blue diamonds but am quite happy with the pinks. I suspect it's because they are small enough to take the irradiation thoroughly. And of course, when you start with a high-quality stone, you're more likely to end with a high quality result.

It's from D.NEA - source of all my coloured diamonds. And yes, that is the listing for it.

Kenny - it's graded as Fancy Vivid Purplish Pink by EGL.

However, Eric has reminded me that I actually chose Fancy Intense Pinks, not vivid. So that's not the picture of the stone that I chose (I chose the stones so long ago that I couldn't remember the details). And as a side note on fabulous customer service, Eric found my original emails from when I had the stones in my hand, so that's what I went from when ordering from him.

Eric sends the EGL certs with the stones - so far all I've ever had was HPHT.

I still haven't seen all the stones together at once yet. My centre diamond was off with Brian being re-cut when I had the pinks here "visiting".

And yes, definitely there will be pics of the finished product!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks PW.
Can't wait to see it set. :appl:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to see it either! Are you setting it with white diamonds? I think the contrast would be to die for!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
My old solitaire is an M. And I managed to get some M coloured-side stones to go with it. The pinks will go between them to make a five stone.

I will definitely post pics.

I've asked Eric if he can send me pics of the two pinks I bought. I will post them when I get them.

Apologies for not being clearer up front it was an HPHT!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, I was thinking of you today. I had the chance to go to a coloured diamond exhibition at one of the big jewelers here. It was so much fun! Other than my own, I've never seen any FCDs, except for the odd yellow one. They were all stunning!
Lots of yellow - including some big ones (10 and 17 carats). I've decided I like the paler yellows much more than the deeper yellows.
A few orangy ones, some gorgeous pinks (some exactly the colour of my pinks) and some grey-blues. I have to say, not nearly as nice as my blue. They even had a green one. And a red one (more like deep pink really - but still!).
It was a great way to spend some time. Sadly, no pics.

Here's a link to an almost red one that I covet:
http://d.neadiamonds.com/lab-created-diamonds/PB11

It may be time for me to admit that I'm an FCD addict.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1319325379|3045607 said:
Is it this one Periwinkle?

http://d.neadiamonds.com/lab-created-diamonds/PB07

Out of curiosity, when you buy I know they tell you that it's a lab created diamond but I notice from their website that they use either HPHT or CVD - are you told which treatment has been applied to your stone? Their website is full of good information but I wondered what you, as the customer, actually received?

I forgot to mention that the EGL certificate for each stone is available online.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Periwinkle - I have a red one (irradiated but natural and not lab created). I've never seen another like it but the colour is similar to the one you've linked to. If the DNEA one is similar I would urge you to save up and buy it in a heart beat! I adore mine! Please excuse fluff in the photo!

Diamond Red 6 Remake_1_1.JPG

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love this ring! It's so beautiful. It's what inspired me to like red diamonds in the first place! Thanks for posting another photo of it (and such a nice closeup)!
FCDs are like tattoos - as soon as I get one, I want another!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Here's the new pic! These are my actual pink diamonds. Eric mentioned that the colours are more saturated than they appear in the pic, and I'd have to agree. I didn't buy them based on the photo, I saw them in person.
They are 0.19 ct (each), fancy intense pink, SI1, HPHTs.

Fancy Intense Pinks.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are beautiful. I can't wait to see your photos of them. I bet you're very excited! Have you decided on what you're going to do with them and the colour gold?

(Thank you for the kind compliments on my ring. I love it too!)

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, thank you! And for your kind interest too.
They are going into my old engagement stone reset - I had Brian Gavin recut it, and it's now 0.39ct (it was 0.67, but very poorly cut - shallow and with a big culet). Now it's so full of life! So that will be the centre stone. Then the two pinks will side stones and I have two more little 10 pointers that are the same colour as my centre stone. It will be a five stone trellis. And yes, I've decided it will be all white gold.
Here's a pic of the design. As soon as I have time to go pick up my stones, I'll be sending them off to the jeweler! I'm excited just to see them again. If it's a sunny day, I might be able to get a pic or two of all five stones together before I send them off.

five stone trellis side1.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
periwinklegirl|1319854933|3049779 said:
Here's the new pic! These are my actual pink diamonds. Eric mentioned that the colours are more saturated than they appear in the pic, and I'd have to agree. I didn't buy them based on the photo, I saw them in person.
They are 0.19 ct (each), fancy intense pink, SI1, HPHTs.

WOW, those are gorgeous!!!

It sounds really pretty - and those pinks look vivid enough to hold their own without the rose gold :love: :love: :love:

JamesChemist

Rough_Rock
Periwinkle,

Do you happen to have pictures of your finished product yet? I would love to see them.

To clarify things a little bit I think all DNEA's diamonds are created using a HPHT (High Pressure High Temperature) process which include colorless, fancy yellow and fancy blues. However the Pink, Green, and Red ones are created using a post-growth treatment usually irradiation. http://d.neadiamonds.com/diamond-color Can't wait for the pics.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd love to see how this turned out :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results