shape
carat
color
clarity

rose gold or yellow gold for a Lavender Spinel?

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock
Hello there! Can I have your suggestion on which is a better color of gold to go with a round lavender spinel.

The shank will be in silver. I need to decide between yellow gold or rose gold for the for the area that holds the stone. I did a search and saw TL (if I did not get the name wrong) lavender spinel. She has opted for yellow gold. It looks good to me. But I was thinking that the spinel is a bright pink with purple ovetone, will rose gold goes better?

Lastly, should I go for 14k or 18k? Which color is stronger? thanks in advance.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your lavender spinel more pink or more purple. Do you have a photo of it?

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock
Hello TL! Was that your ring? It looks great! Believe me I tried numerals time to photograph the stone, but my camera simply could not focus, I gave up! !
It is a strong pink with purple overtone, that should beat described the color.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell me which spinel ring of mine you're speaking too? I have a few lavender spinels. ;))

Thanks!

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock
Do you?! I saw a squarish one with a halo of diamond in yellow gold when I search 'lavender spinel" . Would you be kind enough to show me some samples of your lavender spinel? I desperately need samples:)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stonerocks|1307113513|2936890 said:
Do you?! I saw a squarish one with a halo of diamond in yellow gold when I search 'lavender spinel" . Would you be kind enough to show me some samples of your lavender spinel? I desperately need samples:)

The round is pink with purple overtones in 14K rose gold

The pear is the pink with purple overtones in 14K rose gold

The square is pink with purple overtones (it shifts from purple to pink) in 18K yellow gold

The oval is in 14K rose gold, and more purple with a little pink (flanked by two chrysoberyls)

I know some others can post examples for you, as there are many spinel collectors on this board.

I have some purple and violet spinels too, and I prefer them in rose gold. I'm a bit of a rose gold fanatic, but some people like other metals. If you see more examples, than perhaps you can make up your mind.

TLlavenderspinellogr2.jpg

TLlavenderspinelcushionsuperfw.JPG

TLpinklavenderspinelringwow.JPG

TLpurplepinkspinel.JPG

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock
Well, what can I say. They look fabulous! You must have spend a fortune:) frankly, I don't see much diff in the color though? Can I know how much do you pay for a setting like this? Are they in silver or gold band? I do not want to be riP off if you know what I mean:)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stonerocks|1307115713|2936907 said:
Well, what can I say. They look fabulous! You must have spend a fortune:) frankly, I don't see much diff in the color though? Can I know how much do you pay for a setting like this? Are they in silver or gold band? I do not want to be riP off if you know what I mean:)

Thanks!!

They're all gold. I am not a fan of silver, but some people love it, and it's an economical option.

The bottom one was very inexpensive as I won it when gold prices were really low. I bought it from Lord Of the Gem Rings (LOGR) on ebay. His prices have gone up considerably since then, but I think it was around $150 when I bought it.

The 18K one I got second hand, but never been used, and I got a very good deal on it. It's also an LOGR. This setting costs around $500 in 18K gold and upgraded diamonds I'm guessing right now (it could be more). I paid much less, but I was lucky with obtaining this one.

The pear setting was from ebay store jew2004. He has other stores, lan.b04, leejewelry, beyondjewelry3, and it was around $300 if I remember correctly. It wasn't that expensive for what it is. However, his prices have gone up too. I also got the three stone ring from him, and it was around $220 since I didn't use any diamonds. I've been doing lots of multi-stone rings lately to save on the costs of settings by not setting them separately and not using diamonds.

Here's the pear setting. I typically make an offer $100 below the BIN price, but you can see some up close photos to determine if you like the quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/130524669787?ru...ee-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1#ht_3840wt_905

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the heads up! I have a better picture now on the prices. Can I know is 14k or18k yellow/rose gold stronger in it's color? Thanks

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stonerocks|1307119294|2936954 said:
Thanks for the heads up! I have a better picture now on the prices. Can I know is 14k or18k yellow/rose gold stronger in it's color? Thanks

I think there is more of a marked difference in 18K YG vs 14K YG. I prefer rose gold as well since I don't think the difference is that noticeable between 14K and 18K, and therefore, I save more money.

I hope some other people post photos of their lavender spinels in other metal colors so you can get an idea of what you like best.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a couple of lavendars that I have not set yet (I know, shame on me) but I think skin tone can also play a part of what color gold you would go with too. I would likely set mine in yellow gold instead of rose gold because on me it would be big rosy hue and a bit much on me. So with yellow gold (or at least the head) I'd get a better contrast against skin and stone.

The possibilities are endless though.

-A

Stonerocks

Rough_Rock
Hello Arcadian and TL! It seems like spinel is popular here! My gf does not own any rose gold pieces. Most are in white finishes. Actually, for the ring design the claws And shank are going to be in silver. It's just an accent below the claws that I am looking at now. Come to think of it, the choice of gold color should not affect the ring greatly. I decided to go for 18k rose.

Another question, do you think it is a wise idea to set pave diamonds down a silver shank? My understanding of silver is that it is a sifter stone. Can it grasp the diamond securely?

Thanks in advance, I am feeling more confident of my choice now!

Hello Arcadian! Di you mind showing Some photos of your lavender spinel? When we bought it off the hk gemshow, we were told the size of 2.3 carat is not readily available for a Good lavender spinel. Is that true?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results