shape
carat
color
clarity

rose cut question

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
Hi. I'm in the engagement ring market, and I think I might really like a rose cut diamond. I love the big, bold flashes of light, and the lack of a "crushed ice" look, and love that it's a little unique. Because it's not a common request though, I've had a hard time finding anything to look at in my city in person. 2 stores didn't even know what a rose cut was...
Today I went to a store that has more "artsy" or artisan rings. There was an Alex Sepkus ring with 3 small rose cut diamonds, and I truly did love the way the stones danced in the light! They were very small though, and what I see myself (maybe) getting is a bigger rose cut (equivalent in diameter to what a 1ish ct RB would be), set in a simple bezel setting. Not really an antique or vintage-looking setting, but something sleek and sophisticated, with an overall slightly unique look.
Anyway, the store also had 2 larger rose cuts. Both were "natural diamonds," so very cloudy and colored, not what I'm looking for. I want a stone that is clear, like crystal. They told me they could call their vendors and try to bring some stones in for me to see, but that they didn't really think stones with good clarity and color were frequently cut into rose cuts. I've seen some online that look very beautiful and clear though, and I know Single Stone has rings with large, clear-looking rose cuts...
Also, they told me rose cuts usually have a very high dome. It doesn't look like that's always the case from pictures I've seen online though.
So, my question is, are they full of it? Where would you recommend looking for the kind of stone I think I might like (the kicker is, because I haven't seen many in person, I can't be 100% this is the cut I want in the ring I'll wear every day for the rest of my life... I can't just buy something without seeing some in person first...)

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
What I would do in your case is call Alex Sepkus and ask them which jewelers in your area carry the line. From that list of places, see if those jewelers a) know what a rose cut is and b) if they can get any in for you to look at in person. All rose cuts are different and not all have a high dome. They can look rather "glassy" unless they are backed (many people like that subdued look) and it would be beneficial to see if you like that characteristic.

Best of luck!

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
sorry, I guess I wasn't totally clear - the jeweler I was at today carries Alex Sepkus's rings, one of which had 3 small rose cut stones, so I got to see what a clear white rose cut looks like in person, but the stones were much smaller than what I would be interested in. I like his rings, but they're not quite what I want for myself.
Anyway, the jeweler said they could try to bring some in, but they weren't optimistic that lower-domed, clear, fairly colorless rose cuts exist, which I think is false.
Exhibit A: http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=3&pID=891&startRow=5 That setting isn't what I'd be interested in though...
I think I'm pickier than I used to think...

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
You can try Ann McKay, Caleb Meyer, or James Meyer. I just got a rose cut diamond from J. Meyer. It's a very nice clean stone and is pretty white to me. I already want another rose cut diamond.

pkanawha

Rough_Rock
Do you live near a large metropolitan area where they periodically have antique shows, also antique shops? I'm a fan of these and I occasionally see rose cut diamonds at these venues. You would only be able to see the diamond in its origianl setting, but it would give you a better idea of whether you really like the look of a rose cut diamond. You might also get a good price if in fact you decided you liked it. If so, you could afford to toss the old mounting and have the diamond reset in the ring of your choice or design.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
www.jewelsbyericagrace.com actually has a beautiful rose cut ring (already set) on their site as well as quite a few loose ones. Not sure the size you are looking for but I'm sure they have at least .5 carats in the parcel and probably a few that are larger. They make amazing custom settings too and would be a dream to work with setting a rose cut diamond.

I LOVE rose cuts. LOVE them.
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/Rose-Cut-Parcel-Ovals-and/15988929_BuNvv#1199341077_nVhrs

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-diamonds/150ct-est-Antique-Rose-Cut/17832024_zTmwcz#1363304530_4r3jkpr

And this rose cut ring is beautiful. However it wasn't fully eye clean (is from 12" away but not upon close inspection) but it's AMAZING
http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=14&pID=372&startRow=16

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
I second a call to JbEG. They specialize in the older cuts and would absolutely be able to make your dream ring a reality. I love rose cuts as well and have my eye on their incredible rosecut eternity bezel band - fantastic!!! :love: :love:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
vintagelover229|1311267747|2973844 said:
www.jewelsbyericagrace.com actually has a beautiful rose cut ring (already set) on their site as well as quite a few loose ones. Not sure the size you are looking for but I'm sure they have at least .5 carats in the parcel and probably a few that are larger. They make amazing custom settings too and would be a dream to work with setting a rose cut diamond.

I LOVE rose cuts. LOVE them.
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/Rose-Cut-Parcel-Ovals-and/15988929_BuNvv#1199341077_nVhrs

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-diamonds/150ct-est-Antique-Rose-Cut/17832024_zTmwcz#1363304530_4r3jkpr

And this rose cut ring is beautiful. However it wasn't fully eye clean (is from 12" away but not upon close inspection) but it's AMAZING
http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=14&pID=372&startRow=16

I was going to recommend that ring from JbEG also, it's gorgeous and great face up size!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
MMMmmmmm... rose cuts! Feast your eyes... :love:

Helix™ solitaire ring, featuring 5 carat rose cut diamond.

rosecut_mege.jpg

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
love the LM ring - the stone is beautiful and i'd love the ring even more if there were no side stones and a bezel setting instead of the prongs, but it's gorgeous.
I like the rbeg stone, but something about the bezel seems a little off.
both rings are along the lines of what I'm thinking though!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Wow Ninama! The rose cut pic is incredible! Delicious and rare I guess! :love: :love:

mrsjacob

Shiny_Rock
Kateszabone on Etsy has gorgeous simple bezel designs, and I'm sure she could find a rose cut for you. She is wonderful to work with.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Any updates? Did you find something you like?

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
I really like those pictures from etsy - pretty much exactly what I have in mind! I just want to see what it would look like in person, and it sounds like at least 2 local jewelers said they do custom designs and would help me locate the perfect rock... If I do go with a rose cut I would really like to go with one that is >=J in color, and essentially eye-clean. I know that can be a tall order with this cut, from what I've heard. I also would LOVE to look at OEC or antique cushions in person, so I'm wishing I lived in a bigger city... Honestly, if I had a bezel-set ring with a beautiful RB, I would be more than happy because it's the style of ring that I'm interested in (though the uniqueness of a rose cut appeals to me so much, and I am in love with the big bold flashes of light instead of the crushed-ice look...), and the most important thing to me is what the ring represents, and I am so lucky and happy in that regard... Life is so good - Hawaiian vacation for November booked tonight, hoping that might be when he proposes, we'll see!

anora

Rough_Rock
Hello...

Ninama

Thank you for sharing this information. I like your rose cut ring very much.
It look very beautiful and attractive...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results